new idea for rust in gas tank

flannelman /

well i was think last night while cleaning my gas tank out

why is it that your oil tank is rust free and your gas tank get rust in it hmmmmm......

gas must have water in it right , but i think the bigger problem is when you store your bike for the winter .

the problem is if you leave gas in it the water settles and starts to rust and if you drain it then it starts to rust .

so heres a thought why dont you drain all the gas out of it and fill it with 2 stroke oil then the oil will prevent rust from happening . that way in the next spring you can drain the oil and you first tank of gas might be a little oily but afer that it should be find

so what do you think of this idea i thought it was a good idea for the most part

Re: new idea for rust in gas tank

it should work, but it wi l.l be a bitch to cleanout in the spring

flannelman /

all you would have to do is run a little gas though it

I think if you just completely fill your tank with the normal gasoline/oil mix before winter storage you shouldn't have any problems. It isn't a matter of water "settling" from the gas. It's condensation that builds up in the empty space inside your tank due to temperature variations, etc.

also if you filled it up the day that you put it away with fresh gas the gas will still be fresh like 9 months later

Coating the Tank

peashooter /

Cant you just buy a kreem kit and coat the inside of the tank. Not just to fix an already rusty/dirty tank. But the lining in the tank would also prevent rusting occuring. For

30$ a kreem kit would be well worth the tank not ever rusting.

Re: Coating the Tank

peashooter /

Also, doesnt aluminuem not rust. Why dont company's coat the inside of mopeds gas tanks with aluminium? Or would that be affected by the gas/affect the gas.

InfectedBootSector /

Aluminum doesn't rust per say, like Iron, but it does oxidize. Ever look at a set of aluminum rims on a car and see all the white powder all over them?

The best thing to make taks out of would probably be either a hardened, treated plastic, like gas cans are made of ( hard to keep painted ), or stainless steel ( too much $$ and very heavy... ever see a Delorean float? )

They do pretty good these days with newer bikes.

I think they will be able to make compsites cheaper in the future, which will make everything better in whole.

I wouldsuggest adding a gas stabilizer/preservative to your fuel tank before storing it for the winter. Gas will begin to turn into varnish in just a matter of months.

I would drain that tank of gas out before starting it again in the spring. It's a lot cheaper/easier to drain a $2 tank of gas than to risk running stale gas in a bike that's been sitting for several months.

SteelToad /

Ohhhh. A carbon fiber moped, now that would be cool :)

Peashooter /

what about the kreem kit idea ppl, it seems like ppl only responded to my 2nd post.

david f martin /

I think the kreem kit is a good idea for a rusty tank, but if your tank isn't rusty, and you ride often enough to keep the rust away, why bother?

david

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account