Novice upgrading a Honda pa50ii HELP!

ben eggleston /

Hi folks,

I've got a 1976 Honda pa50ii and am looking to buy the DR kit for it and a custom head.

Then i had a thought, the custom heads from Treats, all have no Decompression.

How do i kill the engine on my bike when I've reached my destination? I don't have a kill switch (as it didn't have one back then), so use the decompression lever to kill the engine, as strangely my hobbit idles very well.

any help appreciated. cheers

Re: Novice upgrading a Honda pa50ii HELP!

Dirty30 Dillon /

You could simply install a killswitch, it just has to interrupt the signal to your HT coil.

^^ There's a wire that supplies power to the coil, probably black with a white stripe. (there is also a ground wire and the output with the spark plug boot.)

A kill switch simply grounds the power to the coil using a normally open switch.

You could also open the same wire/connection by routing the power connection through a normally closed switch.

In each case you're destroying the coil's ability to create the electrical field that collapses to create spark.

Those DRs run hot, so use a head that cools rapidly and don't go too lean on the fuel mix.

ben eggleston /
egg OP

cheers for the advice!!! yea ill look into getting a kill switch put in then, cant be that hard (famous last words) yea been reading about the overheating issues so thought a better head was on the tables, any brands for head you recommend to fit well with a DR ?

The derbi head for Honda is a great option. Really big head.

ben eggleston /
egg OP

with the derby head do you need different length cylinder studs i take it?

Does yours have an ignition key? That turns the engine off on mine. Odd there is no handlebar mounted kill switch.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> ben eggleston wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> with the derby head do you need different length cylinder studs i take

> it?

I would highly suggest transitioning from head bolts to studs/nuts anyways, as the design using head bolts is not advantageous for consistent servicing that is typically needed on a modified bike.

ben eggleston /
egg OP

negative no ignition key or battery ect, just pedal to start, so nice and easy to steal!!! think it was one of the first pa50ii 's before they changed the headlight/speedo ect.

bikes currently in 2 parts but will pop a picture up here when i get it back together :D

Would love to see it, mine is a '78, while no battery it has a key switch and a bar mounted kill switch, perhaps you guys got them before the US did, I always thought '78 was the first yr of the Hobbit?

ben eggleston /
egg OP

here's the plate on the forks all the way from france/belgium

278565628_401716631960986_417261209300591298_n.jpg

Cool, pics of bars and switch-gear?

ben eggleston /
egg OP

As I said the bikes in parts right now, but here it is if I balance the frame back on the engine ( got all covers ect and headlight off right now, runs nice but just fancy suping it up a-bit as it’s my new (money pit) hobby….

90F755A7-3F05-4470-8B9A-2A0696216CC8.jpeg
3A5F90AF-8938-49D8-BE8C-56F2300FEE34.jpeg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account