Motorized Bike kit on moped frame

Was wondering if anybody has attempted to fit a motorized bike kit on their moped at some point either for shits and giggles or in the situation like me where if their engine ever shits itself they're out of luck, I got a 76 Motobecane Cady and am preparing for the day this may happen

Also apparently these M1 Isodyne engines aren't very good performance wise and I might want something faster anyway when I get my bike fully going, an 80cc kit off ebay would be a much cheaper option from what I've been looking at I would just need to be creative with mounting it.

Any insight would be appreciated a lot.

Re: Motorized Bike kit on moped frame

The Chinese engines are a hit-or-miss deal, they're built really cheaply but some (like mine) will last forever. I put 10,000 really abusive miles on mine and just blew the top end on it. Then you get the ones that blow up halfway down the block and are trashed out of the box. Pretty much all moped engines are way better and will last for way longer, provided you take care of them

Eric Touzin /

Yeah my first one I got lasted forever, never had an issue with it until it got finessed when I was doing an interview of all times. Now that I think of it some 4 stroke honda engine mounted on the back of it would do me more good if it ever came down to it.

The M1 Isodyne did fire up today when I tried it and turned the wheel so my hopes are up for it. Hopefully it lasts awhile and doesn't need much work for the engine when I start really testing it.

Don’t buy a back up Chinese motor for your moby.

Just ride it and fix it if it breaks.

Eric Touzin /

No parts available within reason for my motor, probably just gonna hook up a honda engine to the back when / if it ever shits itself

If you want to go faster get the Cady running well and sell it for a Puch or something with more performance options, the Cady is not, nor was it ever designed to be fast, and the engines are real oddballs to find parts for. Adding another engine will just slow you down with the extra weight, and ruin the already limited resale value of the bike. Better yet, sell the thing and use the money from it and the engine you intend to buy to add on and get yourself an electric bicycle.

Dirty30 Dillon /

No experience firsthand, but from what I recall you can mount a Motobecane AV7 on here with minor fabrication.

Eric Touzin /

When I say put another engine I mean just get rid of the Cady engine off it and put on something bigger on the back as that would be easiest to mount with little fabrication, I'd keep the original motor for resale if I ever choose to but it would really be just for myself

I would preferably like to stick with something gas

Eric Touzin /

Yeah I was doing some reading into that too. Would be my best shot but you can only really get your hands on a used one but they're decent condition.

I was gonna start doing some measurements and see if I can put the AV7 top end onto it, would just need some minor fabricating

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account