UPDATE: new features on the Buy + Sell forum

Hi everyone. Today I launched an update to the Buy + Sell forum that adds the ability to indicate if your post is “For Sale” or “Want to Buy.” When you sell your item, or find what you’re looking for, you can then mark your post as “Sold” or “Found” and it will close the thread. At the top of the list view you’ll find new filtering options, which lets you choose to view only certain types of posts, and filter out those that have been sold/found.

This is the first update where I’ve added features specific to the Buy + Sell forum. My goal is to improve the ability to connect buyers and sellers while maintaining open discussion on active listings.

I wrote a script to update previous forum posts with the new tags, using language cues in the title to determine if it should be FS or WTB. It’s not perfect, but it should help to kickstart the new feature. You can go back and mark previous posts as “Sold” or “Found,” although it’s probably most valuable to just start doing that going forward.

One thing to note is that you’re not forced into choosing one of these topic categories, in fact new posts default to “Other” if you don’t make a selection. This allows for posts about trades, discussion of an upcoming swap meet, or other relevant Buy + Sell topics which don’t fit neatly into FS/WTB categories.

There might be some bugs here and there with this update, so please do let me know if anything is acting wonky.

ma-buysellforum-tags.png

Re: UPDATE: new features on the Buy + Sell forum

campeona del mundo /

but how will i still get my bi-monthly purchase inquiry about a moped i sold in 2016?

Simon King /

> campeona del mundo wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> but how will i still get my bi-monthly purchase inquiry about a moped i

> sold in 2016?

They can always send you a PM. 😉

Sick, thanks for the addition!

punkrock randy /

Great update, thx much👍🏼🥇

Cooool

I like!

Nice!

Oh man this is great! Thanks Simon

Wow great feature! I wonder if people will continue to put WTB or FS in the title of their post? Only time will tell....

Cool update!

Once again, great move Simon!

Larry Picarello /

Thanks, I've sold many mopeds thru this forum, Is there a way now to adjust the price in the title?

Simon King /

> Larry Picarello wrote:

> Is there a way now to adjust the price in the title?

No, I didn’t make any changes to editing in this update, outside of being able to mark it as sold/found. But there will be more changes coming in the future!

Now ya just need to make a Swiss version I guess 😂

> Jackerz ! wrote:

> Now ya just need to make a Swiss version I guess 😂

Simon King /

Yeah, I guess the Swiss guy bumping all the old threads today is making the case that it could be good to go mark old posts as sold/found too. BTW, if it’s not clear, the link to do that is at the bottom of the original (first) post in the thread. Only visible and usable by the OP. (edited)

Awesome, thanks Simon!

Haha I just logged in and saw all those posts. I was like wow a whole bunch of new b/s posts and then I saw his profile where he made 18 posts all today ALL on really old threads. Perfect timing for your update, thanks Simon!

Simon King /

> Simon King wrote:

> new posts default to “Other” if you don’t make a selection.

It seems that having a default selection wasn't a good idea, since multiple people made posts tagged as "Other" when they were in fact "For Sale." I guess they overlooked the new options. I've changed the form so it requires an active selection of the post type. Hopefully this ensures properly tagged posts going forward.

Nice addition!

That's a great ideal. It'll make life easier for old, blind Noobs...like me lol

Love this new feature but would it be possible to add the "Hide Sold" function when looking at all posts? It's currently only available when sorting by either For Sale or Wanted.

Another thought is maybe color coding each tag? When sorting by all the grey blobs kinda all blend together.

Pushrod Fifty /

Keep it simple, its mopeds.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account