Re: QT50 Body Kit Build Cassette Futurism

Pushrod Fifty /

+1 for the PBR 30. I'm willing to donate my 80s boom box for this build.

Ian MacKenzie /

Quick update as of this early morning.

Body kit is taken shape. I’ve decided I’m definitely going with handle bars through the body kit to give that better look to the bike.

I’ve taken the liberty to draw it all up in AutoCAD so if anyone would like a 3d rendering of the body kit I can try and figure out how to send it to you.

Sorry if I’ve been absent on this build log. I’ve recently found out I have a brain malformation that sounds treatable, but calls for a surgery to fix.

I did also manage to score a working, like new, JIL cassette player. It’s way too nice to hack up for the body kit to be the power switch. But I’ll enjoy listening to old cassettes while wrenching.

I will see if I can attach a photo of the small progress I made on the bike. I did also sorta figure out the gauge cluster location on the bike using the stock gauge cluster.

6AE93588-C27B-42B7-9E9A-020CBA9438F2.jpeg

I hope you heal up quick man!

This thing is so cool

> Ian MacKenzie wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

> Sorry if I’ve been absent on this build log. I’ve recently found out I

> have a brain malformation that sounds treatable, but calls for a surgery

> to fix.

>

Hopefully that^ isn't as bad as it sounds .

Best wishes for you . :)

Ian MacKenzie /

Thanks guys!

It’s basically a simple surgery from the sounds of it. A shunt will be put in the back of my brain to drain fluid from it to the lower part of my body for it to soak it up. That will relieve the pressure in my head and give back motor control and brain function that I’m missing.

I still won’t have as much brain control and function as my brothers do. Which I still have a fair bit already but nowhere near them, lol, as my brothers are both one is in the military and the other joining him hopefully this summer.

All the best Ian for your upcoming op, hope you get back on this project soon, I've been enjoying watching your ideas progress. When you booked in for the mod?

Ian MacKenzie /

No clue as of yet. Still need to get a mri done for the surgeon to look at it. Luckily all of this is free in Canada. And based off of a hunch my brain wasn’t doing “something” right my new doctor booked me in for a CT scan.

Well 10 points to your hunch and a further 10 to your new doctor who listened and acted, that's some catch!

Ian MacKenzie /

My wife and I had noticed my speech was slurring and having serious issues remember stuff or painting models for a game my brothers and I played the last few months. So much so I stopped playing as easy rules to remember got too much to handle. Turns out it was something missed when I was a infant that my doctor caught now as I haven’t had a ct done since I was a child.

So I guess it should really be 10 points to my wife catching it lol

Pushrod Fifty /

Hoping for the best.

Good luck man.

My sister was around 23 when she started having blurred vision and bad headaches. Eventually docs found a golf ball sized fluid filled cyst in the middle of her brain. Like yours, they installed a shunt to drain the cerebrospinal fluid and she had an almost instant full recovery.

That was 17 years ago. She’s still doing great. That experience lead her to a career as a nurse.

Hope you heal fast/well and build this body kit.

Ian MacKenzie /

Thanks for the knowledge. It’s sounding similar. It wouldn’t have been dandy walker syndrome she had was it?

Sorry for the slow response. My sister didn’t have Dandy-Walker. Her cyst was classified as “etiology unknown”. Also, I was wrong about the treatment. A shunt was more invasive, they opted to just go into her brain and poke a hole in it.

Another odd part to her story, her best friend growing up found out she had an arachnoid cyst around the same time as my sister (don’t know what those girls were getting into). They had different treatments but both had good outcomes and are doing fine almost 20 years later.

I’m sure these things seem scary, but it’s apparently more common than what most people would think and the medical treatment has a pretty good handle on it.

Great how the build is coming along despite the obstacles. Im sure you will get through everything.

Tell your brother to go Air Force. They get paid extra when they stay on Army bases because of “substandard living conditions” Lol

Ian MacKenzie /

Thanks for the knowledge. I seem hopeful for the outcome of this. Just been updated I do a MRI just before the surgery. Which the MRI is booked out till early July so that’s a ways off.

Jonathan my brother actually went artillery. Though in basic he had two pilots one of which thought very much so he was Tom cruise from top gun.

Little update this morning. The STL design is finished and ready to be sent out to be cut. Decided I am going aluminum and I’ll give it a brushed look with some steel wool.

If anyone is wanting this body kit let me know by the end of the month. And when I go to send the file I’ll have a extra one cut for whoever wants one.

I had to look up "cassette futurism" as I grew up with cassettes, but that is of no matter, best of luck with your operation.

Ian MacKenzie /

Thanks Stephen!

^ Very welcome, I had a friend who had a non cancerous brain tumor removed and she did very well,,,medical stuff is crazy good these days. I may not understand the look you are going for, but always happy to see somebody riding!

Ian MacKenzie /

Well I’m glad to hear your friend made it through okay on the surgery. :)

The look definitely isn’t for everyone. I was trying to pay respects to tron and robocop and judge dredd. I think it’s come across okay on the styling.

I’m not sure itll be super comfy for me as I dwarf most bikes but I’ll get it out to all the shows in the area that allow bikes. And the ones I don’t I’ll park it outside the show lol.

Ian MacKenzie /

Update as of yesterday.

Removed the foam board to get access to the engine and wiring as I no longer need them on the bike and would rather start making actual improvements to its performance.

Removed the puch head I had previously sanded down to increase compression and the barrel. I took a mil or two off the top of the barrel as well in preparation for the base gasket mod I plan on getting in the mail this week.

I had also removed the carbon build up in the exhaust port and also ported the cylinder to increase flow.

Working my way through the wiring harness I discovered the wires for the rear lights were all cut along with the front turn signals. I wired in a sealed battery that I currently have strapped to the rack till I can make a proper mount for it. However the gauge and horn are working okay.

Personal update on the dandy walker malformation if anyone is curious. Memory is slowly getting worse. Along with speech it’s starting to slur worse by the day. Sounding like as soon as I get the MRI scan a week later I’ll be in surgery. On another personal note. I have a lot to change in my life as my wife and I are expecting our first baby and between the surgery and the baby coming we have to start looking at plans for things.

> Ian MacKenzie wrote:

> I have a lot to change in my life as my wife and I are expecting our first baby and

> between the surgery and the baby coming we have to start looking at

> plans for things.

Congratulations, that's the most excellent news! I recently became a dad and I'm loving every minute, even the hard bits. Fingers crossed that your MRI appointment is as soon as and please keep is posted on everything.

Regarding the qt, have you decided on how your going to fix the panels together? (edited)

> Ian MacKenzie wrote:

> I have a lot to change in my life as my wife and I are expecting our first baby and

> between the surgery and the baby coming we have to start looking at

> plans for things.

Congratulations . First born are always special . ;)

Memory: not so good

Speech: slurring

Moped building: A+

Baby making skillz: 100% 😉

Congrats on the kid and staying positive throughout this. Your resilience is inspiring.

Ian MacKenzie /

Thanks Tom!

And as far as mounting the panels to the bike I was debating on making either tabs that weld to the bike frame that can be easily enough ground off if it’s wanting to be converted back. Or using mounting points that are already on the bike.

Either way I do plan on making a exoskeleton of where the panels will end up on the bike. And may do something with aluminum 90° angle metal along the outer edges.

Ian MacKenzie /

Thanks PD! We are very excited for them coming into this wonderful and crazy world.

Ian MacKenzie /

Thanks Papa!

I’ve been trying to stay positive for everyone involved. And the little baby coming into the picture makes me want to better my health more then ever.

✨KARL✨RAY ✨JEBSON✨ /

> Ian MacKenzie wrote:

> Memory is slowly getting worse. Along with speech it’s starting to

> slur worse by the day. Sounding like as soon as I get the MRI scan a

> week later I’ll be in surgery

>

>I have a lot to change in my life as my wife and I are expecting our first baby

sounds very responsible, good job

Ian MacKenzie /

It’s been a bit since I wrote on this forum. So here’s the update on the qt50 build and life.

The qt50 I’m actually trading with a friend for his wife to ride. So I’m putting it back to fully stock body style without a body kit being built for it. His wife wants a little putt around town kinda bike and this is what we figured would be great for her.

I’ve gotten in the copper 3/8th inch base gasket to raise the barrel and head up on the engine. To give her a few extra mph.

Running very well on premium mixed with 2t oil. I gotta do some finishing assembling to it to get it ready for her.

As far as personal life goes. Been a bit of a uphill battle.

I know I might have spilled the beans about my wife and I having our first pregnancy. But that’s a sad ending I’d rather not say. Still getting used to it not happening anymore.

Surgery is looking promising. Sounding like I may be booked for one of the head (kinda a purposeful joke) doctors in Ontario to do it. My family doctor who found the issues I was having alarming managed to pull a few strings as far as surgeons go.

If anyone wants the file for the qt50 body kit let me know. I have a rough draft I had drawn up I can freely send to you as long as my internet works well enough to send a file that size.

> Ian MacKenzie wrote:

> It’s been a bit since I wrote on this forum. So here’s the update on the

> qt50 build and life.

>

> The qt50 I’m actually trading with a friend for his wife to ride. So I’m

> putting it back to fully stock body style without a body kit being built

> for it. His wife wants a little putt around town kinda bike and this is

> what we figured would be great for her.

>

> I’ve gotten in the copper 3/8th inch base gasket to raise the barrel

> l and head up on the engine. To give her a few extra mph.

>

> Running very well on premium mixed with 2t oil. I gotta do some

> finishing assembling to it to get it ready for her.

>

> As far as personal life goes. Been a bit of a uphill battle.

>

> I know I might have spilled the beans about my wife and I having our

> first pregnancy. But that’s a sad ending I’d rather not say. Still

> getting used to it not happening anymore.

>

> Surgery is looking promising. Sounding like I may be booked for one of

> the head (kinda a purposeful joke) doctors in Ontario to do it. My

> family doctor who found the issues I was having alarming managed to pull

> a few strings as far as surgeons go.

>

> If anyone wants the file for the qt50 body kit let me know. I have a

> rough draft I had drawn up I can freely send to you as long as my

> internet works well enough to send a file that size.

Good the QT is going to a good home .

Sorry to hear about the mis . Been there . :(

And it's always nice to know that someone that has an idea of what they are doing will be toying with your brain . ;)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account