why winterize?

is the main reason most people put their mopeds away for winter just the cold sometimes unbearable riding? or is there some sort of damage that can be done by regular cold and possibly snow riding? here in bethlehem we keep our mopeds available for yearlong riding (so long as they're running).

dave

RE: why winterize?

Ron Brown /

Dave,

The only damage I am aware of is caused by salt. Even when the roads are dry, if you have not had a good rain, you will accumulate salt dust on the ped. Salt is anhydrous (sp?) and attracts moisture so it attacks chrome and alloy even when sitting in the garage.

Wipe or wash the ped regularly and try to make your short trips longer to give everything a chance to warm up.

Enjoy the cold and remember the wonders of a Thinsulate snowmobile suit (on sale soon for about $100).

Ron

RE: why winterize?

Ron Brown /

Dave,

As I continued prpping my motorcycle for the winter, I realized I had short changed you on my last post.

Clean your ped and dry it thoroughly, preferably by riding for a while. Use a good Auto paste wax and wax everything. I use a cheap 1 inch bristle paint brush from the discount tool store ($0.25) to get the bolt heads and other nooks and crannies, you can also use another brush to clean up these areas. Keep everything lubed, especially the cables and chain. A couple of drops of oil on all moving parts which do not have grease nipples works wonders.

The wax will help prevent the corosive salt water from gettin into the bolt holes, spoke nipples etc., helping avoid problems in the future.

This kind of detailed clean up also gives you an opportunity to catch loose nuts and bolts, spokes etc, before they become a major problem.

Ron

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account