1978 Garelli

If screw behind clutch is too tight will that make the wheel hard to move when peddling or turning the wheel by hand?

Re: 1978 Garelli

No the rubber on your clutch is swollen. Remove the rubber parts and sand them down like 1mm and reinstall or just replace. Common issue with Garellis

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

^This usually happens because someone put detergent oil in the transmission case. You MUST use non-detergent oil or the rubber clutch will swell and grab.

Ive answered this in your other thread in the repair section.

The first thing I would do is to be damn sure the starter lever and its cable are not too tight. It could be that the starter clutch is not disengaging when you let off of the lever. The original starter cables were not adjustable and made to a predetermined length to prevent just this from happening. Over the years, some peeps will have replaced the starter cable with anything they could find that would fit. When that happens the cable tension will most likely be set too tight and the starter clutch wont disengage when you let off of the starter lever. I have had a couple such Garelli mopeds with this problem. Its very difficult to adjust the tension on the starter cable using the starter lever (on the handle bars)for "feel". Rather, I use the lever on the top of the motor just under the floor boards to set cable tension by feel. Best way to tell whats going on is to remove clutch cover and inspect the starter clutch cam for excessive wear. Here is a pic of what happens when someone sets the starter cable tension too tight. Its constantly engaged after the motor starts and fries the cam..

20161015_005944.jpg

Its possible for the clutch bell to get rubber welded onto the crank. Buncha rubber bits floating around, get hot and smear, pita to clean out.

> pat splat wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Its possible for the clutch bell to get rubber welded onto the crank.

> Buncha rubber bits floating around, get hot and smear, pita to clean

> out.

The steps I mentioned would be the first most basic steps before going further into the motor with your steps. Thank you.

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

ooopps

Billy needs some time out^^. Wfff

So in the end my problem after replacing the piston and rings was the screw that holds on clutch hub was over tightened which caused clutch to constantly engage. I loosened screw and so far so good. 🤞🏽🤞🏽

^dont think thats a fix but if it works then great.

Not a thing. There is something else not seated properly that is causing the assembly to stick out to far and hit the cover. You have a gasket on the cover correct? That could be all the additional clearance that is needed.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account