Plastic Side Cover Repair

These are side covers off a weathered 75 Sachs. The left cover was torn and both had a soft chalky deteriorated surface. I sanded the surfaces and patched the left cover using fiberglass cloth and resin. The covers were then painted with a rattle can of truck bed liner. Results were okay for what it is. This is a 200 dollar bike and not a concours restoration. Tips: Sand the the covers with wet and dry paper. Dry paper clogs up immediatley. Rough up the surface that you apply the fiberglass cloth to. I used a 1/4 inch die grinder since adhesion is poor. Drill a small hole at the end of a crack to stop migration. The truck bed liner is from a rattle can and produces a semi flat speckled surface...

DSC_4202.jpg
TED_9881.jpg
TED_9886.jpg

Re: Plastic Side Cover Repair

Looks great from my house . ;)

looks good and might be a good upgrade to keep okayish side covers healthy for even longer.

Should of left the zip ties in place

Ted Grant /

The zip ties are still there on the back side of the cover. Once the fibreglass is cured you snip off the heads on the finished side.

TED_9888.jpg

Stitches ... LOL

That's a pretty cool technique! Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Ted Grant /

You're welcome! You could expect better results if you have access to professional auto body supplies. A high build primer and adhesion promoter would give better results. This 45 year old plastic has the same adhesion qualities as a block of nylon...

Good job Ted!

Ted Grant /

Thanks for the kind words. I hope this procedure helps someone out....

Sem makes a flexible plastic surfacer in a rattle can, works great. I use it with the trim paint but the bedliner looks really nice and probably a lot less sanding. Funny I had to do the same thing to my Sachs.... The side covers are especially bad about UV I guess.

Pushrod Fifty /

I rebuilt a deteriorated and cracked to hell Honda leg shield by grooving out the cracks and bonding with hot weld glue from a craft store. The hot weld adhered really good. I finished it off with stranded fiberglass filler and fusion paint. It lasted 10 years.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account