This Just Happened. Boy, do I Have an “Eagle” Eye!

I just picked this up. 1982 Eagle III with original paperwork & title. Complete and supposed to run. Unfortunately spray painted black, but that’ll buff out. I drove five hours for it, and the guy has been holding it for me for a week! I paid the full $300. I think I did alright. More to come, but Turkey first.

5278A4B1-DC9C-4EA1-ABEC-9AC89FED3488.jpeg
E2861533-39DC-4816-86B6-54A1C63112AE.png

Re: This Just Happened. Boy, do I Have an “Eagle” Eye!

Probably Fred /

Good platform you did ok, hopefully that is a D engine not a C or other restricted engine

Here is engine differences https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Sachs_Motor_Differences

It has the square cylinder, so it’s either a C or D. But I gotta check which one for sure in the daylight.

nice score either way

$300 is a deal for that.

Nice!

A friend out here got one for $100 (IIRC) a while back at the junkyard; someone had brought it in to be scrapped. Initially the yard workers didn't want to sell it, but they couldn't get it running.

Great score!

I has the D

Everybody wants the D

505/1D that is.

^ Awesome!

Birds of prey are federally protected under law.

This is my first top tank. I love the styling of the G3/Eagle III. They’re nice looking bikes. I’m looking forward to getting it home and tearing into it. It looks so sad in the back of my truck getting rained on.

Probably Fred /

It should look something like this under the paint, mine only had the A engine but still went 28-30mph,

Good looking bikes they go for a good price. After I got new gas cap cover at handy bikes and touched up the paint on mine someone made me a offer for it I couldn’t refuse

DDDA98D0-E013-43DC-A9AE-4D55F3483040.jpeg

Yes! I love the silver paint these came with. I hope I’m able to remove the thick, runny layer of black spray paint. I have Goof-Off graffiti remover, but not supposed to use it on plastic.

I did some research on these the week before I went to get it. I was glad to find it had the D engine. 2.7 hp, IIRC. Sounds promising for stock power, and it seems there is a lot of performance upgrades for the D engine.

Sweet! That's a deal at twice the price. Fun winter project for you...

> Seth B wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yes! I love the silver paint these came with. I hope I’m able to remove

> the thick, runny layer of black spray paint. I have Goof-Off graffiti

> remover, but not supposed to use it on plastic.

I recommend testing that in a non-conspicuous place; it cut right through the rattlecan on my tomos and also took off the stock paint.

I used it before on a Free Spirit that someone rattle canned blue. It worked great without affecting the shiny silver paint beneath.

Yeah, I read about people having good luck with it on other bikes too, but it was too aggressive for that tomos.

I actually like the flat black...and that seat is awesome, D sachs rocks, an easy 40 mph bike with great style, a deal at twice the price!

They are about the best top tank frames, the D motor ones can do mid 30s easy with a gear swap but out of box they are geared way low. They have damn near the best pipe stock in all of mopeds but a sha or round 15 bing helps them quite a bit. The square bing isn't terrible by itself but the stock air filter chokes it down and if you take it off it's hard to get to run right.

Paul Boyer (OFMC) /

2 thumbs up!

At least they didn't spraybomb the forks and rims.

I finally got this baby home, and put it up on the bench yesterday. The paint isn’t as bad as I thought, but I t’s not great. It looks like a high school kid painted it 35 years ago. It’s like metallic black with gold metal flake. It’ll do until I decide to strip it down and repaint it proper. Maybe.

D0B4387E-461A-4E71-88AC-5345157841B0.jpeg
537685AE-131B-440D-BCD0-9332E9355D5F.jpeg
F1F1E816-E8E1-4CF0-8AFA-A7BF90AAA97A.jpeg

Odometer shows 104 miles, but speedo cable is broken, and so is the needle. The dude I bought it from was the second owner. It was given to him when the original owner died. He told me it has less than 300 miles, but who really knows. Original tires have great tread but are weather checked.

1B8FB6BC-4B83-45D8-99D1-2B082DAEFB3D.jpeg

It looks like someone had an air leak at the decomp. Surely a blob of JB Weld on the end will seal it! Yeah, gotta fix that!

FEF809C3-7CED-40E0-BBA7-2EE5741C7EFB.jpeg

But it’s the most complete bike I’ve picked up. It still has original owners manual, key, air pump, and tools!

9F0CEDF2-D2B8-4408-8351-28F1F3995F7A.jpeg

Gas tank was a little rusty inside, so it’s soaking full of Evaporust. I’ll drain it later today. Airbox is busted, but a replacement is on the way.

F0017D9D-55B8-4257-AD10-3B524E56A405.jpeg

He even painted the airbox to match. Jeez. But the best part is the 505/1D engine. I’m excited about learning this platform.

BB5D3D11-2F3A-42A0-802D-2F83F566A05C.jpeg

^^¿¿WTF??^^

> Seth B wrote:

> ^^¿¿WTF??^^

Slew is being a bad boy again, haha

> Seth B wrote:

> ^^¿¿WTF??^^

Haha right....nice score Seth. I always got kinda lucky finding mopeds with keys. You’re getting a nice little herd in the last three or so years. I do realize you are kind of in a moped desert but, I am impressed with the determination to pull them out of the wood work.... enjoy your sachs education.

What is the difference between the eagle 3 and the g3? Always liked the g3. Seem like beefy bikes.

> Satan 666 wrote:

> What is the difference between the eagle 3 and the g3? Always liked the

> g3. Seem like beefy bikes.

From what I’ve read, there is no difference. When Hercules stopped shipping to USA in 1980 or 81, due to government regulations and license requirements, they rebadged the G3 and sold it to Canadian manufacturer Bombardier, for one year only. They called it the Eagle III, and removed the Sachs badging, but left the Hercules emblem on the headlight ears and gas cap. Other than that, they are the same.

Something’s Fucky.

I noticed it’s really stiff to pedal or push. I disconnected the drive chain, and brakes and bearings aren’t dragging. So I suspect clutch shimming is messed up. I pulled the clutch cover, and saw this:

EBEC9D3E-5CFC-4BB3-945D-402B6B063168.jpeg

Now, I’ve never had a Sachs apart before, but I can tell this ain’t right, right off the bat. The clutch arm doesn’t even contact the center of the bell. My guess is that the spring goes under the arm, not between the ears. I’m gonna have to pull the cover off my Columbia 505/1A and see how it’s supposed to be.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account