Massachusetts Registration wants an inspection?

Background

So I just had a Family member go to the Rmv for me to get a registration and plate for me since me and the moped are out of state for Uni. I just bought it out here 2 days ago a couple towns over from my school, and the cops are awful round these parts so doing it the proper way is the only way (No riding dirty for me the little thing needs a plate out here as well >:(... )

Problem

So on the registration is says "if this vehicle is newly acquired it must be inspected within 7 days of registration"

BUT I AM CONFUSED BECAUSE!

A: How the heck do they even inspect a moped?

B: What Inspection Stations would even take a moped? Nothing on any MA website can tell me where a moped goes for inspection, Only Cars and other stuff.

C: The moped wont be in Mass till like summer 22 when I graduate (Long after 7 days LMAO)

Anyone got experience with this? Its my first moped (96 Targa) and I'm trying to to mess this up so all help appreciated!

Re: Massachusetts Registration wants an inspection?

roots to wings /

If you register it as a 49cc moped that goes 25 mph you won't need an inspection

They gonna pull your head off and whip the caliper out lol

> Dan H wrote: How the heck do they even inspect a moped?

I'm in a different state, but here they checked vin # on bike, then had me start it so they could make sure the lights and horn worked.

In Ohio the moped is not a `motor vehicle' so that wouldn't apply. Is it called a motor vehicle in Mass? (edited)

I don’t think you have the right information. If you are registering a true moped there is no inspection needed. All you should need is a bill of sale and to fill out a form that you can print out online.

The information that you received seems like you are registering a newly purchased scooter (over 50cc) or a motorcycle. Sometimes the RMV/DMV employees don’t know what you are trying to register. You should get everything printed out and have it ready to go. Should be able to walk out with a plate the same day.

No I Have the plate it IS a moped plate but the registration they gave me says it needs an inspection.

And the registration is a moped certificate of registration, not a scooter

hey use this reg form here

this is the only one i've ever needed

sounds like u have or had the wrong form when ur fam member registered it (edited)

Here in Texas I have to get my 63 Moby inspected every year, which is a waste of my and the inspectors time. All they really want to know is if I have insurance, Last time the inspection was $.27 cents. Go figure.

John in Texas

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

I have registered literally hundreds of mopeds in Massachusetts. None of my registrations ever said anything about inspections, and I literally just opened another renewal five minutes ago. I am guessing they messed up and maybe printed it on a LUV form.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account