2 Stroke Oil

What is 2 stroke oil actually made of? I remember before synthetics, we used caster oil in our 2 stroke model airplane engines.

Re: 2 Stroke Oil

Uhhh, dead stuff? Who cares, just burn it! :) Synthetic is the best though...mmm nat gas... burrito derivative?

Kimberly Anne From The Internet /

I know a lot of people who run castor oil in 2 strokes and it's silly to me to use consistently and you can typically see it when they consistantly have engine problems. It gums up under high heat which leads to a lot of carbon build up, and in cold Temps it doesn't mix well or at all. I have friends that race and they say they only prefer castor because they engine rebuild before every race but as a daily rider they would never use castor. Idk much more than that beyond I only run Saber because it seems to be a long term better investment and recommended by 2 stroke mechanics. As for wtf is in it? Idk lol

If you want to know all of the gritty details, read ISO 13738.

There's also good old wikipedia

"The oil-base stock can be petroleum, castor oil, semi-synthetic or synthetic oil "

It's just a moped, any 2 stroke oil will do unless you are racing, just mix it up and GO. It doesn't matter. 2 stroke oil is so much better than when these engines were made, it's all fine. Castrol 2t is great, but Yamalube is my favorite, because it's easier to find...but have run lawn boy oil and been fin, it's not that serious, unless you have a race engine.

I use a secret blend of Heilmanns real mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid.

Rich Shippy /

Thanks,

I was just curious if it was some type of common oil used for other applications.

The base stock is going to be similar to any synthetic or semi synthetic about 5w motor oil. Pure synthetic is made from natural gas using hydro cracking, semi synthetic (most conventional oils nowadays) is hydrocracked from liquid crude. Additives are then added for the specific application. Even basic run of the mill 14$/gal Pennzoil from Walmart is very very good compared to what was available back in the 70s so unless you're highly tuned just buy the cheap stuff.

motul 800, amsoil saber,Pennzoil 2t, take your pick. Green bottle causes a lot of carbon build-up, stay away. (edited)

maxima castor 927 has been very good to me. run at 40ish:1, smells great and very light on smoke. CHTs in the high 3s to 400 on long uphills. haven't seized once since i switched to it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account