Next Up on the Bench

So I haven’t been doing much in the moped world since my dad died this past spring. Just haven’t been feeling it. But I picked this beaut up a couple months back, and it’s time to tear into it. I don’t know what I’m up against; Sachs is totally new territory. I’ll start with the basic carb clean, spark plug and clean & gap the points. What else do I need to know? Tips, tricks & advice welcome!

E1819C35-6652-48F2-B7CD-3B8A47B2E033.jpeg
240874A0-958E-4043-9D9D-E10757FCBDC9.jpeg
B10DA6C1-9F95-41C1-B6E1-D1057EA4E9C4.jpeg

I picked this one up for a song. $50 if I recall. Missing headlight, but housing is there. Looks like it takes a sealed beam. Also missing left side plastic, otherwise it’s complete. Supposedly runs, but hasn’t in a while. My plans are to replace tires, tubes and cables. Grease wheel bearings and head tube bearings. Service ignition and brakes. Go over wiring and repair/replace any damaged components. I’ll also polish up the paint and chrome. Once running well and looking good in stock configuration I’ll weigh my options, but I’m probably gonna flip this one. I’ve got some other moped irons in the fire needing money and attention.

Re: Next Up on the Bench

I've been lacking in motivation this year as well. I had a fellow member rebuild 8 Minarelli V1's 2 years ago. I put 5 bikes back together, but almost all of THOSE need a little tweaking. A cable here, a little electrical work there, a tire and tube on that one.

My buddy even built me a stand so I could work on the bikes and not be lying in the floor to do it. I put ONE bike up on the stand, did a little work 5 months ago, and I just got around to finishing the first bike.

The delay?

I needed to cut a 5 inch piece of metal and drill 3 holes into it to connect the stock exhaust to the bike. An hour of work, tops. My son just helped me lift it down earlier this afternoon.

I couldn't get my tools or parts organized this summer. I just couldn't do it. And then, to top it off, I bought a Honda Passport, a Moby, a green Motron, a yellow Motron trike, an AMF Minarelli, a Tomos A35, and 4 basket case peds this year. Plus, I have 2 mostly complete Hobbits, 2 parts Hobbits, an Express, and a Tomos A3 from last year. (edited)

> Seth B wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So I haven’t been doing much in the moped world since my dad died this

> past spring. Just haven’t been feeling it. But I picked this beaut up a

> couple months back, and it’s time to tear into it. I don’t know what I’m

> up against; Sachs is totally new territory. I’ll start with the basic

> carb clean, spark plug and clean & gap the points. What else do I need

> to know? Tips, tricks & advice welcome!

>

> I picked this one up for a song. $50 if I recall. Missing headlight, but

> housing is there. Looks like it takes a sealed beam. Also missing left

> side plastic, otherwise it’s complete. Supposedly runs, but hasn’t in a

> while. My plans are to replace tires, tubes and cables. Grease wheel

> bearings and head tube bearings. Service ignition and brakes. Go over

> wiring and repair/replace any damaged components. I’ll also polish up

> the paint and chrome. Once running well and looking good in stock

> configuration I’ll weigh my options, but I’m probably gonna flip this

> one. I’ve got some other moped irons in the fire needing money and

> attention.

Have heard the decomp can leak on these, and that many plug it with a bolt, might be something in the wiki about it? Sorry about your Dad.

Sorry about your dad, Seth. Glad to see you back on the horse.

I have high and low points in my motivation too, this last year has been tough for a lot of reasons. Working on mopeds always makes me feel better, having little deadlines and small goals to achieve that I can control helps me handle the stress of stuff in my life I can't control. When mopeds just aren't happening in my life I try not to feel guilty, I've gotten good over the years at just letting all my moped projects chill and not stressing about that.

One thing I've found that really helps is to get a dumb stock bike running and tuned up. I usually have at least 2 or 3 waiting in the wings that just need a carb clean, tires, brakes, cables. I figured out years ago that if I push all my other projects aside and just fix up a dumb stock bike, my motivation comes back and I feel so good about myself, then I just keep that rolling and try to push forward on some of the more complex and challenging projects.

I also love dumping a cheap stocker back 'into the wild' since I know someone can hop on and start riding it from day one, but will quickly ease their way into fixing it as basic stuff breaks. I usually like to buy bikes for under 200 and get them running, riding, and fix any issues, and send them out for 300-600$ it pretty much just pays for parts but it's way cheaper than a psychiatrist.

Oh to have passion.

Finding the mopeds this year really helped to heal a lot of things in me. I don't even want to think about losing my dad but tinkering with mopeds is a good way to heal a person brother.

Sorry to hear of your dad's passing. I have a Sachs with the 504 motor. I ordered new points and condenser without realizing there are two versions of points. I ended up with points that were too large and had to reorder. The bike would not fire with the original points and new condenser. The old points looked fine and I dressed the contacts with a file but still no spark. The new points arrived and I instantly had a hot blue spark. Excellent looking bike for the money. Keep or sell you're ahead of the curve.

Good luck.

It’s crazy how the bottom drops out on my motivation. It was waning before dad died, and I’ve used his passing as an excuse. But it’s me. Like Trent said, a small obstacle can sometimes seem like an insurmountable mountain. I’ve had a Free Spirit on the bench for the past 8 months just sitting there. I’m building a Polini E50 for it. The hold up? I need to measure and adjust my squish. Engine is completely assembled with all new premium innards. I sent the cases to Roffman for machining because my eyes are too bad to cut the transfers. I want it perfect, so it’s just been sitting. Engine in a drawer. Waiting. Squish can’t be difficult, but I haven’t done it yet. I have everything to finish the bike, minus a pipe, but almost every day I go out to the garage and get overwhelmed over nothing. So I turn off the light and walk away discouraged. Then I beat myself up for being a lazy turd and investing all this money into stupid mopeds that I can’t motivate myself to finish. But I keep buying more. Ugh.

The guilt struggle is real, Graham. Just letting them sit weighs on me sometimes. But I keep telling myself I have the rest of my life to finish them. There’s no deadlines or impatient customers, just moped therapy waiting for me. I guess by putting the Free Spirit on the sidelines and throwing the Columbia up there, I’m taking your advice. Getting back to basics should help. It’s a great feeling of satisfaction getting an old, derelict stocker humming again. It seems I’ve always got two or three of those waiting for me as well. I just keep finding them cheap. It really is good therapy, and I always feel better after a day in the shop. Getting started can be a mother, though.

Hey Seth ,

Good you're back . Life is a balance game . All things in moderation , even mopeds . ;)

punkrock randy /

That sucks to hear about your father’s passing. We all dig ourselves into more projects than we can keep up on, I feel like that’s just how it goes when you’re into old awesomeness. I’m always fighting guilt struggles, just push forward on things when you’re ready and like you said, there’s no deadlines and you have a lifetime to get back to work when you’re ready. Good to hear you’re getting motivated again 🤘🏼🍻

Working on mopeds and riding them on long trips has always been a great healing for my soul. I hope it is to you too,Seth.

Hey Seth I sent ya a pm about the polini head.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Posting on here helps me feel stoked too. Sometimes I'll put on moped Monday podcast since those guys always get me stoked.

This was the nastiest carburetor I’ve seen yet!

8FF44DB2-62C2-4C6E-B80D-F8DFED0F3A90.jpeg

I got it apart without damage. This baby is gonna have to soak awhile.

71B10AB6-608D-4CD2-AE7E-D9589E09359D.jpeg

Now I gotta figure out how to detach the clutch/ decomp cable from the engine.

Decomp disconnected. Leaving cable connected at transmission end. Ran a compression test, and it’s running 105-110 psi. I can live with that!

This looks much better

16A8261A-3E5D-43E6-8292-C36065D3DEA7.jpeg
9DBC5120-8F77-462C-9798-2F62F59DAD2E.jpeg

Ah Shit! All was going too well, until I hooked it up and put gas to it. Gas leaking from the bowl. So, I cut a new gasket and installed. Still leaking. Pulled the carb, and looked at the bottom of the bowl, and I saw a few dark spots. Poked with a pick, and they opened up into big holes all around. Corroded from the inside. Surprisingly, the tank and petcock were clean as a whistle, but the petcock needed a new rubber. I cut one of those, and put it back together with new fuel line. At least it doesn’t leak.

A5F4AD7B-091D-48D6-BA5F-48B26589A7AC.jpeg

Bummer too, because I was ready to fire it up! I cleaned the points and replaced the plug. Great spark! That’s two out of three- compression, spark, just.need.fuel. So if ya got a float bowl kicking around, hit my inbox. I already posted on B&S.

> Seth B wrote:

> This looks much better

>

> Ah Shit! All was going too well, until I hooked it up and put gas to it.

> Gas leaking from the bowl. So, I cut a new gasket and installed. Still

> leaking. Pulled the carb, and looked at the bottom of the bowl, and I

> saw a few dark spots. Poked with a pick, and they opened up into big

> holes all around. Corroded from the inside. Surprisingly, the tank and

> petcock were clean as a whistle, but the petcock needed a new rubber. I

> cut one of those, and put it back together with new fuel line. At least

> it doesn’t leak.

>

> Bummer too, because I was ready to fire it up! I cleaned the points and

> replaced the plug. Great spark! That’s two out of three- compression,

> spark, just.need.fuel. So if ya got a float bowl kicking around, hit my

> inbox. I already posted on B&S.

Spray that bowl and the holes out with brake cleaner .

Use flux and solder the holes . ;)

Ugh square bings. Throw that junk away.

> P D wrote:

> > Seth B wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > This looks much better

>

> >

>

> > Ah Shit! All was going too well, until I hooked it up and put gas to

> it.

>

> > Gas leaking from the bowl. So, I cut a new gasket and installed. Still

>

> > leaking. Pulled the carb, and looked at the bottom of the bowl, and I

>

> > saw a few dark spots. Poked with a pick, and they opened up into big

>

> > holes all around. Corroded from the inside. Surprisingly, the tank and

>

> > petcock were clean as a whistle, but the petcock needed a new rubber.

> I

>

> > cut one of those, and put it back together with new fuel line. At

> least

>

> > it doesn’t leak.

>

> >

>

> > Bummer too, because I was ready to fire it up! I cleaned the points

> and

>

> > replaced the plug. Great spark! That’s two out of three- compression,

>

> > spark, just.need.fuel. So if ya got a float bowl kicking around, hit

> my

>

> > inbox. I already posted on B&S.

>

> Spray that bowl and the holes out with brake cleaner .

>

> Use flux and solder the holes . ;)

Yeah, that was my first go-to idea. Cleaned, fluxed, but Acid core silver solder wouldn’t stick, and the heat warped the bowl. 🔥🤷‍♂️ Oh well, it was worth a shot.

> Graham Motzing wrote:

> Ugh square bings. Throw that junk away.

Haha. Why? Looks like it’s all that will fit in the space.

> Seth B wrote:

> Yeah, that was my first go-to idea. Cleaned, fluxed, but Acid core

> silver solder wouldn’t stick, and the heat warped the bowl. 🔥🤷‍♂️ Oh

> well, it was worth a shot.

I use a paste and silver solder . Seems to work fine with a soldering gun .

Torch might be too much heat . ;)

It's a tight fit but you can run the Sha on the stock manifold if you use a set screw and lock nut in place of the idle screw.

Or you can waller out the holes and Jimmy the manifold over, or just make a new intake with a handlebar. This isn't the prettiest because I wanted to show how to make an intake by brazing it with a mapp torch, but it works great.

IMG_20200503_093614.jpg

(edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account