Re: Just joined Forum. Have QT50

Kelikaku קוטין /

> Peter v. wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ... As long as your 4 hole gasket is good, ...

You could probably fabricate a four-hole gasket out of a piece of an old inner tube, a gasket punch, and some elbow grease?

It's a lot thicker then any inner tube I've messed with. Don't know about truck or tractor.

I've seen 4 hole ones in kits for other bikes but don't know about a direct fit.

So Jack, back to the ignition timing. There is an offset woodruff key availabe for the PW50 that advances timing 3.6 degrees.

I can't find anything on how well it works.

Seem too much?

The LB50 4 hole gasket fits, one hole is smaller than the other 3 but it fits and it works, no leaks.

Do those american sized gaskets shown earlier in the convo actually fit the nut and the fuel cup?

> Mark B****** wrote:

> The LB50 4 hole gasket fits, one hole is smaller than the other 3 but it

> fits and it works, no leaks.

>

> Do those american sized gaskets shown earlier in the convo actually fit

> the nut and the fuel cup?

Fits the nut and fuel tap. Not a drip. At this time my 1981 fuel cup and 4 hole works too.

Haven't seen you around in quite awhile. I followed part of your build in mine.

It’s been hard to find the time after getting married and two kids to scroll around the forums. It’s a better use of time than other social media though!

That’s cool that you followed some of my old builds. I’ve still been tinkering over the years and have some too fast for their brakes 80’s Yamahas. Been playing with the variety of MLM pipes and finally got around to a malossi top end last year for my Towny.

I saw you’re looking at the advanced timing key. I tried them and you get some power but the first ride I was glad I was on a Yamaha cylinder. They are just so durable! I stuck 3 times on the way home within 2 miles but I popped in a jet 3 sized bigger and it ran great. Kept up with a malossi all season.

Have you done the boyesen reeds yet?

I try to keep my head temp in the 400+/- 50 range. I’ve had it over 525 where that tach started to max out but the top end held on. Point is, I read this thread, jetting takes time and if you’re not going to play with jets all the time pick something that fits most days and rock it. Have fun!

69A000D6-3C0B-4C0E-B8EE-51546499AC5E.jpeg

I'm still on stock reeds. Not sure if I want to try the key, don't want to melt my Malossi. I'm pulling 45 mph, I think I'll hold there.

Plus like everything else more top end, less low end.

Jeez, why is that 4 hole gasket on Ebay and Amazon but the QT50 is not? I think there are WAY more QTs then Chappys and Townys around.

I wish I knew why it wasn’t listed for the QT50, LC50, and MJ50. I’ve rebuilt the LC50 petcock with that goofy diaphragm and replaced it in some QT petcocks, I was just trying to figure out the rubber washer size in nut and under the plastic cup.

Partzilla has them for reasonable.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/266-24523-00-00?ref=e51efa3b8204c4eb4b48a0c943ab7fdfb5bc9943

If you’re looking for more to fill your cart I like the new PW50 brake shoes on my QT’s over the EBC or Vesrah shoes. Can’t tell much difference in the fancy brake shoes from Treatland vs PW50.

I have the EBC shoes, best I've tried. my drums are turning dark brown.

For the petcock I just took it in with me and started fitting in the store.

Let me know your current setup, it's been many years.

Over the years I’ve built a little collection. I have 5 QT’s, a Towny and a LC50 Champ.

My towny is quickest of all right now with a peoples pipe, malossi, pw80 carb and yt60 oil pump, boyesen reeds, malossi head.

My quickest QT has the advanced flywheel key, circuit pipe, YT60 top end, pw80 carb and yt60 oil pump, milled head, reeds, pw gears. Put a razz lighting coil in it for 12V lighting.

Champ is built like the towny but it doesn’t go as quick with the heavy wheels and tires. (edited)

Mark B****, you mention using a YT60 oil pump, is there an advantage to that?

I have always put the YT60 oil pump in under the assumption it’s tuned differently. The service manual shows differing amounts of oil pumped between the pumps and they have a distinguishing visual in the pulley in that the YT60 is stamped 36R and the QT/LC/MJ/PW are stamped 3L5.

I run the oil injection so I can ride around and just fill up at gas stations and top off my oil tank. No guessing mixture at the pump

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I’ll add that up until that last two summers I hadn’t seen one fail. The last two summers I have had 2-3 leak excessively when off but still function for riding. I ended up replacing them but these oil injectors are pretty dang solid.

That's great. I only have the one QT.

I do like the PW80 carb and I can adjust the idle and pilot screw while installed. My pump is gone, I run 50:1 in the tank.

I still love the video of the 3 of you drafting down the hyway.

Mark, when you went to the advanced key did you notice any loss in bottom end power? I can't afford to lose any.

What was the increase?

Do you need higher octane? I'm already using 90 with zero ethanol.

Jack Rutherford /

The timing key can be inserted both ways. So you can advance or retard timing. It’s expensive for what it is but worth it. I used it to advance timing and felt that my qt was more responsive in general across all ranges. I think the pipe even hit a little harder. Surprisingly, my qt didn’t seem to run any hotter. I forgot if I changed jetting. You may or may not have to.

I don’t think you need higher octane either.

Now if I can advance timing easily, I do it. I notched the stator holes on a couple urbans and an express sr to move the stator and advance timing.

I’ve even looked at the qt stator to see if it could be easily notched and rotated. I’ll have to look at it again.

It would be interesting to measure how much that key actually moves the timing. I would think it would have to be more offset to move it 3.6 degrees but I’m just eyeballing it. Anyhow, you could probably get away with another degree more.

My current qt has the hpi system and I sold the others with the offset keys. That key should work in the chappy, champ and towny as well. Actually it would really help the chappy. (edited)

Jack Rutherford /

Peter, the best acceleration I’ve stumbled upon for the qt was the hpi system with the hpi cdi with the aggressive curve in the lower rpms and the pipe made by the cranky dude in Texas for the pw50. I forget the name of the pipe but I got in touch with him and he made it clear that it’ll be ready when he’s done and don’t hassle him. So I sent him the money and never bothered him and a few weeks later got the pipe.

I got the hpi system at about the same time.

Anyhow, I laced up a 16” rear for the qt and that wouldn’t even slow it down. I ought to try it with a 14” rear.

Sounds promising.

Is that the Jemco pipe your talking about?

$22.49 For a key. Don't know if shipping is added also.

> Peter v. wrote:

> Is that the Jemco pipe your talking about?

>

> $22.49 For a key. Don't know if shipping is added also.

A man can buy a lot of bigger keys and a decent file for $22.49 .

If he had any imagination , he'd be able to make keys for differing degrees ... ;)

Jack Rutherford /

Yes Jemco, that's right

Jack Rutherford /

> P D wrote:

> > Peter v. wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Is that the Jemco pipe your talking about?

>

> >

>

> > $22.49 For a key. Don't know if shipping is added also.

>

> A man can buy a lot of bigger keys and a decent file for $22.49 .

>

> If he had any imagination , he'd be able to make keys for differing

> degrees ... ;)

Or just run it without a key.

> Jack Rutherford wrote:

>

> Or just run it without a key.

It seems that some have no faith in their ability to make lapping compound work the charm or maybe they are just being lazy . ;)

Jeez I'm sick of this economy! Key is now $29.99 with $9.99 shipping!

If I pursue this, I may make my own. Doesn't seem to be a big power gain from what has been said.

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Thomas Tusser .

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account