Re: Tecumseh Motor Swap?

This is the type of stuff that keeps me coming back!

Any plans to add a mower deck to this? Haha

Ted Grant /

Not a mower deck but a front mounted snow blower chute to pay homage to it's roots...LOL.

Ted Grant /

It's alive! The Frankenbike has about ten minutes of run time and smoked me out of the shop. I started the bike in a warm shop but it only took about two minutes to smoke me out of the double garage. It idles well and has snappy throttle response. The intake is constructed using 3/4 inch reclaimed oak baseboard, three inches of PVC conduit, a 45 degree elbow and a elbow from a old rad hose. I still have to make some brackets to support the carb and take any weight off the intake manifold. Couldn't find a throttle cable so I filed down the end of a bicycle shifter cable and it worked fine. I was watching all the pretty smoke patterns in the window light until common sense kicked in and I evacuated the shop. It runs quiet with the stock muffler but I plan to cap it off and use a one inch steel conduit elbow for a header then some type of expansion chamber. Any ideas or recommendations for exhaust are welcome...

TED_9879.jpg
TED_9877.jpg

That's a first for me. Wood and pvc intake, haha. Don't know anyone with a welder to make you one? If I recall years ago someone used one of those snowblower engines and it didn't like to rev. The motors were never designed for high rpm so I would be weary of putting a pipe on that and revving it to the moon. Mabye just try it with the stock exhaust. It's already 5hp and if you tune that carb well it will be an upgrade for sure. I think this is the reason I didn't use my engine and shelfed it.

Ted Grant /

Also a first for me and I don't know anyone with a mig welder. Plenty of shops around at 100 bucks per hour and this one cost me $1.42 for the PVC elbow. If it goes up in flames I'm only out about three hours of my time. I'll run with the stock muffler for now and the roads should clear up around mid April. The waiting is the hardest part...

Hey Ted! Where abouts are ya from in Canada? I’m south east of London Ontario. I’ve got two people that’d love to weld mig if your looking for one out of metal. I’m also the guy planning the homelite xl mini chainsaw engine swap in the forums.

Dig seeing something out of the norm every once in a while. So, does it rip?

Ted Grant /

@ Ian...I'm in Winnipeg Manitoba. Stand on a beer can and see the north pole...

@ Brandon...I'm confident it will rip pretty good but the roads here are iced up and pretty dangerous even with a bicycle. If I can find a really clean parking lot I'll take it for a rip before the stores open...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account