NEW Magneto Project

Brad c cool /

Hey, another project today...hehe....I tryed hooking up a small CD player to my Moped today, I used a car adapter and just used the transformer that came with it......it worked for a min or so......then I blew the fuse.....the moped actually generates alot more power than a car battery....I will have to get a larger transformer....I am thinkin maybe a 17 or 18volt input....and I need a 4.5v output.....I hope I can find somthing like this......anyone have any Ideas?

Re: NEW Magneto Project

Matt Wilson /

Brad,

A good place to start would be to take a multimeter and see what kind of voltage you are getting as an output from the magneto.

Also see if anyone knows how much wattage your magneto generates. If you keep adding components things like your head and tail lights will dim.

Also is the tomos a 12v system or 6volt?

And one other thing that I have found very helpful when wiring is the twist connecters. You stick 2 wires into this plastic nut, then twist the nut, and then your wires are securely connected.

Good luck!

Matt

Ron Brown /

Brad c cool wrote:

>

> Hey, another project today...hehe....I tryed hooking up a

> small CD player to my Moped today, I used a car adapter and

> just used the transformer that came with it......it worked

> for a min or so......then I blew the fuse.....the moped

> actually generates alot more power than a car battery....I

> will have to get a larger transformer....I am thinkin maybe a

> 17 or 18volt input....and I need a 4.5v output.....I hope I

> can find somthing like this......anyone have any Ideas?

Brad,

Cars are DC, peds without a battery are AC. Car voltage adaptors are not transformers, transformers only work on AC.

There is most likely a diode in your voltage adaptor that caused it to work a bit, but it is not designed for AC. Chances are good that the fuse is not the only thing that blew.

BTW, car alternators are around 100 amp, peds are 5 amp or so.

Ron

do a search on the forum for "moped radio," also look into gel cell, you can get a long life and good power out of one of these things, and not have to worry about dicking your bike or appliances up. They run around $30

Brad c cool /

I have read many places that a moped is a DC AC mix....and there must be a transformer in the adapter cuzz...it has as input of 12v dc and ouput of 4.5v DC....I am not an electronics expert....but the only thing I know of that can down the voltage is a transformer.....also the extra light I have in my toolbox is 12v DC....it works fine......my buddies neon on his tomos is 12v DC with a transformer..actually says transformer on it and it works.....

Ron Brown /

Brad c cool wrote:

>

> I have read many places that a moped is a DC AC mix....and

> there must be a transformer in the adapter cuzz...it has as

> input of 12v dc and ouput of 4.5v DC....I am not an

> electronics expert....but the only thing I know of that can

> down the voltage is a transformer

Brad, try a resistor and/or a zener diode.

.....also the extra light I

> have in my toolbox is 12v DC....it works fine

Lights don't care, ac or dc is fine.

......my buddies

> neon on his tomos is 12v DC with a transformer..actually

> says transformer on it and it works.....

Beats the sh*t out of me, but I guarantee that a simple transformer will do nothing but burn out on dc.

Ron

instead of hooking the cd player to your magneto, hook it up to a rechargeable 12v. battery, so the lights on your moped wont dim. I think to the 12v. battery, you can still add more thing to it.

-Viet

Good Idea Though.

Brad c cool /

well I would love to add a rechargable battery But I dont want to have to plug it in everynight...I wanna hook it to the magneto so it can charge....but I dont know if its possible or economical!

i was told that a gel cell battery will last a while, and have enought power to run 12v... atleast check into it

Hi Brad:

The 12V DC neon light probably has an oscillator built into it that converts 12V DC into AC which drives the ballast (transformer). As Ron has said, transformers do not work on DC current (they would behave as inductors on DC). Transformers are not the only way of bringing down voltage, but they are probably the easiest way of bringing voltage <i>up</i> --neon lights require <a href=" http://www.empressneon.com/Facts_About_Neon.html">several thousand volts</a> to light up.

You might find <a href=" http://www.howstuffworks.com/inside-transformer1.htm">this article</a> interesting.

It shouldn't be too hard to build a regulated 5-6V DC power supply. You'd need a couple capacitors and either a bridge rectifier, or a resistor-zener diode combination.

Chris.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account