Honda MB5 Gas Tank Questions

Apologies if this is the wrong forum thread to send this too. New to the website and the scene somewhat as a whole.

Nonetheless, I'm looking at a Honda MB5 and the bike overall appears quite solid (and/or issues I don't mind tackling) except for the gas tank. I'm aware this is a relatively common issue for the MB5.

I was even pointed here to ask this question, what would a NOS tank roughly run and where could one be sourced?

Re: Honda MB5 Gas Tank Questions

I got one off eBay years back for a few hundo. Depends on how bad yours is maybe you can find someone local to help fix it up. You could try doing a “WTB” thread in buy sell. But yeah keep eyes peeled there and the second hand sites.

Dirty30 Dillon /

With the tanks being so awfully designed, finding NOS is not likely. I have seen used tanks recently sell for $150-200 in good condition.

My MB5 had pinholes and it was worth it to repair vs. replace.

Beach Club Nick /

> Sean Volpe wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I was even pointed here to ask this question, what would a NOS tank

> roughly run and where could one be sourced?

If you could find a NOS tank, it would likely cost more than you paid for the bike. Just coat the tank with Caswell or POR-15

EH 📣FCC of the QCB /

I fixed mine with jbweld and steal wool then redkoted the inside. Sanded and hit it with some paint. Worked just fine.

I used some Seal-all oil resistant adhesive on the pin holes, and then redkoted the inside. Way cheaper than finding a new tank.

Only use casswell tank sealer, that stuff is liquid gold. I also used it on my mb5 tank with amazing results. Just read the directions and watch a few YouTube videos and you will be all set!

todd amundson /
4FE758A5-BA7F-483E-BAAA-4186387B08C2.jpeg

I’m in the process of fixing this. I’ll try to post progress. Definitely the worst case scenario.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account