Title

Alex Armstrong /

I have a tomos targa lx, clean vin just never registered before, I have a couple of questions, I’m in Florida and I know it says that you don’t need a title to register it but what do I need to have? And as a moped I am limited to a certain speed and roads, if I wanted to go thru a company like dirt legal etc could I title it as a motorcycle since I already have my endorsement, and the engine will be built for it

Re: Title

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

Google is a wonderful thing.

From what I have read FL does not title mopeds. More times than not a simple bill of sale should do the trick. Double check with the DMV. If not, you can always play the Vermont game. Details on that in the wiki

FL is in the middle of the pack of states as far as PITA legal stuff. Before I share more, know that the jig is up in lots of places in FL about the VT loophole. Just sayin'

True that FL has no titles, but it must have a license plate, very similar to a trailer. Yes, you do need a bill of sale, but that's not enough--you have to prove you're buying it from the actual owner--zero paperwork besides a bill of sale may not work. Pray the bike is not in the system. Also take proof that it's actually a moped using the official FL DMV tax and fees sheet--shows the facts--no title needed. Good luck and stay away from DMV branches where other mopes go, especially certain "collector" types. Oh, and take the bike so the resident cop can verify the VIN

> Gen Xer wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> FL is in the middle of the pack of states as far as PITA legal stuff.

> Before I share more, know that the jig is up in lots of places in FL

> about the VT loophole. Just sayin'

>

> True that FL has no titles, but it must have a license plate, very

> similar to a trailer. Yes, you do need a bill of sale, but that's not

> enough--you have to prove you're buying it from the actual owner--zero

> paperwork besides a bill of sale may not work. Pray the bike is not in

> the system. Also take proof that it's actually a moped using the

> official FL DMV tax and fees sheet--shows the facts--no title needed.

> Good luck and stay away from DMV branches where other mopes go,

> especially certain "collector" types. Oh, and take the bike so the

> resident cop can verify the VIN

So much for reciprocity .

I guess you'd simply have to run Vermont plates and hold it's registration .

Another strike for Florida . (edited)

According to the Moped Laws (South) page on Moped Wiki Flordia does not require a title for mopeds. If you learn that anything on that page is incorrect or out of date please hit the "Edit" link and correct it!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account