Re: Parmakit cdi box not retarding

> Wolf Wizard wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So electrical is defiantly my weak point, I’m trying to exchange it via

> treats atm, however knowing now that my timing light may not be the best

> for this I may try another light too,

>

> If I can’t get it still I’ll try reading a little deeper into it

on my tomos stuff i use the keyway, on puch stuff i ditch the keyway & time it like a french bike.

electrical stuff can be tough, but basically what i’ve understood is that the cdi charges up & then fires at the “low point” of the alternating wave, basically where the wave gets closest to zero.

this coincided with the + - + - pattern of all the flywheels that i’ve used to test this with. i’ve got a parmakit cdi box to fire off of a treats cdi with a stock bosch points flywheel

the double sparking is just like what you would imagine, which is one spark spark near TDC & one 180 degrees away from that near BDC.

Well I'll be dipped in puddin' you're right, I guess I stuck it in my brain puch had 2 magnets and never checked for myself. Definitely 4 magnets.

Next time I have my timing light out, I'll see if my parmakit box is sparking 2x maybe it is and I just never noticed it.

If your timing light can only handle 7000 rpm that's gonna be a problem with it sparking 2x too, unless they are rated for 7000 rpm on a V8 which is 4x per rev

that one is rated to 14k, but cut in half cuz of the 2x spark you only get 7k. without finding a 20k timing light, we all might get a little inaccurate.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

The trigger point basically happens halfway between each magnet pair (the magnet itself is basically the highest or lowest point on the AC sine wave)

This is such good info, thanks dudes!!! Yeah it makes sense now why the tach seemed to go ballistic, it thinks every fire is a revolution, so instead of 1p1r it should be 1p.5r but I don’t think that’s an actual setting haha

New box is on the way from treats I’m sending this one back and they are ganna test it too.

Wild to think it’s working at bottom dead when gas is being forced through the transfers and not detonating (edited)

> Wolf Wizard wrote:

> This is such good info, thanks dudes!!! Yeah it makes sense now why the

> tach seemed to go ballistic, it thinks every fire is a revolution, so

> instead of 1p1r it should be 1p.5r but I don’t think that’s an actual

> setting haha

>

> New box is on the way from treats I’m sending this one back and they are

> ganna test it too.

>

>

>

> Wild to think it’s working at bottom dead when gas is being forced

> through the transfers and not detonating

the real setting is 2p1r but thats really the same thing.

Totally normal JBOT /

I think you’re reading the timing backwards.

Yes it’s possible to do. I’ve done it when I wasn’t thinking about how to read it correctly.

I think it’s actually retarding and you’re just reading it wrong.

Wanna know how to test this?

Set it up at 18deg-20deg at idle then ride it. If you hear detonation then yes it’s advancing.

campeona del mundo /

did you try installing the flywheel 180deg from where you initially had it? i think that's what i had to do on my revo TAT bike. that was like 8 years ago tho but i remember pulling the woodruff key and timing without it.

I've been thinking about building a little electronics setup to test boxes like this; IE to figure out what the curves really are precisely. Would folks be interested in this sort of thing? I'm thinking we could eventually have a bunch of graphs in the wiki, and I'd like to more fully understand and explain exactly how CDI boxes work.

I’m all about innovation and learning on these things!

Also wait what???? You had to basicallly ditch the key and run it 180???? I got my new box today playing with it tonight if the new one is the same then I know I’m fucking something up I’ll try doing that off key as well.

campeona del mundo /

yes. memory is a little hazy because it was so long ago but i'm pretty sure i had to ditch my key and time by hand. it was a start V with the OEM revo cdi we used to carry at treats and the parma box.

Well. New box is doing the same, I’m doing something wrong.

Am I seriously reading it wrong?

Using my timing light I have two parks on my flywheel. Tdc and 1.8 before.

The rotation is clockwise when. I rev the bike the markings move counter clockwise when you do this with the stator plate (move it against flywheel rotation) this is advancing the timing I’m going to try and run the flywheel 180 from the key and report back in a few hours

New box, no key. 180 degrees from the original key position. Still looks like it’s advancing.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

This is my exact ignition. Could it be the light since it’s not meant to be reading 2 fires per revolution? Light magic trickery???

Totally normal JBOT /

I think you’re reading the direction wrong honestly. I did it before too. You have to flip your brain around for reading timing. You might have marked atdc or btdc

So. My ignition is clockwise.

From what I can find, start v has a counterclockwise and so is a tomos a35 which people claim to love this box for. Is that my issue? Does crank direction matter? It seems like it totally would and this would be the cause of my woes for sure since if my rotation would be backwards. It would be reading as retarding and not advancing

Try flipping your ignition coil as suggested earlier.

> LSLB RXb wrote:

> have you tried physically flipping the coil?

>

> just to be sure, this setup spins clockwise right?

>

> we know these work on Tomos setups that spin counter clockwise, maybe

> there's something in that?

I totally glazed over this trying other things it’s what I just tried to suggest myself haha. Do you mean take the coils off the stator and switch them??? I did try running the magneto 180 to no avail

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account