Parmakit cdi box not retarding

482FEB9E-83D8-494E-8E9F-9E1560A5748F.jpeg

Derbi variant world champion, motoplat 12v cdi

She advancing the timing. Black wire that went into the coil now going to the big terminal, yellow green that was grounded to the coil to small terminal (key switch wire to ground) from what I read this is how to do it, bike for sure runs but not well. And popped a timing light on it and checked my two marks, tdc and 1.8 before tdc (1.8 is about where I want the final to be after the curve) my plate is fully advanced and when I start the bike and it’s idling the timing light shows my case mark between the two, something like 1mm before top dead and as I rev it moved towards the 1.8mm mark. It also seems to move immediately and from when I saw in older forum posts it’s not supposed to start retarding until like 4K and stop at 8k

Did I get a faulty box? The only numbers on the part are ink stamped and seem like a manufacture date code or something, 66 25/21. They do not match the ones on the treats photo of the box but like I said I don’t think that’s like a part number or anything but maybe it is can anyone confirm? (edited)

Re: Parmakit cdi box not retarding

is there any way to see a video of the timing light & the lack of curve??

I took a video but the lights don’t really sync up with the frame rate, also don’t know how to get the video on here from my camera roll

Richard Eberline /

That one is on my Tomos. The Tomos version does not have a curve. Also posted 5that info on treats.

> Wolf Wizard wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I took a video but the lights don’t really sync up with the frame rate,

> also don’t know how to get the video on here from my camera roll

Maybe post it to YouTube and then link it here .

Dirty30 Dillon /

I'm pretty sure you just swap the hot and ground, I could have swore I saw this issue resolved in a thread at one point.

> Dirty30 Dillon wrote:

> I'm pretty sure you just swap the hot and ground, I could have swore I

> saw this issue resolved in a thread at one point.

I’m thinking the same thing but I can’t find it.

So slap the black wire on small terminal? Heck I’ll give it a try tomorrow

Okay. Switched the terminals, plate was almost full advance. it just back fires a lot. Retarded the plate and still no start only back fires. Put the terminals back, and fired right up.

I am using the case web marked with a black sharpie for my dots on my flywheel.

Red= TDC

Green= 1.8mm before TDC

Parmakit box idle

1ACAC695-50BD-4096-9E1F-C4EE70ED6D44.jpeg

Parma box with idle screw all the way in to show curve

01448020-B429-42FF-AB2B-58D7576CB74B.jpeg

I did put the stock coil back on, it has no curve and at the same stator position fires just before the 1.8 line. (edited)

campeona del mundo /

weird. i have ran the parmakit box on two of the same late model flatreed motoplat 2 coil cdis like you have with great success.

todd amundson /

Show off

Yellow green wire to the small terminal, double black guy to large? I may have gotten a bad one (edited)

Those boxes in my opinion are trash, I e had multiple out of the box be bad, multiple blown out after a short period of time being on the bike. I've never noticed a performance difference with them. If you're looking for performance spend your money and efforts elsewhere. Stock ignition set ups work great. Get that 74cc kit and just rip

Mostly wanted the curve for temps, 50/50 bike but I’m spiking much higher then I’d like on the regular.

campeona del mundo /

i guess it's possible that you got a bad one.

i've ran like 10 of these over the years. my TAT bike has one with over 4,500mi on it and my clacker stock tomos has one with just over 2k. I had one for a at least 3k on my SLEX too.

> campeona del mundo wrote:

> i guess it's possible that you got a bad one.

>

> i've ran like 10 of these over the years. my TAT bike has one with over

> 4,500mi on it and my clacker stock tomos has one with just over 2k. I

> had one for a at least 3k on my SLEX too.

this matches my experience too. I've run 3 on late model flat reeds and currently running 1 on an e50 with ducati CDI.

All of them ran/run great and all retard by ~6°

so alright, the parmakits start low, the way you are seeing it at idle. then at boosted RPMs before the curve hits, they advance, and then the retard back to about where it starts at idle, maybe a little bit more advanced then where it idles.

so to say, idle will be around 8 degrees BTDC for easy starting and idle, 2000 - 6000 rpms will be maybe 20 degrees BTDC, 6000 - 10000 rpms will be 12 degrees.

i've always had good luck with these even running them on stuff you aren't supposed to. maybe you got a bad one, but several people here who have used several of them vouch for them.

Also we've seen them make bikes run backwards when the spade connectors get flipped. don't do that....

The one that I'm running on my tomos that fully has a curve is numbered 82 48/19 which i read as part of the 82 batch of the year, produced on the 48th week of the 19th year of 2000. that would mean yours is batch 66 produced on the 25th week of the 21st year 2000. might be useful for tracking down a problem, but my guess is that you just aren't revving high enough to see the curve retard once it starts to move back.

also, a lot of timing lights are only rated to like 10k or 12k, which on these CDIs that fire twice every 360º of rotation equates to only accurate readings up to 5k - 6k which really just isn't enough.

Yeah holding it wide open it only advances it never moves back down or anything,

I actually got a special 2 stroke self powered timing light that claims to be accurate to like 14k rpm

5C7FCA1A-4E23-4188-8597-333AF5633DA4.jpeg

hey I've got that same timing light. It's only good til 7k on CDIs where they fire twice. really nice for things that only fire once per rotation, like the Hall sensor a55 ignitions or Honda Dio stuff!

that being said...who knows why it isn't working? Maybe buy another one and try it out...see if it works.

from what I can tell parmakit doesn't make more than one of these CDI box/HT coil combos, so unless they started making them all without a curve, then maybe it's input voltage from the stator you are using?

from what I can tell these are made for use with their ET3 stator that looks A LOT like the late model tomos 4 pole CDIs

idk...this is interesting tho

have you tried physically flipping the coil?

just to be sure, this setup spins clockwise right?

we know these work on Tomos setups that spin counter clockwise, maybe there's something in that?

> Conan Segar wrote:

> Those boxes in my opinion are trash

Literally the only person I've ever heard had one go bad. They have been great for me, run them on a few bikes, they are my go-to now.

Coil polarity does matter, the direction the wire is wrapped around the coil, by the right hand rule, combined with the flux, will make a directional pulse. For self triggered systems that does matter but usually they fire way off if they are wrong.

So electrical is defiantly my weak point, I’m trying to exchange it via treats atm, however knowing now that my timing light may not be the best for this I may try another light too,

If I can’t get it still I’ll try reading a little deeper into it

To all who had this running great, are you using a flywheel key? Did you have to dremmel the stator or did you just run it no key like an hpi?

So being not so great with electrical what do you mean by they fire twice per rotation? Does a second signal get sent because of the curve? Like one is static and the other is changing? Does it actually cause two sparks per rotation? Or is one nullified somehow?

Also is it possible that because this light Is apparently only good up to 7K that it actually is retarding, I just can’t tell because the light isn’t picking it up correctly? I think I’m gonna try to rent a different timing light from the auto store tomorrow and double check everything (edited)

I just put one on my start5 and it works flawlessly.

> Wolf Wizard wrote:

> So being not so great with electrical what do you mean by they fire

> twice per rotation? Does a second signal get sent because of the curve?

> Like one is static and the other is changing? Does it actually cause two

> sparks per rotation? Or is one nullified somehow?

unlike hall sensor cdis its signal to fire is the changing polarity, so it fires once at x° btdc and once and x° bbdc.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I have this box mounted on a Motoplat CDI FR as well, normal orientation and it works flawlessly.

I have not heard of people seeing these fail en masse.

Daaamn, I love a parma box. I have my complaints though. Well only one really, it's expensive haha. but if i'm ever gonna do something nice and proper i use a parma box, cuz they're so universally excellent. I've never heard anyone say otherwise til today.

Anyhow, I did wind up going keyless last time I had one, but that was on a AV10 setup. I put one on my flandria cobra/ktm 50 thing and it was just like plug and go, kept the right timing, added bonus retard. they started so easy too

I dunno, can't help with your trouble much tho

It would fire twice per rotation of you have a 4 magnet flywheel but most moped flywheels are 2 magnet.

> Graham Motzing wrote:

> It would fire twice per rotation of you have a 4 magnet flywheel but

> most moped flywheels are 2 magnet.

idk, a lot of the moped flywheels i’ve seen are 4 magnet. stock bosch for puch is, treats cdi is that way, all the tomos stuff is too. hpi is also 4 magnet. maybe all the cev stuff is 2 magnet, i never really fucked with that stuff much

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account