Parallel worlds: the original moped scene & current ebike scene

Larry Picarello /

I consider myself lucky to have experienced the original moped craze first hand, and now the current ebike situation.

Consider:

1, both largely unregulated for now (until the bodies start to pile up), there could be a big crackdown coming.

2. there will be a huge "shake out" as many manufacturers/importers will fold

3. many are being sold by shops that have no idea how to fix them

4. Cops simply don't know what to do with the ebikes (like mopeds in the beginning), some choose to ignore them from what I see.

on & on.....

Re: Parallel worlds: the original moped scene & current ebike scene

I 100% agree, posted similar thoughts in a different thread, I bet e-bikes go unregulated longer though, much less obtrusive? I was really young during the og moped boom, but our state still had a special license for them if you were 15, and required a plate, but no insurance. Not much has changed with the exception of insurance is now mandatory, as far as I know e-bikes are still very much free-use in MN. I would have one if not so damn expensive.

A middle-aged couple rode their battery operated bikes up to me the other day. Big, fat tires. They told me they love them. They claimed they get about 50 miles per

charge, however, it fluctuates since when you pedal the bikes the bike doesn't use batteries. They go just about as fast as a moped. They are big, quiet, no smoke, no hassle with carb. The bikes the couple were riding were purchased for $2k each. A bit pricey, but they said it was well worth it and it got them off of their coach! I am considering get a couple. I like them!

I read this as "Pharell worlds".

Larry Picarello /
101_2452.JPG

I'm dug in pretty deep. People in NYC dump them, not being able do do the most basic repairs (like a flat) & underestimated how heavy they are to carry upstairs. These same people have paid $200 to have a bicycle shop unbox & put the front wheel on!

> Larry Picarello wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> >

> I'm dug in pretty deep. People in NYC dump them, not being able do do

> the most basic repairs (like a flat) & underestimated how heavy they are

> to carry upstairs. These same people have paid $200 to have a bicycle

> shop unbox & put the front wheel on!

Nice collection you have there, I got the RadRunner Plus in July to haul my kid to preschool, he loves going on rides. Are all those stock? I wish the wiring harness wasn't so big and bulky. I picked up a shock absorber seatpost and seat with big springs for about $40 on Amazon, so much nicer.

> Larry Picarello wrote:

> >

> I'm dug in pretty deep. People in NYC dump them, not being able do do

> the most basic repairs (like a flat) & underestimated how heavy they are

> to carry upstairs. These same people have paid $200 to have a bicycle

> shop unbox & put the front wheel on!

I'm kind of waiting for that to happen around here, but so far not seen many for what I consider affordable, when you say they "dump" them, what kind of prices are you paying? Safety of the machine is another worry, with no title or plates if it gets stolen you don't have much recourse, I'm getting rid of mopeds as they are too heavy/cumbersome to haul upstairs, what does a bike like that weigh? It still looks easier to cary than a moped. Nobody has tried to steal my mopeds, I think mainly because no one around here knows what they are or how to start them, but bicycles go missing all the time if you don't bring them in your apt. Can they be modified to go a bit faster? 20 seems so slow, though I have been seeing some advertising 28....I'd like about 40 to feel really comfortable, but with no engine you can ride on bike trails, a huge no-no on a moped, and we have a very extensive and well maintained trail system, so maybe the xtra speed would not be so necessary as you would not always be on the street.

Probably Fred /

Ya Stephen a stock puch maxi pretty easy to carry upstairs at about 85 lb (Maxi ridged is lighter) and can be lighter with aftermarket pipe and cylinder (but heaver with mags big seat etc.) whereas a Tomos TS step through is around 125 lb and is bigger and longer so much harder to carry upstairs

The silver ones with brown grips/seats are about 75lbs, green & black ones are a bit lighter, no gears, rigid forks, 65lbs. RadRunner Plus can go faster (24mph) by simply changing something on the lcd display, regular model has more basic display and does 20. Like I said, I got mine to haul a 4 year old so I don't really care to go too fast since his kiddie seat has no suspension.

Of course you can do all sorts of mods to increase speed with different controllers, lcd displays, mount a different motor in the wheel, ect...

You can always twist the throttle a bit when going up the stairs to help out with the carrying. (edited)

Never seen a maxi rigid in person, but I imagine it's around the same size as my Motobecane "7"? That one I can still haul around pretty well, the Honda though is much harder for me, it's not so much the actual weight, it's balancing on the stairs with such an awkward thing? They really were not meant to be carried..lol. I wish I was more impressed with the no-peds I had, as they were very light, but poor performers, especially brake wise. I can not in any way shape or form carry my scooter, VERY heavy and super awkward shape. I like the bigger e-bikes, as pictured above, and the no insurance/plate thing is awesome too from a cheap-ass stand point...I will always have at least one gas bike, because I like them, but I'm more impressed every day with the advances in electric machines. I REALLY want an Onyx, but I just can't get my mind ok with the price, I have the money, but I don't know if I could enjoy it knowing what it cost.....I have never owned a car that cost what an Onyx does, if I could ride year round I think I could justify it...oh well, just have to be patient and let them get older and cheaper! Like Lary has found, people who never should have owned them at all will lose interest and unload them at more reasonable prices.

> Chris . wrote:

> The silver ones with brown grips/seats are about 75lbs, green & black

> ones are a bit lighter, no gears, rigid forks, 65lbs. RadRunner Plus

> can go faster (24mph) by simply changing something on the lcd display,

> regular model has more basic display and does 20. Like I said, I got

> mine to haul a 4 year old so I don't really care to go too fast since

> his kiddie seat has no suspension.

>

> Of course you can do all sorts of mods to increase speed with different

> controllers, lcd displays, mount a different motor in the wheel, ect...

>

> You can always twist the throttle a bit when going up the stairs to help

> out with the carrying.

^ I had thought about that, hell I have thought about doing it with my gas bikes, but it would freak out the neighbors! Mgmt has a don't ask policy about me having them in here, but I'm not going to live here forever, and most places would lose their mind, and my lease thinking I have a moped inside, another non-issue with electric. Thanks for the weight info! Appreciate it.

I sold/rented/wrenched on e-bikes in 2016. I probably touched 100+ bikes in that year, ranging from $500 to $5k/bike.

The brand we sold was reputable in Europe, made in China, and QC'd in California.

The problems that we ran into were present in all models:

- Hot glued electrical connectors would loosen over time

- Lack of service-wire-loops, if a cable got pulled out you need to remove the harness and solder in new cables

- Dealership battery and computer diagnostic tools had garbage software

- Replacement parts were months away

If you are going to buy a bike and will be wrenching on it yourself I suggest a rear-driven motor over center/bottom bracket driven.

If you want something with bells and whistles get something from the big 3.

> Probably Fred wrote:

> Ya Stephen a stock puch maxi pretty easy to carry upstairs at about 85

> lb (Maxi ridged is lighter) and can be lighter with aftermarket pipe and

> cylinder (but heaver with mags big seat etc.)

WEB OF LIES OLD MAN! WHAT ELSE ARE YOU LYING ABOUT? THIS IS WITH THE FOAM POD FILTER THAT IS LIGHTER THAN STOCK AND RIIIIIIPS DICKS.

IMG_20211005_215120.jpg

The Ebike scene has exploded here. I see so many middle aged couples riding matching fat tire Ebikes. Most are Rad power bikes from Vancouver B.C. I was told the bikes have to be shipped back to Vancouver for warranty work. After warranty expires they are basically screwed. Most local bike shops will not service a Ebike unless they sold it. For this reason I took a certified Ebike technician course and plan to make some good coin next summer. I used to poo poo the Ebikes and said if it doesn't smell like gas I don't want it. I also heard 70% of bike manufacturer's profits now come from Ebikes. They are the future...

They are indeed.

Larry Picarello /

I, for one, do not miss going to the Department of Motor Vehicles!

120 is close to 85….right?

The champion of my heart started commuting on the electric Sebring I built. In the past month I've seen 2 new onyx, 2 of the high end super73s, and a sur Ron blasting around my neighborhood. Meanwhile I've seen maybe 2 mopeds in the past years.

Don will tell ya a Sebring is too darn heavy or something silly.

20211007_084417.jpg

Probably Fred /

> Graham Motzing wrote:

> > Probably Fred wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Ya Stephen a stock puch maxi pretty easy to carry upstairs at about 85

>

> > lb (Maxi ridged is lighter) and can be lighter with aftermarket pipe

> and

>

> > cylinder (but heaver with mags big seat etc.)

>

> WEB OF LIES OLD MAN! WHAT ELSE ARE YOU LYING ABOUT? THIS IS WITH THE

> FOAM POD FILTER THAT IS LIGHTER THAN STOCK AND RIIIIIIPS DICKS.

> >

I don’t know what you’re talking about but yeah a pod filter brand new rips like hell after a few days/weeks of use it’s all packed up with gas and water and runs like shit

I’m not lying I have more years of moped experience than you have been alive, my children are older than you, I have hi powered kitted builds from 2006 to 2010 that are still working! do you?

If you were to come over here and have them take out any of my eight plated bikes you would say OMG or maybe you wouldn’t! so give me a break or don’t ha ha !

> Born to be WillD wrote:

> The champion of my heart started commuting on the electric Sebring I

> built. In the past month I've seen 2 new onyx, 2 of the high end

> super73s, and a sur Ron blasting around my neighborhood. Meanwhile I've

> seen maybe 2 mopeds in the past years.

>

> Don will tell ya a Sebring is too darn heavy or something silly.

You musta just told her a good joke . LOL

Good for her . ;)

I love ya Ken, just Joshin ya, I was in the garage with the scale measuring my dirtybike and had to check.

This bike has a bunch of extra shit on it too so it's not totally accurate but I'm pretty sure no stock maxi is under 100#. I have a stock maxi so maybe I'll drag it out of the barn sometime and check. Hell I could weigh all my mopeds for that matter, Moby, Motron, ttlx, Sprint st, Sachs,..... it would be cool to actually know for real.

The reason I was weighing my dirtybike is that the internet thinks it's 240 and I knew that was wrong. It's more like 222 dry. Maybe 240 totally full off gas. Something gets posted and ppl just parrot it for ever.

> Probably Fred wrote:

> If you were to come over here and have them take out any of my eight

> plated bikes you would say OMG or maybe you wouldn’t! so give me a break

> or don’t ha ha !

parallel lines never do cross over

> Born to be WillD wrote:

> The champion of my heart started commuting on the electric Sebring I

> built. In the past month I've seen 2 new onyx, 2 of the high end

> super73s, and a sur Ron blasting around my neighborhood. Meanwhile I've

> seen maybe 2 mopeds in the past years.

>

> Don will tell ya a Sebring is too darn heavy or something silly.

Very cool project. Sorry I missed your previous posts on this build. I would love to convert my dead 76 Sachs to electric. Have my eye on the 3000 watt Cyclone motor at Luna Cycle. The bare motor is $250.00 but a decent battery pack will be 800 ish. Any suggestions of what parts to buy or not would be appreciated...Cheers.

here in VA, e-bikes are already regulated in a gray between bicycles and mopeds. Also, they can be more regulated depending on where you ride. IMHO regulation being driven by insurance companies.

some things i know:

0) any local/state park/trail system can make whatever rules they want.

1) There are a bunch of stupid rules for insuring groups of riders at an event. insurance companies dont like throttles...they really want pedal assist only.

2) max "throttle only" speed

3) max Watt rating ... which is about as effective as limiting a 2-stroke via volumetric displacement

4) then other rules similar to mopeds for lights, brakes, n such

if i build an electric moped, i'll probably get it classified as a motorcycle so i dont have to follow a bunch of dumb rules that make it a hazard to ride in my rural area. in the mean time, i bought one of these to commute to work:

ebike link dont click if ya hate them (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account