Moped-Less Gang Obtains Moped & Seeks More

My one of our members believes she's found a 1979 motobecane in her price range (ie free) & Im curious about everyone's thoughts about these two pictured ... there's 15 of us in the "gang" so we're looking at all our options. Also Jackerz said he might have a lead & Dylan is waiting on parts for 2 other mopeds.

My husband & I have been saving up to buy a house for 5 years & we finally accepted we can't afford shit here ... the more we save, the more cost goes up ... & we aren't willing to move because my folks are old enough that they're pretty fragile & we possess their greatest source of joy since we raise their only grandchildren. Anyway, I m pretty sure I can convince him to let me borrow against what we've saved ... I don't want to go crazy but I think I could do $750ish without feeling irresponsible to a degree that would keep me awake at night.

Hoping for thoughts on these two listings...these are replies I got about these bikes when I asked what's up with them.

From Pink Puch:

"Hi, sorry for the delayed reply. It's available. Nothing wrong with it, but, I mentioned in the ad it's been mostly sitting for around 7 months. So there's a chance the carb needs to be cleaned. I don't know a ton about mopeds either but I've been told that's not a big deal at all, just easier to handle if you were someone who's done that kind of thing before. Or maybe it could be done at a shop even? Anyway, if you're interested we can definitely make a time for you to see it. Feel free to text." - Elsa

From Yamaha:

"So the situation with the moped is that about 3 years ago my friend bought it from the auto shop and it ran at the time. It sat is his garage for a couple years and he lost the keys and the title. Last spring I started working on it, replaced the key, and put in new engine that I got from a motorcycle shop, so I know the engine is solid. I haven’t got it to start though, I think it’s something electrical but I don’t really know what I’m doing. All the important stuff is there though with a good engine and a new carb. As for the registration I spent two months online with the dmv before they told me I had to come in person because I didn’t have any documents for it, and by that time I’d moved for school and decided I’d rather pass it on. The moped is currently at my father’s house in Healdsburg." - Luca

Screenshot_20211001-195510_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211001-195104_Chrome.jpg

Re: Moped-Less Gang Obtains Moped & Seeks More

The QT is a bit suspicious, new motor? Also I'm not keen on California law but in Ohio the lack of pedals on the QT makes it a scooter, and it's registration, insurance and license requirements are different.

What's the price on the Maxi?

$750 on puch maxi ... just noticed I cut off the price. (edited)

> Nick MBC wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The QT is a bit suspicious, new motor? Also I'm not keen on California

> law but in Ohio the lack of pedals on the QT makes it a scooter, and

> it's registration, insurance and license requirements are different.

>

> What's the price on the Maxi?

$750 on the maxi.

Thanks for info on QT. I'll bet some CA folks will chime in ... I'm not looking for a project since we don't know much - interested in learning, but a project bike is a dumb place to start if we want to ride anytime soon but the price caught my eye.

I'd pass on the QT. Technically not a moped, and legally can't be plated as one with the DMV.

the ad sounds sketchy, and they're ugly and slow as fuck.

The Puch sounds ok, but it always makes me laugh when they say "probably just needs the carb cleaned."

That usually means it doesn't run and they don't know why, or they do know, and it's much worse than a carb clean.

And considering it takes about 15 minutes to clean a tiny moped carb, anyone who doesn't do it so they can sell a running bike for more money is retarded.

But it looks pretty. Maybe you can sweet talk someone from here in your area to check it out with you before you buy it.

daan SJAARLOOS /

Don't know about prices don't live in the US but a maxi is a very good beginner moped. Mega parts availability and cheap too. Only thing I'd consider is the fact the seller claims an engine rebuild but also claims not to know a lot about mopeds so I wonder if it was put together right. Especially since it's apparently hard to clean a carb (edited)

The Puch looks the better buy of the two. I wouldn't have thought that after only 7 months, the carb would be gummed up enough not to start, so could be something else. Seems honest enough and a good base to start from.

Johnny Braaapp /

Take $500 cash and go get your maxi!

Hi Audra, so the pink Puch is one of my old bikes FYI. Fully rebuilt and ran great when I sold it to Elsa. I’m sure 5 minutes would bring it back to life! Think she’s selling it for around the same price I sold if for but now it’s not running $650 would be a good deal. That engine is spotless on the inside too! It’s a maxi-s which is also pretty cool!

F33D6ADE-8DD1-4DA3-A521-5D44F3B35E1A.jpeg

Also got this one I built as a full size Barbie replica moped I’d sell in stock forum if interested. If you look up Barbie moped you will see what I’m talking about. Pass on the Qt50 and get all the free motobecanes you can, if anything else it’s just a good free thing to do with your friends!

That maxi is just about the ideal platform on which to learn moped stuff. It has the e50 motor, which is a single speed (relatively simple and robust), and there are TONS of parts available for puchs.

> baird co wrote:

> I'd pass on the QT. Technically not a moped, and legally can't be plated

> as one with the DMV.

>

> the ad sounds sketchy, and they're ugly and slow as fuck.

>

> The Puch sounds ok, but it always makes me laugh when they say "probably

> just needs the carb cleaned."

>

> That usually means it doesn't run and they don't know why, or they do

> know, and it's much worse than a carb clean.

>

> And considering it takes about 15 minutes to clean a tiny moped carb,

> anyone who doesn't do it so they can sell a running bike for more money

> is retarded.

>

> But it looks pretty. Maybe you can sweet talk someone from here in your

> area to check it out with you before you buy it.

Solid thank you. The pretty one the vibe I get is she thinks/thought mopeds are cool & might be a good transit solution to the the BS bay area traffic, bought it as it is (rebuilt) thinking she would ride it & hasn't & is now selling. Could be 100% wrong. I can ask more questions ... doesn't even specify if it runs or not so that would probably be a good question hah doh... (edited)

> Jackerz ! wrote:

> Hi Audra, so the pink Puch is one of my old bikes FYI. Fully rebuilt and

> ran great when I sold it to Elsa. I’m sure 5 minutes would bring it back

> to life! Think she’s selling it for around the same price I sold if for

> but now it’s not running $650 would be a good deal. That engine is

> spotless on the inside too! It’s a maxi-s which is also pretty cool!

>

> Also got this one I built as a full size Barbie replica moped I’d sell

> in stock forum if interested. If you look up Barbie moped you will see

> what I’m talking about. Pass on the Qt50 and get all the free

> motobecanes you can, if anything else it’s just a good free thing to do

> with your friends!

Hah this is great info! I hoped there might be someone who recognized the pink Puch. Message me about the Barbie moped I am curious about all avenues ... tell me what the deal is. I'll do some research. Motobecane is getting delivered today!!! First in the pack!!! She is thinking about naming it the Hermantor. Everybody names their bikes right?? That is a thing ... right?

Many people do indeed name their bikes. Not everyone, but that's OK too. :)

Ahh going about it the completely wrong way I see, just as I did! Moby's are horrible first bike but as a plus you will DEFINITELY Learn the moped basics from it......it's like accelerated learning.lol you'll get alot of the standard moped problems alot more often...nothing encouraged me more than it breaking.over...and over....

Moby's are my favorite now tho.shhh

Your gonna want to ditch that gurtner carb quickly....a dellorto sha 15:15 will fit on the stock intake but won't benefit power much. But as a replacement it's a magnitude better reliability wise. Pair that with a malossi shorty av7(your engine) Intake manifold and you'll gain alotta pep. Don't forget, whenever you change anything dealing with air/fuel on a moped you need to re-jet the carb...the oils in the gas Soo too little gas=seized engine.....dont worry about buying gaskets, well cut cereal box gaskets soaked in two stroke oil work fine for most bikes. Xacto

But Soo many people have done the dellorto swap the needed jet size is out there...

Change that drive belt and buy a grease gun....gotta have a grease gun for a moby, many zirc fittings that lube moving parts.

Edit, but FIRST. NEW TIRES N TUBES. Those old tires will fail and hurt you! (edited)

^ All ture, nothing wrong with a Moby, it was my first, and I still think they are one of the best riding bikes out there, they feel so much more substantial than other makes. I have good luck with the gurtners, most don't seem to, the carb swap is worth it...I guess. GREASE GUN. Read the wiki for how and why, also, read everything in there by Rebel Moby, he knows more about these than anyone I have ever spoken with. You got a RED one, (they are hands down the best) so you are off to a good start! This was my last one, they clean up so nice!

Russell Huddy /

A friend of mine just told me he’s selling a moby 50v and a Peugeot 103 in Sacramento. I can get you his info if you’re interested

^ Yes!! Get those bikes!

All-girl club on all-French bikes!

fix-me-like-one-of-your-french-bikes.jpeg

Tweaker trash /

I’m confused, is this about you or the gang member? Seems like you have bigger issues then just trying to keep some old moped gang together.

Get the fuck out of California! You could probably afford to move the entire family somewhere else and really be able to enjoy each other’s company if that’s your main interest.

“Moneys for posers” ski bum

I’m getting a small property in the middle of fucking nowhere and building a small 500sq ft house, not spending more then $50,000 on the entire set up. If I have kids I’ll build them their own mini house. (edited)

Yea you are confused

Tweaker trash /

> Mike Boyd wrote:

> Yea you are confused

That’s what U think lol

> Aaron Blair wrote:

> Ahh going about it the completely wrong way I see, just as I did! Moby's

> are horrible first bike but as a plus you will DEFINITELY Learn the

> moped basics from it......it's like accelerated learning.lol you'll get

> alot of the standard moped problems alot more often...nothing encouraged

> me more than it breaking.over...and over....

>

> Moby's are my favorite now tho.shhh

>

> Your gonna want to ditch that gurtner carb quickly....a dellorto sha

> 15:15 will fit on the stock intake but won't benefit power much. But as

> a replacement it's a magnitude better reliability wise. Pair that with a

> malossi shorty av7(your engine) Intake manifold and you'll gain alotta

> pep. Don't forget, whenever you change anything dealing with air/fuel on

> a moped you need to re-jet the carb...the oils in the gas Soo too little

> gas=seized engine.....dont worry about buying gaskets, well cut cereal

> box gaskets soaked in two stroke oil work fine for most bikes. Xacto

>

> But Soo many people have done the dellorto swap the needed jet size is

> s out there...

>

> Change that drive belt and buy a grease gun....gotta have a grease gun

> for a moby, many zirc fittings that lube moving parts.

>

> Edit, but FIRST. NEW TIRES N TUBES. Those old tires will fail and hurt

> you!

Digesting all of this & will run it by Amber & figure out next move. Tires & tubes & go from there ... got the puch & it's not running so we gotta figure that out hopefully just carb.

> Mike Boyd wrote:

> ^ Yes!! Get those bikes!

>

> All-girl club on all-French bikes!

> >

Following leads on these ... but ... we did get the puch (at below asking price ... but it doesn't run ... but we're learning shit) so not all French. Got another lead on a Peugeot that a friend is using as lawn art.

Under the new moon we did officially name ourselves the Sissy Tomboys ... lost by a hair to Scooter Skanks & Sounds of Violence. Next meet up is end of Oct.

2 bikes, one working one not, for 15 members ... we've been taking turns riding the one bike. It's ridiculous but whatever - really its not terrible considering we didn't exist a month ago.

> Tweaker trash wrote:

> I’m confused, is this about you or the gang member? Seems like you have

> bigger issues then just trying to keep some old moped gang together.

>

> Get the fuck out of California! You could probably afford to move the

> entire family somewhere else and really be able to enjoy each other’s

> company if that’s your main interest.

>

> “Moneys for posers” ski bum

>

> I’m getting a small property in the middle of fucking nowhere and

> building a small 500sq ft house, not spending more then $50,000 on the

> entire set up. If I have kids I’ll build them their own mini house.

It sucks.

So, i grew up here, my parents live in the house they bought 2 years before I was born - they're in their 70s & I've got their only grandchildren.

And so we can't leave - morally, I can't do it. And yet we really can't afford to live here - we are renting my brother's house at under market & my husband does handyman work to subsidize the rent. I'm caulking trim tomorrow. Such is life right now.

And for the last 5 years we've been saving for a house ... I got the go ahead to borrow from our savings for a moped.

Your idea is the jam tho, I'm into it as soon as we don't have moral obligations here. Where you moving??

Sissy tomboys is a great name for a moped club

That puch is clean

campeona del mundo /

> campeona del mundo wrote:

> talk em down to $600!!

> https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/el-cerrito-1977-kreidler-50cc-flory-ii/7393268109.html

Gonna try. Thank you!

> Audra Meusx wrote:

> Sounds of Violence.

I remember once someone trying to get everyone to quiet down and yelling "can I get 20 seconds of silence?!"

To which someone yelled "20 SECONDS OF VIOLENCE" and all hell broke loose. I got punched in the head, it was fantastic silliness. 20 seconds of violence remains a fond phrase

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account