Tomos Streetmate R Carb upgrade

Jeffrey Rogalski /

I have a 2011 Streetmate R. Could someone tell me what is the size of the stock carb? I want to put a 17.5mm carb on and wondering if it will fit.

Re: Tomos Streetmate R Carb upgrade

Probably Fred /

Stock carb is a phva14 which = 14mm

A 17.5 carb will fit on stock intake but the stock intake is only 15 mm at its largest and cylinder intake hole can be only 14 mm

So you will need a aftermarket intake and dremel the cylinder intake hole to 17.5 mm.

You should be able to get low to mid 40s mph out of the stock 14mm carb with the right filter and pipe.

What is your set up and what is your speed?

Jeffrey Rogalski /

The guy I bought it from put a 70cc kit and a biturbo exhaust on it

That is all that I am aware of so everything else should be stock.

I can get up to around 35-40Mph

I just want a bigger carb to see if it will make it run better/faster

If you have any suggestions please Let me know

Probably Fred /

Yeah that’s horrible performance for a kit and pipe, you should be at 45 mph at least!

Putting a bigger carburetor on it is not gonna do nothing if you have the stock 14-15mm ID intake

My stock cylinder revival (basically the same bike as a streetmate) Goes low to mid 40s with my 205-210 lb on it and that’s with no kit.

I’ve opened up the intake tract a little bit more and now I even got more low and takeoff then in the above video,

You need a retune/rejet your carburetor, run a metal mesh air filter, put a 24 tooth sprocket on the back, case match the kit to the ports in the engine block, open up the intake hole to match intake if smaller then intake, there’s a few other things you can do too but that’s a good start

Jeffrey Rogalski /

I always Wondered If I should be going faster with a 70cc. for all I know the guy could have lied and it's still a stock 49cc. the only thing that confuses me is the guy me the old piston and cylinders. If you could help me I could send pictures of the old one and the one I have on it and you can tell me what I have. I really appreciate you helping me and if you couldn't tell I don't know that much. I'm defiantly going to consider doing the things you preferred.

Instead of tuning and re-jetting the carb. wouldn't just be better to put a 17.5mm on it?

I defiantly want to put a bigger one on there anyway

Also, I watched the video you sent and that is 100% faster than mine and that confuses me.

"Also, I watched the video you sent and that is 100% faster than mine and that confuses me".

It confuses you, because the advice he is offering about tuning the 14mm carb doesn't match your idea of just wanting to put on a 17.5mm carb. Go for solid tried and tested route from an experienced tuner, or go with what you seem to be hell bent on doing anyway, your choice.

Probably Fred /

First of all that kit is not 70 cc it’s 44 mm which is around 64 cc and the ports on that kit are small compared to the ports in the engine case which restricts it.

Most Tomos a55 owners will tell you the stock cylinder is as fast or faster than the 44mm airsal kit though with a little massaging you could get three or four mph out of it then a stock cylinder,

I got 49mph on that 44mm kit with the stock carburetor after I opened the ports and redid the squish etc.

I hate buying a bike that has been modified and if I do I usually end up selling it because the person every time, I mean every single time didn’t know what they were doing so most times the bike went slower.

Be off with the jetting, timing/tuning a little bit and your bike is a dog!

If you can’t tune to be spot on with your tuning I suggest you buy a scooter.

For a noob the best bet is to start off with a pure stock bike and make changes and learn as you go.

I think you should put the stock cylinder and piston back on with all new gaskets and run 13$ Metal mesh filter

8237A1A1-1E94-4C9E-8342-55583B70F5F8.jpeg

64 jet middle clip selection on the needle, 24 tooth rear sprocket and you maybe close to my 5 year old video.

No matter what you decide, you will need to do some carb tuning. Please don't expect to be able to just slap a larger carb on it without any adjustment and see any kind of improvement, or for it to even run.

I always like to start with a stock tune and go from there. Stock cylinder and piston as Roffman said above if you have it.

Lotsa stuff to soak in here. Dont even know what you have or how much money u wanna spend. Read a bunch on tomos piston port tuning figure out whatcha got take a picture of your carb n cylinder. Do some shopping n then hit us back if its in the ballpark. Dont forget u need an exhaust too.

So here is my fairly well researched take: put a 17.5mm PHVA on the bike, don't worry about doing anything to the intake at all, it's fine. Jetting with a pod filter will be around 20 idle, 40 slide, a7 needle, and around a 92 main jet, give or take. Swapping to the larger carb will not really net you much higher rpm ceiling but correct jetting will. Also gearing with the Streetmate is a bit wonky because of the larger tires so yea a 24T rear is equivalent to a 22t rear on a spring or otherwise. You don't need to switch back to stock stuff, just run what you already have, it's fine, It will vibrate more than stock but should pull a little harder with slightly higher top end rpm. Good luck!

Jeffrey Rogalski /

Here's a photo of my moped and my carb. I'm willing to spend whatever is needed. I've read everything everyone has wrote and I think I'm going to start by turning my current carb and if I need to, put an aftermarket intake on. After doing that if I don't see any improvements I will look into getting a 17.5mm. I'm not putting the old piston and cylinder back on because I'm pretty sure the piston is broken and the cylinders are very dirty and very used.

Also about the air filter you linked. that tyoe of air filer would not fit nicely on my moped because my current stock air filer in long and rectangle and it fits nice under the side plate. the circle air filter would not fit under the side plating.

carb.jpeg
moped.jpeg

The biturbo is a pretty bad choice for your setup in my opinion. Being a two speed you'll get more outta an estoril or other low hitting pipe. Bet that would net you alot of low end.

Ya got an airsal kit on there n biturbo an your doing 35 -40. Get it to 45 n quick n then you can start messing with other stuff. A 14 carb can easily get u to 50. Change the stock airbox n get the metal mesh like roffman suggested but with less of a sweep it will tuck under stock cover. After making sure carb is a 14 read the numbers on the other side get some jets.

Read up on jetting n carb tuning. Im guessing around 66.

Read up on oil injection.

Read up on clutch springs.

Biturbo works fine.

Jeffrey Rogalski /

Sounds good. this weekend I'm going to take the carb off and read the other side to make sure its a 14. The only bad thing is I cant start anything big cuz I ride it to school everyday. I'm also going to order that air filter and read into everything. thanks for the advice everyone

Jeffrey Rogalski /

Adding on to that, do you think getting a new fuel filter would help a little. I haven't replaced it or anything.

Jeffrey Rogalski /

I took the stock air filter off and put a mesh filter on and the sound of the bike is a lot deeper and it runs better.

If your using as a daily rider id just keep mods to a minimal and make sure "everything" is tightened up periodically. If u still running oil injection then keep that oil topped off w the right stuff and add a little to the gas since its kitted.

As long as the tomos filter isnt leaking it is fine and is not gonna change nothing.

So any performance gains w the filter?

Jeffrey Rogalski /

I can tell it's faster and it's getting a lot more air now. when I took the stock one off it was all black and oozy. there is one problem I have is when I start is and pull the throttle it doesn't go anywhere and it just makes a loud dead sound but then it will kick on after a minute. Also, the guy I bought it from took off the oil thing so I mix the gas myself with the oil.

I might have something lose and that's why I'm having this problem. Maybe its getting too much air

> Jeffrey Rogalski wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I can tell it's faster and it's getting a lot more air now. when I took

> the stock one off it was all black and oozy. there is one problem I have

> is when I start is and pull the throttle it doesn't go anywhere and it

> just makes a loud dead sound but then it will kick on after a minute.

> Also, the guy I bought it from took off the oil thing so I mix the gas

> myself with the oil.

>

> I might have something lose and that's why I'm having this problem.

> Maybe its getting too much air

Not real familiar with tomos but if he deleted the oil injection did he plug the hole in the intake for the oil hose of it had one? If not you will have a big air leak. Did you rejet the carb after you pit on the new filter? If you change to a high flow filter you will have to richen up the main jet.

Jeffrey Rogalski /

Yeah, he deleted the oil injection but I don't think he plugged the hole cuz the little rubber hose is hooked up but it goes nowhere. And no i did not re jett it

I'd the hose is still connected to the intake then I would find a small fine thread bolt that will fit in there snug. Put a little rtv on the bolt first and screw it into the hose. After that mabye go up a few sizes on your jet. How does your plug look? The a few pics of the oil line on your carb and mabye your plug?

As I'm said I'm not real versed on tomos so I would also look into how the oil pump is deleted to make sure the previous owner did it correctly

Jeffrey Rogalski /

yeah the tube is still hooked up so for right now I plugged the end of the tube with tape. still having the problem tho

Jeffrey Rogalski /

i can show pics when I get home if that helps

> Jeffrey Rogalski wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> i can show pics when I get home if that helps

Yeah. Tape probably ain't gonna do much.

With a kit, stock carb and Bi-turbo you should have great performance, if you're geared 26-22 you should get mid to high 40s. The sidebleed is a better pipe, however the crank pipe would be great. The 17.5 carb when tuned will give you a much better low to mid range pull on stock intake. However honestly if you're going to spend money on a carb, plan for the future, get a phbg 19 and 19 intake. Gear 27-20, mine ran 56 all day long with a Honda elite pipe I hacked and welded. But 26-22 gearing and a better intake and carb of your choice.

Remember Ken said a 24T rear sprocket. That one looks bigger, I masy be wrong.

I have the 64cc kit and 24T sprocket and hit 43 mph on a cool night.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account