1962 Honda cub 50

Refurbishing Honda cub how to test coil for fire

Was given a cub purchased in japan going well

Have started before however it seems I have no fire now. Changed ignition switch (no keys)

Struggled with wiring diagram no headlight or tail light. Horn signals neutral light all working properly. Please advise. It appears no one works on old scooters here

2AB6BE03-3E99-4292-A1EF-42ADC342DD81.jpeg

Re: 1962 Honda cub 50

Kevin Bishop /

Mine needed a new condenser. 5$ at autozone. I just disconnected my wiring to the key switch. It came without a key to.

To test coil just remove plug, put it back in boot resting on case so that metal(plug) touches metal(case), and kick over. Should spark.

That is a great colour combo

you can test the coil by making sure everything else works, i mean see if there's power coming outta the stator, just holding the wire while turning the flywheel with a drill or whatever. if not, it's likely points, maybe a short. but if that does spark double check the other wires to the coild are disconnecter - what i mean is remove the wires goin up to the switches. just bypass that for troubleshooting . check spark and if nada, try just the bare plug wire (eliminating the plug uitself and the boot to check if those were the fault. at this point you've chased back from both ends and can be pretty confident it'd be a coil problem.

Alternately you can test the coil itself. grab a battery of the same voltage as the bike (that year for sure oughtta be 6v) and you hold the coil and plug in hand, with the coil and spark plug grounded to the negative, tap the power in lead for the coil against the positive terminal and it should pop a lil spark. just a wuick jump every time you tap it.

Wow that's a nice bike! That's worth quite a bit of money like that, don't fuck it up.

Joe Marquez /

Purchased in Japan that color was used for Japanese mail service not available to public there. Buyer convinced them he was exporting to U S

Joe Marquez /

]tried that Thanx for reply going to other posts to study suggestions. Probably need flywheel puller.

C357F0EB-3068-444C-BC0C-90481015D011.jpeg

Joe Marquez /

All original but the seat had that done locally low profile for my gal still a bit tall for her.

Hey do you happen to know are these rear mirrors 10mm or 8mm threaded ?

Joe Marquez /

Update:

Scooter running now, getting used to shifting patern. Will be teaching my gal to drive it soon.

Joe Marquez /

So glad the cub is running. Just about got run over by a large dog on first ride. Did manage to out run him. 30 mph top speed see how it does today. Maybe a ride on the can am spider.

05CB2788-ED6E-424B-B253-D2DA71E3632F.jpeg

you can get a key cut on ebay by the code on the switch,I think it is hondakeysonline,just email him with the number and then he will tell you if he can cut it.

Checkout Dr.ATV/Beatrice Cycle. One of, if not THE best site for getting restoration/oem Honda parts. Very knowledgeable folks.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account