Safe to run

Abbott Scheffel /

I have a chip out of my av7 block, just wondering if it safe to run or Should I get a new one, I don't think the pistion has a long enough stock to go that low but I could be wrong, any opinions

20200613_100447.jpg

Re: Safe to run

Yikes I wouldn't run it? Cheap enough to just get a new one. Why risk destroying the bottom end when the rung catches and ends up everywhere (edited)

will it run, yeah

safe? debatable

it's well below the bottom of the exhaust so you've got no worry about the rings catching it but it def looks like it's about to lose more flakes and any of those could cause trouble.

I would probably try'n dremel file and hone it so there's no edge there. like chip off anything that'll come off and file the rest down to smooth and probably be OK

What does the piston look like? post a picture of it

Not safe

I'm wondering how far up that will chip away and then will any other spots start to delaminate .

Moby plating sucks, stock av7 cylinders like to chip when you port them.

The airsal 50 kit is really nice stock replacement and a good bit faster, I would upgrade if I were you.

yea i mean if I intended to ride this for any period of time it's worth replacing, who knows when more shit's gonna fall off. honestly though i'd actually just tryn clean it up and run it, knowing it was a bad idea, and see how long it takes to fail. months? minutes? who knows.

It's like hot gluing the weakest link of a chain back together, it's still weak as shit even if it's "together"

Abbott Scheffel /

this is the pistion, it is done

20200613_100408.jpg

Hooo that's toasted.

The lower bearing would be very suspect .

The rest looks savable , at least for a while .

A new crank and top end might be a lot less work and worry .

I had a motobecane for a short period of time. Thing was super minty. I tossed a delorto 15.15 on it and it went good but I never realy could get into the motor moving below me! If I was you I would sell off the evil French bike and get a puch or minarelli bike. I see way to many "motobecane wont work" threads on here. They kinda suck in my opinion! If they are running and working great then shit you cab have a 40mph bike for cheap. But they never seem to be easy. I see people trying to make a realy shitty slow motobecane be faster!!! If I was to start with one I would at least get a 30mph guy. Sorry I have some kind of hate for these. Oh and your horn will just turn on or it will kill your bike. As I said sell the evilness and find a Italian minarelli powered bike. I guess that polini 80 (75) or whatever they are are hard to get now. Toss one of those on with 15 or 16 delorto sha and a decent pipe (not sure what is good now) mabye hack and weld a estroil. Put a 11 tooth front sprocket and a 38 on the rear and blast past your puch buddy. Just got to make sure you don't heat up the clutch to much.

Post a wtb ad in the buy/sell for a whole motor. Theres a single speed av7 for 85 shipped. Much easier starting off point both parts n money.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account