What's your best and worst moped wrenching tool?

Ayup everyone, what's your favourite (and most useless) wrenching tool?

My favourite is this👇 tiny ¼" drive T bar ratchet thing. Bought it as it was a counter top offer thinking it was cute and never thought I'd find it useful, but I've used it tons. Really helpful in getting in awkward spaces, especially with my fat mits, and reduces the chances of shredding threads by over tightening.

20210915_102859.jpg

My most useless is this👇 strange adjustable spanner. Cool AF fine tooth ratchet (never seen another) but it's always either too tight or too loose whenever I've tried to use it. To date the only nut it has ever fitted is a moby exhaust nut, but thats something at least.

20210915_124908.jpg

So what's yours? Have a rootle in the tool chests and take pictures please!

Re: What's your best and worst moped wrenching tool?

My favorite is this little 1/4 inch drive ratchet. Great for tight spaces and very handy working behind the dashboard on cars. Worst tool is a clunky 1/2 inch drive ratchet without a quick release for the socket. It's MIA right now and I hope I never find it.

whizzer-112.jpg

I finally broke down and dropped $80 on one of these this spring, wow, she's a beaut. Smooth as butter and like a zillion clicks per turn. If it's in your budget I would highly recommend 10/10

IMG_20210422_115244.jpg

my best tool is my tool bag loaded with everything I might need, even tubes.

The tool I hate to have to use are my tire spoons. Blech!

Not really moped specific but I still really love this set of wire strippers. Found it completely rusted shut, spent a lil time cleaning all of the pieces up & and they work flawlessly.

3AEC3081-51B6-401E-9E3E-00AAF087903A.jpeg
836D32B8-0214-4D6C-85BB-99EB7F29CA14.jpeg

^ that’s the best kind of tool and tool story right there

Those wire strippers are great.

I got one of these 1/4" drive spinner handles that I love, it can act as an extender or a driver and comes in very handy very often

Worst? Anything not metric

31mLyjqi+zL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

^^ I agree, those wire strippers are sweet and mopeds have wires so it's allowed👍. I had a more modern set that went wrong in no time, guess it's one of those 'they don't make em like they used to' things.

Keep them coming please!

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, it's expensive, but it's amazingly versatile.

https://www.kctool.com/wera-003550-zyklop-ratchet-3-8-drive/

I like it so much, I replaced the complete set that was stolen out of my shop with an identical set.

My most useless tool would probably be my tank wrench (although it is a good business card holder).

EA225E15-3072-455D-97D5-DFEEBF198D30.jpeg

Most useful would have to be my Sony noise canceling headphones to drown out all the sounds of my heavier machinery Lol.

best and worse? in one tool!?

being grossly sick. i dont why, but i turn into a master mechanic when i feel like utter garbage... and being that sick sux.

beer is a close 2nd, but i have a history of injuring myself when over-zealously consuming liquid wrenching elixir. (edited)

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Rebar pliers.

Stanley vice drive. It's like an alligator socket self adjusts and applies side pressure

campeona del mundo /
GW_80313_FRNT_MAIN.jpg

gearwrench 1/4" drive deep+regular depth socket, ratchet and socket driver. irreplaceable (edited)

Wow rad I got a bunch of wera stuff, shit is so nice. Really not that spendy for the quality.

> Dirty30 Dillon wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah, it's expensive, but it's amazingly versatile.

>

> https://www.kctool.com/wera-003550-zyklop-ratchet-3-8-drive/

>

> I like it so much, I replaced the complete set that was stolen out of my

> shop with an identical set.

.....I have those exact ancient wire strippers. I played with them as a little kid in Dad's shop, now they're mine. One of my favorite tools is the tiny magnet on the end of a telescoping wand. Perfect for putting tiny nuts or washers on the end and getting them down into small spaces and started. I even have one with a tiny light in the middle of the magnet.

However, my absolute number one is this tiny little crescent wrench. It's in my pocket when I ride, too.

Worst - I have a million little 3/8 - 7/16 wrenches that look like they should fit everything, and they fit nothing. I swear they're multiplying in there.

20210916_181834.jpg

daan SJAARLOOS /

I work for a big international tool webshop so I see a lot of tools on a daily basis

I got this as a gift from our Wera sales representative and I really love it. Has a tiny 1/4 ratchet thingy where you can put bits on as well plus a normal screwdriver handle. There is a bitholder too you can use as an extention piece on the ratchet or handle. Fits in your jacket and is nice and flat so really easy to take on rides.

Bought this thinking I would have tons of uses for it but everytime I think I can use it doesn't work

awesome thread.

I use a crescent for an annoying amount of stuff.

I'm ordering one of those minis.

I have this little crescent and I also usually have this little kline stubby multi un my pocket.

20210917_101057.jpg
20210917_101242.jpg

cable 3rd hand tool, flat wrenches, tiny hammer, digital calipers, good tire spoons, good multimeter, cordless impact gun, beer coozie.

Like TitaniumTrudy I also carry a ancient 4 inch crescent in my pocket. Usually carried for bicycle rides. I have a collection of antique wrenches still in use. From the top:

4 inch Bet R Grip...Jamestown N.Y.

6 inch Crescent Tool Co. ...Jamestown N.Y.

6 inch AB Bahco...Stockholm

8 inch Imprex Titanium...Arlington Heights Il. (Stupid expensive)

The titanium wrench is made for working on live MRI's in a high Tesla field. At 3,000 times gravity a ferrous iron wrench would go right thru a person without slowing down.

Trudy: Your collection of small wrenches are probably old ignition wrenches in weird sizes. Pretty much useless now.

whizzer-115.jpg

> Jesse Stephenson wrote:

> cable 3rd hand tool, flat wrenches, tiny hammer, digital calipers, good

> tire spoons, good multimeter, cordless impact gun, beer coozie.

I feel like I need someone to explain to me how to get the most benefit out of the 3rd hand tool

> Mike Boyd wrote:

> > Jesse Stephenson wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > cable 3rd hand tool, flat wrenches, tiny hammer, digital calipers,

> good

>

> > tire spoons, good multimeter, cordless impact gun, beer coozie.

>

> I feel like I need someone to explain to me how to get the most benefit

> out of the 3rd hand tool

Commonly referred to as a fourth hand tool. I use these on bicycles. Of course there's a Youtube video...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Dayum Satan

Here I thought you were just happy to see me. Stubby in yer pocket...

Been using this wore striper for the better of 10 years. It is a auto and does not care what wire you throw at it. The crimper is also magic as you grab the proper size conectors and just squeeze a little to hold it. Then you can put the wire inside the conector and just squeeze. Makes a almost perfect crimp every time. It tells you what color to use.

16319335658923642501479614629676.jpg
16319336225223087568637269529515.jpg

I also purchased this tekton 1/4 kit and the 3/8 kit. I think I paid around 150 for both? Both top notch kits with no bullshit you don't need. The ratchets have super fine indexing with nice long handles. They also fold out so they can fit in a tool box drawer. I like that option so I can fold up and bring with me. Very compact and high quality.

16319348711237211274905532628035.jpg

This may be the worst tool in my box? I have alot of old tools but this giant work of art never gets used. My add sees it and pulls it from the drawer and admires it for a few seconds and it goes back in. I may even grab a rag with some oil and rub it down first. Im pretty sure I restored it at some point.

16319355857275264161798685327914.jpg

Ted - you're probably right about all the little wrenches. Dad always worked on our cars, so there you have it. Mr. Satan, that wrench IS a work of art. I have a few. I treasure them. Great fun here for all the tool whores - great tips. A really nice little self-contained complete set of metrics like I'm seeing here sure would save a lot of looking and digging......

> Mike Boyd wrote:

> > Jesse Stephenson wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > cable 3rd hand tool, flat wrenches, tiny hammer, digital calipers,

> good

>

> > tire spoons, good multimeter, cordless impact gun, beer coozie.

>

> I feel like I need someone to explain to me how to get the most benefit

> out of the 3rd hand tool

They are the best tool I have ever encountered. Especially for working on bikes if you ever have brake work to do. It is like a vice grip and a circlip spreader at the same time, but is specific for your brake cables. Pulls the tension you need and locks in place so you can use both of your hands to tighten it up.

Tom, where did you find that? It looks very handy!

Brad William /

A couple of favorites. Went looking for an image of the small irwin visegrip needle nose that I keep in the road toolkit and saw these.

knipex.jpeg

Hmm. Do I need them?

Wait... they don't have a cutting anvil. Deal breaker.

irwin.jpg

I ground the tip on mine into a slightly more needle-like profile for better precision without seriously weakening them.

Also, with the mention of wire strippers. I own a dozen or more. Some really truly nice ones collected over the years. But I go to these first and every time and will even get irritated if I can't locate them.

klein-74007_700x700.png

Like anything else, you eventually develop a 'feel' for something after doing it a million plus times and I much prefer to strip wires by feel. Especially try when you're dealing with a variety of gauges and insulation thicknesses on the same project. Ideally you only score the insulation sufficient to pull it and break it away from the copper without nicking or cutting the copper in the process. Most of the time you can really only accomplish this by feel. If you need to strip 200+ ends of the same wire then by all means use a preset stripper set to the right depth. Saves time. But that's not usually the case for me. It's too easy to sever strands and weaken the point where you've cut, or much worse if it's solid copper and any small nick is all you need to seriously weaken the wire at that point where it needs to hold up under fatigue, right at the attachment. (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account