12v conversion question

I know it’s been covered a few times…I’m trying to follow a how-to in the wiki, just want some clarification before I move on

Wiki article

95151687-63E2-48B3-9D8C-FC58E0C07D83.png

The wiki has 2 yellow wires from coil, the regulator/rectifier has a yellow and a pink for coil connections….I’m assuming I need to connect a yellow to yellow, and a pink to yellow?

Gonna have a battery and terminal block for other wiring, so no concerns (yet) on the other 2 leads

Does that sound/look right?

Re: 12v conversion question

The wire colors will, of course, depend on your bike's make, model, whether or not it has been rewired, etc. Do not assume that it has two yellow wires coming from the stator.

Skip Allen /

> Brian F wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The wire colors will, of course, depend on your bike's make, model,

> whether or not it has been rewired, etc. Do not assume that it has two

> yellow wires coming from the stator.

Yeah, I get that. The wiki has a new coil with a yellow wire (just like my new coil) and it instructs me to add another yellow wire…2 yellows coming from coil going to wiring harness. I just wanted to make sure each of those are supposed to connect to the different leads on reg/rec. I’m pretty sure that’s what needs to happen, just wanted to make sure before I let smoke out of something

Ah, got it.

Can you provide a link to the rectifier you bought?

Word to the wise, be careful w/ the super cheapo reg/rectifier. Often times they’re half wave, not that sweet full wave trail tech realness

True.

And to the OP, in general you have the right idea. What you are describing is often referred to here as a "floated" lighting coil, and assuming your rectifier is not designed to have its input "ground" referenced, that should work fine.

I assume that the note "connect to the white wire of magneto" on the amazon image you posted refers to the other end of the lighting coil.

Not that there's anything fundamentally wrong with a half-wave rectifier; many bikes use them. They are cheap (just a diode!) and have a lower voltage drop compared to a full-bridge rectifier.

In most cases, though, using both halves of the wave is worth the extra cost in voltage drop and having four whole diodes instead of one.

Skip Allen /

> Brian F wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ah, got it.

>

> Can you provide a link to the rectifier you bought?

Cheap reg/rec

Yeah, I went cheap. Reviews seemed favorable for a moped type project….so $15 compared to $50, fuck it, I’ll try it.

I have that regulator/rectifier on all my bikes. They work well even if they are half wave.

8BCCB9E1-89A7-4915-86A6-66D43328760C.jpeg

Skip Allen /

Well hell, I think I’ve got myself a bit confused with this coil. I didn’t realize I had continuity between them (yellow wires). I was thinking the longer yellow was my power for lights, short yellow was to be grounded. That obviously won’t work. So based on the coil and rectifier I have pictured (from above post)…how the hell do I wire this?

Tie both yellows together to connect to yellow of rectifier, pink to coil core, that is ground, right?

06476FDB-7672-45CB-A081-FA711359164B.jpeg

Tying both yellows together will short out the coil. Don't do that.

You have a couple of choices:

1) Grounded lighting coil: use the ring terminal on the right side of the coil to connect it to frame "ground", connect the other yellow wire on the coil to the yellow wire on the regulator. Connect the white or pink wire on the regulator to frame "ground."

2) Floated lighting coil: connect the yellow wire on the coil to the yellow wire on the regulator. Connect the other yellow wire on the coil to the white or pink wire on the regulator.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account