Vespa piaggio ciao 1967

I have a 67’ ciao and I can’t figure out why the bike stalls out every time I come to a stop and the breaks are applied. If the bike is on the kickstand it will idle fine but back wheel continues to spin. Is the back wheel suppose to disengage? Same thing happens on the kickstand when breaks are applied the bike just dies. Another thing is when the bike is just starting it needs to be pedaled really fast to get going but once up to speed it will accelerate great on its own. After a stall out however I have to pedal really fast until the bike is up to speed again. Any ideas people???

Re: Vespa piaggio ciao 1967

Brake light bulb burned out.

Dirty30 Dillon /

100% the clutch is locked open. It's very common for this to occur if you leave out the spacer between the bell and the magneto.

If you can't spin the clutch bell freely by hand with the motor off, than the assembly needs servicing

Yeah probably the break bulb. there should be 2 wires to the tail light. the green is the power and the blue is for the brake switch which is usually on the hand grips but on my 1968 Ciao it was attached to a reverse plunger style brake switch down by where the rear brake wire passes through the frame. The brake switch is suppose to change the running light to the brighter brake light when activated. inspect and secure/ repair the wire connection. I am not a fan of brake switches (European models don't have them) I removed mine and grounded (attached) the blue wire to the motor. tail light become a running light and stays lite while the bike is running. If its that old of a bike you may want to take the motor, carb and muffler out disassemble, clean/inspect and reassemble.

Alex Hector /

Thank you for your response I don’t know why everyone keeps telling me it’s the brake light it is not. The tail light on this model is not controlled by the brakes at all the light is on at all times. If the bike is running so is the light. Could you elaborate a little more on what you are saying about the clutch as I believe that is my issue. Thanks!

Alex Hector /

The tail light is not controlled by the brake lever if the bike is running the light is on.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Alex Hector wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you for your response I don’t know why everyone keeps telling me

> it’s the brake light it is not. The tail light on this model is not

> controlled by the brakes at all the light is on at all times. If the

> bike is running so is the light. Could you elaborate a little more on

> what you are saying about the clutch as I believe that is my issue.

> Thanks!

If you remove the LH side cover to access the transmission side, you should be able to rotate your clutch bell by hand. Yes, it will move the bike forward and back a bit, but it should be easy. If turning that is difficult and when doing so the interior of the clutch spins as well, than you need to pull the clutch and service.

Your pads could be stuck to the bell, the spacer could be missing causing binding, the starter plate and clutch balls could be misaligned and binding.

There are a number of possible issues, mostly fixed simply. But until you troubleshoot it's hard to provide any more concrete advice as to the specific issue. Photos/Videos always help if you're lost.

> Alex Hector wrote:

> The tail light is not controlled by the brake lever if the bike is

> running the light is on.

The tail light isn't , but , the brake light might be . ;)

Dirty30 Dillon /

> P D wrote:

> > Alex Hector wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > The tail light is not controlled by the brake lever if the bike is

>

> > running the light is on.

>

> The tail light isn't , but , the brake light might be . ;)

Again, not the problem. There are no brake lights on this year Ciao. Simply a rear marker.

> Dirty30 Dillon wrote:

>

> Again, not the problem. There are no brake lights on this year Ciao.

> Simply a rear marker.

OK . ;)

My USA stock 1968 Piaggio Ciao with duel filament brake light/running light with under frame reverse plunger style brake switch. The switch did not work and cut the ground current every time I pulled my rear brake causing the motor to die. I removed it and ground the blue wire to the motor and it corrected the problem but no longer have a brake light, just running light.

1968-Vespa-Ciao-C9N1-USA-model (2021_06_19 16_28_43 UTC).jpg
IMG_1459 (2021_06_19 16_28_43 UTC) copy.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

Also great to note, but it's important to remember the bike doesn't only die when the brake is applied. He stated if the speed gets too low he needs to pedal or it will stall. And if the back wheel gets dropped off the stand it will stall. This all points to clutch issues, especially easy with the vespa SS trans'.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account