Project Chavocado NC50 chop

The time had come for my little Express to take on a new form. I bought it to chop up and I've been ripping it around as is but it's got low compression and a knocking in the head and it's bummer that it takes over 5 minutes to get it warm enough to ride.

So we're going to get the engine straight and maybe a light juicing up. From what I've read I'm thinking a 1.5mm base gasket and a new carb and pipe. Just want it to run better and keep up with my wife's Puch.

As far as the chop side, I'm using this as an excercise to give me something else to build other than motorcycles. Goals are to just have fun with it and use stuff that I've got. I have access to lots of fancy tools but I'd like to do this without it turning into some crazy project like most of my projects. KISS. Keep it simple stupid.

Here she is in all her original glory.

IMG_20210623_232405_232.jpg

Re: Project Chavocado NC50 chop

Dick Chavez /

Today I decided to take a little stance mock up. I decided some sort of fork extension would be nice and lowering the back near the fuel tank. Probaly make a strut to hold it at the proper height. I'm trying to avoid moving the engine back because I don't want to deal with the cables but if I don't like the stance I'll probably end up making some sort of plate to move the engine back and effectively extend the rear wheel back.

20210905_125208.jpg

Upon taking the forks apart I discovered I could easily get 2.125" from the stock forks but cutting the old spacer out and cutting new ones and moving them to the top of the fork along with the spring so extend the forks fully.

20210905_143208.jpg

There are downsides to this and it has to do with strength so don't your own risk. I imagine there will be some binding as well but only time will tell. Originally I had planned to weld in longer tubing but this was free and easy.

I also had my choice if aluminum or steel for the top spacer but I found that 3/4 pvc was the perfect diameter so due to ease this is what I did. I also added a 3/8 washer to each side to add a bit of strength to the ends as well as allow the bottoming bump stop to work still.

20210905_151849.jpg

That's all for today.

Dick Chavez /

Today I tried a bunch of different heights to see what looked good. Eventually I just let the oil. Pump hit the frame and that's what I liked.

20210912_093518.jpg

Cut the clevice mount off the bottom of the OEM shock, machine a bung for the top and used some 3/4" DOM to make a strut for the height I liked.

20210912_130539.jpg

While I was at it I cut the tanks mount away from the rack in back so I could re fit it to the bike at it's new lowered stance. I like the OEM tank but I don't like how. It lines up with the seat and it looks. Like cutting it open to make the oil and gas one tank is going to be too much work for whatnots worth, seems like the tank is leaking from a seam already so. I'm just going to. Make something from scratch.

20210912_144622.jpg

Dick Chavez /
20210914_212724.jpg

Little more work today. Started by taking a few inches out of the bars as well as the pull back.

20210914_212806.jpg

Then I cut the low hanging legs off and that helped expose the beauty of the engine instead of hiding it behind faded green plastic bits. I had some spoon pegs laying around so I mounted them up.

20210914_212750.jpg

I have a few little tweaks here and there before I pull the engine to get it fixed and build the fuel tank..

I just got a nc50 from a buddy as a winter project, I’m excited to see how this thing turns out.

Johnny Braaapp /

Mount a pinto tank on it. You can hide fuel line in the frame rail

Dick Chavez /

> Johnny Braaapp wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Mount a pinto tank on it. You can hide fuel line in the frame rail

That would be neat. I'm eaither making my own or modifying the OEM one to fit as a top tank. Leaning towards making my own.

Dick Chavez /

Keeping my flow tonight I moved onto turning the windup mechanism into a hand "shift". Looks cool but serves the same purpose as the foot one. If the spring breaks I'll put a kicker on.

20210915_223956.jpg

Made out of an old horse show and an old skateboard wheel that matches the paint.

20210915_223838.jpg

Dick Chavez /

The little Honda express chopper is coming together.

I picked up an old sportsman cooler and an old coca-cola crate last weekend and cut the crate to the demension I wanted to fit the beer cooler perfectly.

20210918_213540.jpg
20210918_213528.jpg

Also got to work building the fuel tank, I would normally calculate the capacity while planning what I was doing but as part of my have fun first and ask questions later excercise I started making and ended up with a 1/3 gallon tank. My town is only 1 square miles and all the roads leaving are 55mph so by time I run out of beer I'll have to return home to refill the gas and the cooler.

20210924_220016.jpg

I also have the parts on the way to hopefully fix it. New meteor piston kit, 1mm cylinder spacer, 15.15 sha, jet kit, slide, hobbit jammy pipe and that should solve my 90 psi of compression.

Kevin Bishop /

As reliable as those bikes are they don’t go very fast. Shaft driven with gears gets you to 25 quick and then that’s all. I never did any mods to mine just cleaned her up and sold it. I know you can get more with a pipe ~ 5 mph. Ditching the carb is a must, Honda makes it un-modifiable. I hope you have the later model 82 12v cdi. Not sure about the jammy but these bikes love a circuit pipe.

Good luck with the build.

Dick Chavez /

> Kevin Bishop wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> As reliable as those bikes are they don’t go very fast. Shaft driven

> with gears gets you to 25 quick and then that’s all. I never did any

> mods to mine just cleaned her up and sold it. I know you can get more

> with a pipe ~ 5 mph. Ditching the carb is a must, Honda makes it

> un-modifiable. I hope you have the later model 82 12v cdi. Not sure

> about the jammy but these bikes love a circuit pipe.

>

> Good luck with the build.

78, she is 6v with points. I'm not too much worried about really going crazy with the speed, I'd like to do 30 and I'm confident that these mods will get me there.

It's actually chain drive, I think the Yamaha qt is shaft drive, all the same though it's a single speed trans with a centrifugal clutch.

Thanks

Dick Chavez /
20211005_203656.jpg

Well I got the fuel tank mounted and decided to rip the top end off AFTER I already ordered parts.

Whoops

20211006_231355.jpg

I guess I'm going to be going a different direction. Treats doesn't have 44mm heads in stock so I might go stocko shocko with a 1mm base gasket spacer and a Puch head, maybe the stock in head if the puch doesn't work out.

I decided to clean the greasy girl up while I ponder what move to make next.

20211009_160714.jpg

(edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account