Why doesn't anyone use this type of light to set points?

Attached is a pic from the nc50 manual showing a little light device (have also seen them with buzzers that you use to determine when your points are opening/closing. Why aren't these used more often. I always see people mentioning using cigarette paper to check for when the points are opening. Wouldn't the light be more accurate?

Screenshot_20210827-172004_UB Reader.jpg

Re: Why doesn't anyone use this type of light to set points?

Timing lights are for the most part obsolete now. I use a old seat belt buzzer or you could use a standard multimeter. Anything that indicates continuity will work...

If you want accuracy - whatever method you use for static timing- finish the job off with a strobe light.

the map is not the territory!

points are for simple, simple children

People do use them, it's just more infrastructure than the average moped person wants to commit to.

Too much shit when you can do it by hand.

Just use the timing light that clips over the spark plug wire (inductive timing light) and has pos and neg battery clips. That will tell you EXACTLY when it's sparking.

Put chalk on your timing mark.

Probably Fred /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just use the timing light that clips over the spark plug wire (inductive

> timing light) and has pos and neg battery clips. That will tell you

> EXACTLY when it's sparking.

>

> Put chalk on your timing mark.

Yep you need to see timing marks under the light when points snap open at speed, around 5k rpm is ok, static timing or just idle rpm may be different then when you rev up

> Probably Fred Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Just use the timing light that clips over the spark plug wire

> (inductive

>

> > timing light) and has pos and neg battery clips. That will tell you

>

> > EXACTLY when it's sparking.

>

> >

>

> > Put chalk on your timing mark.

>

> Yep you need to see timing marks under the light when points snap open

> at speed, around 5k rpm is ok, static timing or just idle rpm may be

> different then when you rev up

This is what I do^^. The part that they forgot is that an inductive timing light will need 12 volts d.c. not 6. So you will have to power the light from a car battery with the clips and attach the inductive connector to the peds spark plug wire.

Beach Club Nick /

I do use these to set the timing and an inductive timing light to double check it

daan SJAARLOOS /

I use this system with an old ac doorbell transformer I had lying around. Starts buzzing when the points open. Works with any old phone charger too. Just solder some crocodile thingies on there

I have used a simple one-wire light to set the points on Solexes for many years:

mazdalamp.jpg
035.JPG

Brian that's super cool!

Back about 15 years ago Matt bengry made a thing called a 'bengry box' that could do this and also test your condenser. I got one of the version one boxes that had a few flaws, the only time it worked correctly was with a perfectly fresh 9v battery, and there was no off switch and it killed the battery if you didn't open it up and take it out. Version 2 worked better but I never dug into figuring out if I could make my v1 work better.

I always set my points just with the feeler gauge then check with the timing light. Over the years you get a feel for how the timing light 'looks' and you can easily diagnose common issues like dirty points or bad condenser by watching the light while you spin the flywheel with a drill and spark plug out.

I use this thing

IMG_9050.JPG

Pushrod Fifty /

I found that a buzzer is easier than a light for initial setting because I dont have to be looking at the light. I use the buzzer on my analog type meter. I have double checked with an inductive timing light and results have been the same.

surprised nobody's brought up the Peugeotest

tho that wasnt really for timing

Douglas Mackinnon /

I once used the buzzer circuit out of the board game “operation”

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account