Need appraisal of '78 Sears Free Spirit for bonding and title

Eli Jacobson /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Hello,

Hey all! I've been getting my old Free Spirit moped fixed up to ride it more, and now I am trying to get a title for it so I can ride it freely without fear of getting ticketed. Here in Illinois where I live you need an appraisal, then a bond, to get a title for a vehicle like this where there never was one, or it is no longer available.

Problem is I have gone to every local dealer, and some online ones, and no one will do this for me, given the age and uniqueness of the moped. Has anyone else out there had to work through this process to get a proper title for their moped, that can give me some pointers? Anyone out there qualified to provide me with this appraisal? If so, I can provide additional details and photos as necessary.

Thanks!

-Eli

My state requires:

2. A written appraisal of the current wholesale value of the vehicle from a licensed new or used vehicle dealer (including motorcycle, mobile home and trailer dealers), a licensed rebuilder (for salvage or junk vehicles only), or an officer of an antique vehicle club or association (for antique vehicles only). The appraisal also may be obtained from a used vehicle price guide, supported by copies of the front cover and pertinent pages of the guide.

NOTE: If you are a licensed Illinois dealer, you cannot perform your own appraisal.

Appraisals must come from disinterested, qualified parties. The affirmation of appraisal statement must contain the following:

• Description of the vehicle: year, make, model and vehicle identification number.

• Current wholesale value.

• Statement that the vehicle is intact and that all major component parts are present (check box if applicable), or statement that the appraisal applies to a salvage or junk vehicle (check box, if applicable).

• Statement that the appraisal value is accurate to the best of the appraiser's knowledge and that the affirmation is made under penalties of perjury.

• Signature and printed name of the appraiser.

• Firm name, address and dealer license number, or real estate license number, if applicable.

• Date of appraisal.

The process explanation can be found here:

Fact Sheet - Titles Obtained by Bond (cyberdriveillinois.com)

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/rtopr26.pdf

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account