Some days I just want to scream

A year ago I registered my 63 Mobylette AV88 here in Texas.

Jumped through all the hoops and now I have a clean Texas title and registration.

I wanted to get antique plates but none were available for Mopeds.

Yesterday I got a letter from the DMV telling me to get it inspected again because they don't know what it's worth.

So last year they took my money and registered it and now they won't????

What is in the water down in Austin?

Anyone have sales info for a 63 Wards Riverside or Mobylette AV88?

Cheers

John in Texas

20201013_160843.jpg

Re: Some days I just want to scream

Beach Club Nick /

They tax you on the value of the vehicle every year? That's fucking stupid

Start a for sale thread on here, and everyone will tell you they wouldn't pay more than $500 for it, that they got one for $150, that it's not rare, it's only mopeds, and not worth anything.

Then show the DMV what the moped "experts" think.

They'll probably give you a refund.

Toxic algae that kills dogs is in the water.... don't swim in Lady Bird Lake. It's easier to just get a Vermont registration than to deal with the state of Texas. Easy peasy no questions asked, insure it and your good to go. Don't even need to get a motorcycle endorsement anymore as long as it's 50cc and under.

i'll write you and official looking bill of sale

Tell em you spend more on it than its worth so they should pay u to ride it.

Totally normal JBOT /

You should scream.

I’ve been screaming everyday and I feel better then I have in a long long time. Scream therapy is real shit

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Does KBB still value mopeds? You could offer a print out from them maybe.

I feel your pain. Reality is the cruelest dream. Bought a dead 75 Sachs 505P for $150.00. The seller inherited the bike from his father who recently passed. The father ran a small engine shop in the country and ended up with this bike last registered in 1982. I was told all I had to do was sign a declaration and produce a bill of sale with no TOD (transfer of ownership document). I believe this is the Canadian equivalent of the U.S. pink slip. We have government run insurance with no competition...You can't make this up.... The insurance agent wanted me to contact the seller who had to document the ownership transfer from his deceased father. Apparently a will is not sufficient. The seller could then register the serial number for 15.00 and transfer the serial number to my name. Clearly not happening. Finally got the Sachs registered after wasting hours at three different insurance agents. Texas does not have a monopoly on stupid...It's everywhere. Happy trails!

75 Sachs Moppet.jpg

Eric Whatley /

1963 Montgomery Wards catalog they listed for $187.50.

John Ebert /

We moved here in 07. Every vehicle I registered cost me $90 in a "new to Texas" fee.

My Moby was originally sold here in 63 and they were trying to hit me with the $90 fee. I pointed out that the title from Iowa showed that it was originally sold here in Texas. They claimed that they couldn't find that document my reply was that wasn't my problem and I wasn't going to pay it.

John Ebert /

Thank you, that's the kind of info I needed.

John Ebert /

Where can I find that link? Like to print it out.

Zonie

> John Ebert Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Where can I find that link? Like to print it out.

>

> Zonie

Use the 'Quote' Button .

No one knows who you're responding to .

> John Ebert Wrote:

> What is in the water down in Austin?

mostly covid i think

Fuuuuuuuuck Texas, I loved the people and Austin was great but this 3rd world kleptocratic state govt bullshit is what made me leave. They have their whole state government set up to enrich bazillionaires and fuck over everyday people. It's basically the Mexico of states, I mean it used to be Mexico, and I think real Mexico has a more functional govt so that's not even fair to Mexico... Sorry. Texas is a shithole slave state, do the Vermont thing and tell them to pound sand.

I actually tried to go through Texas' appallingly obtuse moped process of title bond, VIN inspection, etc etc etc and after a 90 minute drive one way to an obscure locale only to be told I would have to drive another hour or two on a Thursday between 8 - 11am for said VIN inspection because there's ONE guy who does it and it's for 3 hours one day a week in different towns not close to here....well, I'm not even going to go into it, I just Vermonted the bike. $60, three photos and a form and a bill of sale ( no, a canceled check won't work - just write them one if ya have to ) I got my registration and a few days later, a pretty little green license plate. Just Vermont your bike and wait a year to transfer it to Texas. We have really good cattle here, but convoluted moped rules. But I have ridden many a sunny November day in a t shirt, so I'll just happily do so with a really pretty green plate on my bike. Year round mope enjoyment is to be h in the Lone Star state. So I'm adopting the "Stay Positive - Test Negative" MA slogan, here, and thanking Texas for Johnny and Edgar Winter, Janis, SRV, Freddie King, good horses, ZZ Top, Buddy Holly, Bob Wills, Leadbelly..... it goes on and on. It's a year round moped state, so I'll put a green plate on to do that. I lived in Mass / NH / in the 80s.

Not a year round '59 Pontiac starting climate......

daan SJAARLOOS /

Is that a black thong on your tool wall?

> John Ebert Wrote:

Every state charges fees somehow. In cali i pay a dollar extra per gallon, total f in scam. So besides normal reg fees an average cali driver pays 5-700 in state gas tax.

> -------------------------------------------------------

> We moved here in 07. Every vehicle I registered cost me $90 in a "new to

> Texas" fee.

>

> My Moby was originally sold here in 63 and they were trying to hit me

> with the $90 fee. I pointed out that the title from Iowa showed that it

> was originally sold here in Texas. They claimed that they couldn't find

> that document my reply was that wasn't my problem and I wasn't going to

> pay it.

John Ebert /

It's a back brace that helps with posture. Good eye.

John Ebert /

Well I got it done. The inspection cost me a whopping 25 cents. The tags cost me $53.00. They have a base fee plus a road and bridge fee for Hood county.

If I were tom use it all the time that would be OK, but fear and common sense tells me never to ride when there is any traffic. Around here the drivers are a bit nuts.

I will use mine for the tiddler ride at the Harvest Classic in Luckenbach and for getting around Davenport swap meet.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account