roadside emergency repairs

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Tips for mcgyvering to get home...

Discount card cut to repair broken reed. Thanks robk.

Drilling hole in bottom of a leaky float bowl so you can drain it. At the front so the float still fills at almost the same rate cause the bigger hole won't let the air out.

Tinfoil spark plug cap nub.

Any others?

Re: roadside emergency repairs

This really cute girl came up to me one time and asked for help with a flat tire.

I put her spare on for her.

If you are attractive enough, you can get other people to do almost anything for you.

Never met you/seen a picture Slew, so you’ll have to be your own judge about if that’s gonna work or not.

This also works if you are really old looking.

Spark plugs threads stripped out on a bike I had a while ago, and the plug popped out. It was a vertical morini M3 three speed, hand shift.

Screwed/jammed the plug back in, and wedged my shoe in between the frame and the plug to keep it smashed in there.

Made it home 6 miles.

Okay, not exacty moped, but the throttle cable snapped on my old VW.

I set the throttle stop/idle adjust as high as it would go.

Let the clutch out easy and managed to get up to 45 in 3rd gear going home that way.

Sounded really stupid at red lights with my engine roaring.

I suppose a moped carb could be done that way. I also suppose that, faced with broken throttle cable, there are a lot options on a bike that you don’t get with a car. Especially if the break is anywhere but the slide end.

A good leather belt can be used to hold a flywheel in place, or strap something on the bike that may have fallen off.

Using a strand from a brake cable end to clean out a clogged carb is probably my favorite tho.

I thought I was the only one to ever do this. I guess not....lol.

>

> Using a strand from a brake cable end to clean out a clogged carb is

> probably my favorite tho.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

In my to roadkit is a old time match pack rolling papers and a cellophane wrapped minty toothpick...

Larry Picarello /

Road testing a too fast moped without brakes using construction boots & the on/off switch

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I thought I was the only one to ever do this. I guess not....lol.

>

> >

>

> > Using a strand from a brake cable end to clean out a clogged carb is probably my favorite tho.

I thought every one did this. Ha!

Adam Rosenow /

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> > Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I thought I was the only one to ever do this. I guess not....lol.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Using a strand from a brake cable end to clean out a clogged carb is

> probably my favorite tho.

>

> I thought every one did this. Ha!

So did i!? 🤣

Pro tip: filling a 2-stroke oil bottle with premix fuel and stashing it somewhere (i like under seat compartments) for long rides, just in case.

Don't leave it there forever, because the bottle will stress from the fumes, but when in doubt this can save your ass! The little bottles from Walmart (3.2oz) can get you to a gas station, and are small enough to be well worth the real estate.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Pantyhose can be used like a half assed belt on nonvariated bikes.

Copper electrical wire strands to use as masterlink clip.

Broomstick to hold rear tire to remove flywheel nut w o piston stop.

Jamming a sparkwire right into plug w o cap.

Dumping a 10th of a tank of watrrladen ethanol out of the bottom of the inframe tank. This happens usually whenvraining for days

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Oh to override the bulb out safety thing off a non puch Bosch ht. Cross brake sensor so it's always on.

3.5 ft of copperwire can be used to fake resistor.

I used to get bmx plus magazine when I was a kid and they always had the coolest tips and tricks section. I used alot of them. One time when I was older I was on mountain bike trip and I got a flat tire. I usually kept a spare tube in my little seat pouch but i had used it the week before so i was screwed. I remembered a trick from bmx plus and made it home. You pull the tire half off start stuffing leaves or ferns or anything you can in there and toss the tire back on and use zip ties or I used electrical tape and wrap the shit out of the tire around the rim. Worked so good. Got me out of a logging trail 5 miles in the woods. This one isnt really a road side repair but a cool hack. So when installing new cables you always try and cut them so they wont Frey. I always wrap with a little tape cut them off and then take an old bicycle spoke nipple and crimp it on the end. Looks like one of these nice fancy cable end things. (edited)

Adam Rosenow /

I broke a clip on my carb once on a motorcycle that held on the arm that my throttle cable attached to. I was on the highway and i couldn't decelerate (scary at 80mph and climbing), i pulled into an off ramp and killed the motor, shifted to neutral with it off so it didn't explode at high rpm, and parked at the top of the ramp. After realizing what had happened (again, clip broke) i found a piece of street sweeper brush wire that was right there and used that to pin the arm together where the clip went. Never actually replaced the clip because the wire did the job so well!

I had another shifty that broke the clamp on the clutch lever, leaving it dangling from the bars, and no way to shift.

Got some Krazy Glue from the liquor store, glued the lever and busted clamp to the bars, had a smoke while it dried, and made it home, at least 10 mile ride.

Then forgot about it. About two years later I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get my clutch lever off when I was changing the bars...

Another inner tube fix I used on a bicycle a long time ago when I was stranded at the beach, 14 miles from home, was stealing a roll of duct tape out of the back of a pickup truck, slide the tube out of the tire while still on the bike, wrapped the inflated tube super tight with duct tape where the hole was and filled it up at the gas station.

It made a noticeable hop while riding, but it was a bicycle, and it got me home.

Another running out of gas trick, is find a gardener and bum some fuel off them. In southern California, gardeners are everywhere, year round.

Bubble gum will plug a pinhole fuel leak, or a seam split, or at least keep it from spraying out. Might have to use the whole pack of gum, depending on how far you have to go.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> Okay, not exacty moped, but the throttle cable snapped on my old VW.

>

> I set the throttle stop/idle adjust as high as it would go.

>

> Let the clutch out easy and managed to get up to 45 in 3rd gear going

> home that way.

>

> Sounded really stupid at red lights with my engine roaring.

>

> I suppose a moped carb could be done that way. I also suppose that,

> faced with broken throttle cable, there are a lot options on a bike that

> you don’t get with a car. Especially if the break is anywhere but the

> slide end.

The throttle decided to stick wide open on my '63 Comet one night, automatic. I drove the rest of the way home just turning the key off whenever I got going too fast.

Broke the grip side knarp off the throttle cable on my Kinetic one night. I pulled the cable out of the housing and kind of tied it around my leg so I could work the slide that way.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

I lost a shock bolt on my Moby when I was dropping a rent check off at the office like 8miles from my apartment when I was in college. I found a stick on the side of the road and jammed that in there then ride home standing on the buddy pegs that were mounted to the rear axle.

I rode my Hercules to work exactly once. It was just over 20 miles 1 way. On my way home just before 9pm I blew my headlight (sealed). Stopped at the auto parts store up the road from my office, bought a flashlight, and taped that to the bars. As I was pulling out of the parking lot my throttle cable snapped at the twist grip. I pulled the split ring off my keys and tied the cable to the ring and rode home with essentially no lights and a hand pull throttle.

Simon Belmont /

One time I was riding my Tomos and the throttle cable snapped at the point where it goes into the throttle on the handle bar, since there was no way to manually pull on throttle with just your fingers, used my *edc tool *leatherman squirt to grab one end of the cable and wrap it a few times around the tool which made the use of throttle doable, worked fine for a short trip.

*edc = every day carry

*leatherman squirt = tiny quality plier multitool (edited)

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I've redone a launch lever to be a throttle and a pullstart handle/stick for the launch on a Sachs.

I have jammed a batclutch just to get home.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account