Vespa grande reallllly hard to start

So I just bought a Vespa grande. It purrs like a kitten when it’s running but I’m having a heck of a time getting it to start. Any thoughts? I put in a new spark plug and new gas. Again super tough to start. Thanks for any tips .

Re: Vespa grande reallllly hard to start

What makes it hard to start? Do the starter shoes engage, or are they slipping? If they aren't slipping, are you using the decompression?

Terbo Speghetti /

Do you squeeze the lever on the left when you're starting? If you are and it's that hard to start, it could be that the decompression cable is disconnected or otherwise discombobulated.

Follow the cable from the front of the engine (next to the spark plug) to your handlebars. Make sure it's ok looking. Then make sure that the little plunger next to your spark plug moves when you squeeze the handle on the other end of that cable.

If it's not moving when you squeeze, something is disconnected or broken along that cable

Matt Grantonic /

When you say hard to start or hard to crank? If its cranking but not starting then its an engine problem. If its not cranking the engine over that would take you to the starting clutch slipping for some reason.

If its cranking....

1) Are you using the choke? Mine actually needs zero choke.

2) Weak spark, perhaps dirty points? Those are a pain to get to.

3) Carb issues? Air leaks that are common with that carb setup will rear their head when engine rotation is slow, like starting.

Weak ignition will also be more apparent when starting.

In not crank then the starting clutch system is most likely the culprit

1) Are you using the decomp lever?

2) Clutch shoes covered with oil?

3) Clutch shoes worn?

4) Clutch mechanism faulty/damaged?

Mine slips quite a bit, I think its a sorta weak system. You can try taking sandpaper to the inside of the drum that it contacts to give it more bite.

You can also just clean the shoes with brake cleaner, very caustic so wear gloves.

Hope this helps

We have a Grande that's hard to peddle, even fully d-comped. It's been rebuilt/changed around, but this is always a thing for us too.

> Brit Wilkens Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> We have a Grande that's hard to peddle, even fully d-comped.

^^Very true, its hard to hawk a decomposed grande on any corner.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account