Moped Rodeo: week-long European moped rides

I just added a couple of European moped events to the calendar at the request of the organizer. Has anyone here ever taken part in these Moped Rodeo rides? They go through multiple counties and, spanning 7 days and more than 1000km.

https://www.backroadclub.com/moped-rodeo.1205.html

Moped Rodeo Austria

19. - 25. June 2021

Europe/ Austria, Slovenia, Italy, Germany

Moped Rodeo Balkan

04. - 10. Sep. 2021

Europe/ Austria, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Italy

Re: Moped Rodeo: week-long European moped rides

daan SJAARLOOS /

Never heard of those but they look pretty tempting...

Oh man that's amazing! Added to the bucket list for sure, haha.

Do any of you europeans know: if you had legal plates and insurance on a USA 'moped' with kit, pipe, etc. could you ride it in EU?

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

this is tight

Ive always dreamed of doing an international long-distance adventure

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Do any of you europeans know: if you had legal plates and insurance on a

> USA 'moped' with kit, pipe, etc. could you ride it in EU?

For European bikes i believe your able to ride em for three months without getting a proper plate. There are probably not many rules for American mopeds, but if it's fast they'll destroy it anyway. You can't ride fast mopeds in Europe and not get hassled by the police.

I know in France, if you bring a UK vehicle over, you have 6 months on UK plates before needing to register on to French plates.

I remember the guy who painted my old MK1 Golf/Rabbit won "20 of the best" and Meguiers shipped his pea green MK1 TDI over to the SEMA show in Las Vegas. He was allowed to drive around on UK plates and insurance in the US.

Another VW guy called Jamie Orr imports UK sourced VW's to the US and regularly runs them with the UK plate.

So, I don't see why, if your insurance will fully cover you, that couldn't bring something over to rip.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

that is one difference that concerns me between US and EU

the EU is fairly harsh on modified mopeds, at least in German/Dutch areas and Spain as well.

The US the cop will watch you pass him on the freeway and just make sure its registered and send you on your way

campeona del mundo /

in germany i got arrested for riding a ciao in the first 10km of my cross country trip. not really a fun place to do mopeds. i can't really imagine going from country to country and dealing with the laws in each place. ask henry favre, he was able to pull it off.

if i were to do it, definitely keep everything stock and get ready for a slooooow ride.

Overpriced Parts /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> > Graham Motzing Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Do any of you europeans know: if you had legal plates and insurance on

> a

>

> > USA 'moped' with kit, pipe, etc. could you ride it in EU?

>

> For European bikes i believe your able to ride em for three months

> without getting a proper plate. There are probably not many rules for

> American mopeds, but if it's fast they'll destroy it anyway. You can't

> ride fast mopeds in Europe and not get hassled by the police.

Yeah with this new regime we’re only a few years away from your suckhole euro regime that you guys dealt with for years, Feel sorry for you!

If or When it gets completely like that I’ll sell off My bikes and buy a 38+foot twin screw boat and cruise the great Lakes and the Intercoastal waterways

Or buy into a Protected 250,000 acre compound and run Enduro bikes/hair scramble type bikes, I will never give into this liberal Nutcase bullshit that makes things 100xtimes worse than it ever was!

If this all comes to pass talk to me on ham radio in a few years, my handle will be spookytooth KTH___ Numbers will be told later after all the lying cheating politicians battle it out!

Moving to Europe late this year. Guess I won't need to ship my go fast parts collection with me.

Virginia,USA is pretty brutal towards your wallet if you get caught going to fast, the tickets total close to $600 if you get them all. Enforcement is not strict though. I was Unlucky and hunted by motorcycle police who knew all the laws... But some places in the EU will impound after they check your engine parts right? Can you register+title a "moped" as a motorcycle over there?

I never got to ride my moped here in Germany because the bill of sale is not adequate proof of ownership.

Machines must be legal for this tour anyways.

Funny thing is, in Germany at least, the tag for mopeds isn’t issued by vehicle registration. It is given to you by the insurance company. At least such is what I have been told.

The police will know about events like this in advance and set up huge checkpoints to screen vehicles and drivers.

Before you get bent out of shape about that, remember that breaking laws is wrong. Allowing fast mopeds endangers the adolescent riders which can get a license for these things. Adults that want to play with making them fast are accepting the risk of danger and legal consequences.

I was actually thinking about buying a cheap moped just to do this ride.

Then... I saw the 350€ registration fee!

A rally pack of t-shirt, mug, and map for over $400. Maybe I could just crash the party?

Yeah maybe if you register it as a motorcycle... It's just weird, like whether the plate is a us motorcycle plate or a us moped plate it don't mean anything to them so how can they do that? Who knows, it wouldn't take much to register it as a motorcycle in the u.s.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Send me I will win by wearing a Wiley coyote type back pack and a traffic grapple...

And the secret weapon potato on a long pointed stick with a cup for potato making said look simular to a polo mallet then using jet pack catch up to ped slam potato into pipe pass gain at least a minute...

But then there's the added weight.mmmnnevermine

50 potatoes + fuel I would have to get a jockey...

daan SJAARLOOS /

I think most people exaggerate the consequences of riding a fast moped in Europe a bit. Yes for instance Holland is pretty strict and nasty when you're caught but the chances of getting caught are not that big. Normal cops driving around won't pull you over unless you're really fast, stupid loud or ride like a lunatic. They do organize special controls where they specifically target mopeds. Those are the ones to avoid. A lot of other countries in Europe especially the southern ones don't seem to care much about mopeds or their speed in my experience.

/\ this. France don't give a flip about mopeds. So many modern shifty fifties with 14 year old riders, that are nearly double the stock speed.

Just found "red bull alpenbrevet" videos on YouTube, one day 100km+ event heading into the Swiss Alps, looks like one year they did the Furka pass. This year its happening on the same day as my birthday, man I'd love to do that🤔.

i got a $1250 dollar ticket on the last bakers dozen for the usual crosscountry racing bullshit. i went to traffic court & got it reduced to $160.

i’m also banned from mississippi for doing the same shit on the first bakers dozen. i never paid or fought that ticket & got bench warranted. whatever mississippi doesn’t have much for me anyways.

never been arrested tho. getting arrested would super suck

> daan SJAARLOOS Wrote:

> I think most people exaggerate the consequences of riding a fast

> moped in Europe a bit. Yes for instance Holland is pretty strict and

> nasty when you're caught but the chances of getting caught are not that

> big. Normal cops driving around won't pull you over unless you're really

> fast, stupid loud or ride like a lunatic. They do organize special

> controls where they specifically target mopeds. Those are the ones to

> avoid. A lot of other countries in Europe especially the southern ones

> don't seem to care much about mopeds or their speed in my experience.

Would 100% agree with this statement. When travelling by ped you generally don't get much trouble. The rules in the Netherlands are quite strict, but police checks mainly focus on schoolgoing teens and city centers around specific times of day. Chances of actually getting stopped and fined I would agree aren't huge given the circumstances.

In other European countries I too would be even less worried.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> > Bas Autowas Wrote:

>

>

> > > Graham Motzing Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Do any of you europeans know: if you had legal plates and insurance

> on

>

> > a

>

> >

>

> > > USA 'moped' with kit, pipe, etc. could you ride it in EU?

>

> >

>

> > For European bikes i believe your able to ride em for three months

>

> > without getting a proper plate. There are probably not many rules for

>

> > American mopeds, but if it's fast they'll destroy it anyway. You can't

>

> > ride fast mopeds in Europe and not get hassled by the police.

>

> Yeah with this new regime we’re only a few years away from your suckhole

> euro regime that you guys dealt with for years, Feel sorry for you!

>

Man I hope the suckhole euro regime hurries up and takes over the US, then maybe the crippling student debt will go away and I'll get free healthcare.

Once I rented a 40kph kymco scooter in Germany and rode over 1000km in a weekend. Actually almos like exactly 5 years ago, it was Easter weekend (4day weekend)

> Roy De Koe Wrote:

> > daan SJAARLOOS Wrote:

>

> When travelling by ped you

> generally don't get much trouble. The rules in the Netherlands are quite

> strict, but police checks mainly focus on schoolgoing teens and city

> centers around specific times of day. Chances of actually getting

> stopped and fined I would agree aren't huge given the circumstances.

I live next to the city center in-between about 4 high schools, so it's still quite a hassle here. It is true that as long as you avoid those checks the chances of getting caught are pretty slim. (edited)

Sounds like a roughing it deal, no chase cars, service vehicles but all interview footage is in cars ( staying warm, weathers rough) and drinking lotsa hot tea.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> I live next to the city center in-between about 4 high schools

Dat moet je ook gewoon niet doen jonge ;)

We kunnen helaas niet allemaal in het pittoreske Nieuwleusn wonen ;) lopend naar het centrum kunnen heeft gelukkig ook zo zijn voordelen.

daan SJAARLOOS /

Zwolle is ook geen New York he bas.. ;)... Anyhoo leuk dat er ook wat mede nederlanderts op dit forum zitten tegenwoordig. Vroegah was ik de enige zo'n beetje volgens mij

> daan SJAARLOOS Wrote:

> Zwolle is ook geen New York he bas.. ;)... Anyhoo leuk dat er ook wat

> mede nederlanderts op dit forum zitten tegenwoordig. Vroegah was ik de

> enige zo'n beetje volgens mij

Ik weet niet hoe vroegah vroegah is. Maar ik zag net dat mijn eerste post hier inmiddels oud genoeg is om zijn bromfiets rijbewijs te mogen halen...

daan SJAARLOOS /

Dan zijn we van dezelfde datum ongeveer. Mijn oude account is foetsie maar ik denk zo rond 2005/6...pffff ik word oud

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account