Hello, new kid here!

Quinten Hollering /

This is my 2008 Tomos Quadro, that I'm gonna turn into a cafe racer of sorts. It's my daily and so I plan on keeping it mechanically stock, especially since Dutch law enforcement does not take kindly to modified mopeds lol.

For now I have a question regarding my throttle. I recently got this lower handlebar, that's a bit if a tight fit for a 22mm diameter. I already filed and sanded the inside of the throttle tube, but it still sticks. Any ideas on what I could do to fix that? Thanks!

154922522_114304414010828_6971798133495400115_o.jpg

Re: Hello, new kid here!

get proper 7/8s handlebars that actually fit your throttle. I wouldn't consider continuing to "modify" your throttle. A throttle is a part of your bike you really want to work correctly. You should also make sure to trim your cables properly for the lower bars if you want your brakes to function correctly.

A regular poster here recently made this video that will be helpful for you

Quinten Hollering /

Thanks, I'll look into finding a new one then. I believe it's actually the bars that are a tad bigger than they're supposed to be but I'll see. I even got a new throttle handle (OEM replacement) to go with the new bars. Also thanks, I did shorten my cables since taking that pic, I was just eager to take it for a spin after having installed my new handlebars. Stops beautifully now.

Als je een laag stuurtje wilt hebben heb ik er misschien nog wel 1 liggen, zal straks even kijken.

Quinten Hollering /

Ik heb hem er in die foto al op zitten :p

> Quinten Hollering Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ik heb hem er in die foto al op zitten :p

But the diameter is too large, so get one that is the right diameter from Bas

Quinten Hollering /

I actually checked just now and if my calipers are to be believed it was the throttle tube that was too small, not the bars that were too big. It's just as bad on the stock bars as on the new one. I'd love to reuse the old tube, but it needed replacing for a reason lmao. I think getting a new (proper 22 mm) throttle tube would be the easiest and most budget friendly solution. (edited)

You must have tried a bit of lube by now ?

Quinten Hollering /

I have,, and it didn't make a noticeable difference.

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

22mm is pretty close to 7/8", with 7/8" being slightly larger at 22.23mm.

The bars are probably the right size and the discrepancy might just be a measuring error.

If the throttle assembly is new, it probably doesn't need cleaning but it wouldn't hurt to redo the whole process to make sure everything is routed and clamped correctly.

When apart, make sure each piece moves well on its own. Turn the throttle tube around the bar to make sure it spins freely. Tighten down the clamp to make sure it fits well, if it doesn't, slide a shim in there. Pull the cable through the housing repeatedly to make sure it moves freely. Pull the cable with it attached to the carb but not the throttle assembly to make sure the spring in the carb spring isnt sticking. If each individual piece works, then you're doing something weird with the installation.

Tweaker trash /

> Quinten Hollering Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have,, and it didn't make a noticeable difference.

Is your throttle tube capped on the end?

Sometimes you can push the throttle tube down to far the Cap grabs the end the bar. Or if the throttle tube isn’t caped the hand grip can actually grab the bar end also.

Quinten Hollering /

It's not capped, and I made sure it doesn't rub. Even without the grip on it's still a lot of friction.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account