Question for NJ riders (if close to Cape May, even better)

I'm going out to Cape May and debating whether to bring my electric moped out there for some cruising. It has no plates or pedals and curious how NJPD treat unregistered vehicles and/or electric vehicles.

I know it might be risky business. Looking into getting all the paperwork done soon, maybe.. hopefully. Thanks.

Re: Question for NJ riders (if close to Cape May, even better)

Jason - I don’t believe you need to register electric mopeds/scooters in NJ. Do some googling but when I did that’s what I was finding.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicletopics/mopedatv.htm

This was the reason I was under the impression it was...

> Jason Chang Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicletopics/mopedatv.htm

>

> This was the reason I was under the impression it was...

Yeah like most states, electric motor is still a moped. Some states have separate e-bike laws but not many. As the link you posted says:

"A motorized bicycle (moped) is defined by law as a pedal bicycle with a helper motor, electric or gas-powered, capable of a maximum speed of no more than 25 miles per hour on a flat surface. A moped has a maximum displacement of less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc)(no more than 1.5 brake horsepower)."

Beyond the laws though, what I'm wondering if about the general response from law enforcement policing. I have an electric noped if we want to get technical and I don't think I'll ride more than 1-2 occasions, less than 30 mins each time but the last thing I want is a ticket or confiscation of my bike while on vacation.

Yeah, saw the same but because my bike has no pedals, I'm not sure it quite fits.

Yeah, saw the same but because my bike has no pedals, I'm not sure it quite fits. So it's really a matter if cops will try to give me trouble.

So it's really a matter if cops will try to give me trouble.

I guess just be smart when driving around. I don’t see any registered ebikes zipping around Asbury Park by the beach near me.

Why not register the bike . Be completely legal and no more worries .

Seems pretty simple , to me .

Dirty30 Dillon /

The law is straight forward.

If you're looking for advice:

If you're worried about getting pulled over, don't bring it.

If it were me? I would ride it and if they pull you over just explain... or run. yolo.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account