Is this too big (exhaust port)

Karlo Maric /

I was porting the cylinder and got a little caried away so im wondering did I messed the cylinder up. Port is 35 mm wide on a 39.5 mm cylinder and i think the exhaust port is 196 degrees

Screenshot_20210222-184022_Gallery.jpg

Re: Is this too big (exhaust port)

yup, 100% too big. 70% of the bore at most for ring life

Karlo Maric /
mara OP

Well damn, I guess its time for a new one, thanks for the answer

You will snag for sure.

If you’re handy you could add in a bridge.

I’ve done that

Next time mark your ring locations on your cyl so you dont go too far if you are trying to push it as far as possible.

Any of you guys every run glow fuel model engines?

Familiar with the ABC engines?

If those little engines make crazy power/displacement and run rpms to the moon with ringless pistons, I wonder why we can’t do a cylinder/piston like that in a racing moped build.

No help here. Just thinking out loud.

yeah

add a vertical bridge.

nothing to lose now.

i think exhaust port width should only be 60% of cylinder bore diameter.

Now that I gave it a little thought, is there any reason a person couldn’t get a slight over bore size piston and lap it into a perfect fit?

Rings are a gas check of convenience. Easy to fit, easy to replace. Allows “sloppy” piston fit and mismatched thermal expansion to keep manufacturing cost low.

But you dont need them.

A perfect piston and bore would be one that the piston swells perfectly into the cylinder at op temp. Full contact would allow much better heat dissipation.

Frow in a couple em oil retaining dimples.

Surely this isn’t so labor intensive that nobody has ever tried it. Exhaust port could be almost 360* and the ringless piston wouldn’t care.

I know it is much easier on a 25cc engine. But if the model airplane engines have them and run 20K+rpm, it could be worth a try.

Probably Fred /

You can’t have full contact piston to cylinder you need a gas oil cushion for piston to ride on on a two cycle gasoline engine but other than some of what you say could could work

But only a small a small bore engine that’s basically a diesel two-stroke that runs very narrow powerband @ 20k rpm and don’t have a ton of torque and the fuel would need to be very thick with oil sort of acting like a ring/rings, The service life wouldn't be very long either

Tweaker trash /

I wanna start brazing too

I mean you can always try to run it and see what happens.

Yessss! Throw it on there and see?

Tweaker trash /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I mean you can always try to run it and see what happens.

I bet it last about a week and he’ll snag going down a hill

Quick search,https://getrevinrc.com/nitro-rc-engines/

2.74 cc motor produces 1hp? damn. These rc nitro motors 2 stroke motors have us way beat.

rc tech why cant transfer to mopeds? pumper carb, knife edge conrod, turbo crank induction(rizatto), sleaved cylinders that drop in(they look like brass with a nicasil lining, high tower super cooling heads, tuned exhaust, high flow intakes and exhausts manifolds...

The problem is that they don't scale, same reason a 1.5l F1 v6 can run 15,000 rpm and a 5 liter american V8 can't. In order to support the forces the components would have to get bigger and heavier and eventually it's a point of diminishing returns.

Also the funny thing about horsepower, if you are making 1 hp at 20,000 rpm, you are making .2 lb-ft of torque, by the time you convert that to anything useable in human scale, the gears or whatever method you use to convert it adds so much drag and inertia it goes to nothing

Dont think it has to do with size, a v8 can be made to go xxx rpm just as well. Were talking competition seeking peak performance within a set limit type of motor, type of race, type of vehicle which is a reflection of audiences preferences. Both are design for peak performance, accelleration vs wot endurance fuel consumption. Theres tons of restrictions placed on f1/v8 or any type racing, rules placed to increase competitiveness, safety and speed.

So, regarding torque and hp i give up, way too complicated but those 3cc rc trucks do 60 quick and a 50cc 1hp moped does 19 slow. Sounds just about right considering size n weight.

there is something called mean piston speed that is a limit for RPM and it really all comes down to stroke length.

They say fast stuff is like 20-25m/s (they being this wikipedia article that i read.)

Only REALLY fast motors (top fuel and F1 stuff) really move faster then ~25m/s.

from some real brief calculations, a puch spinning 12K is moving at 17.2 m/s. I'd say that's pretty badass.

anyways, heres the wiki link!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_piston_speed

too lazy to look up but exactly my point, now how big is a top one drag motor?

i don’t think that you get it.

it’s not so much about displacement as how long the stroke is.

here’s another link you probably won’t read.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_engines#Operation

Papa. Off topic. I fly RC planes and helo, Have a box of motores if intrested.

> LSLB RXb Wrote:

> i don’t think that you get it.

>

> it’s not so much about displacement as how long the stroke is.

>

> here’s another link you probably won’t read.

>

> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_engines#Operation

finally got around to reading the first one,all about piston speed, what a trip that funny cars have a 2.4 over, thats why they only rev 9000 but that piston is flying. My argument is theres gotta be some good 2 stroke stuff to gain from rc tech, maybe the parabolic cone shape or the knife edge conrod.

> Rob Healy Wrote:

> Papa. Off topic. I fly RC planes and helo, Have a box of motores if

> intrested.

Yeah. Thanks.

I built and flew planes from the age of 11-25. Sold my stuff off when I had kids and got poor.

Trying to get my kids into the hobby, but the FPV drones are the “cool” thing now. My oldest son wants to build a model plane and I could use an engine for that.

I wanted to just convert a weed eater engine for a big model. However, I really miss the sound and smell of nitro rc. WAY better than gas 2T and way more addictive.

Shoot me a PM with what you’d be willing to part with. Also, I’m getting ready to move to the lawless southwest. I can probably get away with flying crystal oscillator radio. If you have any dinosaur tx/rx sets, I’d like to teach him about that as well.

Wait, crystal oscillator radios are illegal now? I thought people just moved up to ghz I diddnt think it was poopooed on.

Still have my old 10 channel futaba stuff around here somewhere. Was really into the early days of electric building micro stuff with magnet and wire servos.

I don’t think they are illegal. Just think that clubs want everyone on digital or whatever the new stuff is to keep channel spacing and prevent interference. AM/FM would only allow a certain number of fliers at once and anyone could transmit and crash you.

The new radios are spread spectrum and have PCM. Seems like I went to a fun fly somewhere once and all old radios were banned.

Literally the same comparison as using a ham radio for personal communication instead of a cell phone.

Man...we use to solve that problem by having a tx check in. I wonder why it would matter, the analog stuff wouldn't interfere with the digital...huh

Man I remember paying $60 each for hitec micro servos and the cheapest brushless motors were $120. Nihm battery's for the win! Crazy how times give changed.

Been looking into getting one of the cheap wltoys 4ch cessna's to muck around with.

We are taking this thread so far off topic...

Buuut,

Yeah, check-in works. With the new stuff, it isn’t an issue at all.

It blows my mind that my kid got an FPV drone, with headset and everything, for $60. It has flight computers, does stunts, super stable, can takeoff and land on it’s own. Watching it (yourself) fly around in the built in camera is really cool.

Yet, somehow, a 4CH rc plane is still $150 for a styrofoam park flyer.

TOP GUN™ ANDY ⚔ (LSLB) ⚔ /

damn thanks for the reading riggy!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account