High Flow

I just attached a high flow air filter (cut coffee filter to be exact) to my FA50 and I gained a decent amount of accelaration and hill climbing ability. BUT my top speed dropped about 4 mph. Does anyone know how I can put my top speed back up without ruining my acceleration?

-Robin

Re: High Flow

Ron Brown /

Robin,

After any change to the air flow, do a plug chop. Failure to do this can lead to a siezed engine.

You should also do a plug chop with the original system so you know what you have done.

What kind of filter flows less than a coffee filter?

Do you have some kind of a screen to keep pieces of paper filter from being sucked into the engine?

Ron

I have piece of old window screen in front of the filter to keep the filter/filter pieces from getting sucked in.

Could you define 'plug chop' for me? I'm not as much as a gear head as I'd like to be.

Thank you

-Robin

Ron Brown /

Robin,

Read Fred's Guide under resources, articles.

btw, what did your old filter look like?

Ron

i read the article, thanks for referring me. The old filter was a polyeurethane foam element. I've talked to a few mechanics and they said that a coffee filter would be OK. They said that 2 strokes are much more hearty, air quality-wise, than 4 strokes. Also, do you know if the FA50 has a restrictor plate?

Today's Sponge

Hugh Jass /

I want fixing up an FA50 for a friend, and I found that a large dish sponge cut in the shape of the old foam element to fit that round airbox did the trick, and quite neatly, too.

I don't know if it flows as well as the foam (although the element that it was replacing disintegrated on touch, so I know it was an improvement there)

Bad Mechanics

well... the "mechanics" you talked to aren't worth the dirt under their fingernails

A paper coffee filter is way too weak and tearable... not to mention that if it gets wet they are even weaker.

(bits of paper can and will get sucked into the motor)

They are also wrong the 2 strokes are somehow tougher than 4 strokes... thats pure nonsense.

I have heard that auto parts stores sell a foam air filter material that you can cut and fit for your situation... (maybe even glue together with hot glue or something?)

You might try that.

The important thing is you do a plug chop with a fairly new spark plug to see if you are too lean... if it is... you are risking a seized (destroyed) top end on your motor... (piston and rings and bore) ... you do NOT want that to happen.

Thats about $100 to fix.

I have an FA50 and am working on it now... I will have some better info after a few days... (I haven't looked at my air filter yet.)

Be careful with those paper filters on there.

Re: Bad Mechanics

i just go to a motorcycle shop and get some uni filter foam. works great, and didn't change my mixture.

Ron Brown /

Robin,

I am with Fred and Toehead on this one. Unifilter foam is my favorite too.

It looks like Fred is about to become an expert on your ped, so I'll leave this to him.

Ron

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account