New Puch after searching for a few years.

I got this 1980 Maxi Sport today in N.C. It was a 10 hour drive. The guy was super nice but was not interested in wasting any time answering questions when I put the deposit down on it. It looked really bad then but I was more hopeful when I picked it up. I have had several different Puchs over the years as well as others.

This one has an S on it, not sure what that means. Also no switches on the handlebars. Are the missing? or is this one a stripped down model. Forks are broken but all in all it is complete. Funny thing it has such a deep cover dirt on it, when i wiped it with my finger the paint looks new. The chrome is only surface rust. And under 600 miles total.

I paid too much for it $450.00. However he showed me where he had over 50 interested parties. So far I have not had any luck locating parts for fork rebuild.

Before anything else the seat is perfectly dirty. How should I clean and treat it. thEre is not a crack on it anywhere now.

Can you get rebuild parts for the forks? I'm gonna make sure it runs prior to ordering any parts that dont help me prove that function. Comments?

Regards,

Rob (Stingerrray)

PXL_20210217_041906452.jpg
PXL_20210217_041851693.jpg
PXL_20210217_041940118.jpg

Re: New Puch after searching for a few years.

Treatland.tv

Forget the seat, that bike is clapped out, the seat might be the best part

Thanks for the help, Uh I think. The bike is exceptional. Before I start to clean it and get parts I will make sure it runs. More importantly I want to take good before pics tomorrow. It has under 600 miles and underneath all the grime it is really good.

Back to original questions, any idea why no kill switch. When I had Puchs as a kid and later they all had a kill switch and a Hi-Lo on the handlebars. This one has the Hi-Lo built to the top of the headlight. I found a pic of one similar but running and it was the same. Take a look.

Regards,

Rob

puch__maxi_s_1978_1_lgw.jpg

So after searching I have come to the conclusion that the MAXI S may have a decomp. Can anyone confirm?

Regards,

Rob

Whoa you're right that was a gem. That's a $1200 bike in CA

Here is a list of models and the relevant differences between versions. Cross reference this

https://myronsmopeds.com/2020/12/puch-models/

And treatland.tv is where you'll find the parts you need

You looked for a maxi for years? Lol, they're one of the most common mopeds next to Tomos. Maybe you just weren't looking hard enough.

Thanks Worm, Ive been there to treatland. I appreciate the link to help educate me on the versions. I'm 56 and had these Puch bikes new as a 13 year old child due to the fact they were legal to ride in Florida at any age at the time. No licenses or tags required. Or parents bought them for us. Then the laws changed after a couple of years and by 80 you needed a license and tag.

Not a bad idea really. Two of my buddys got killed on them. Not really for 12-13 year olds.

Regards,

Rob

As you well know, most are modified. And in Florida at least they are expensive. Really expensive. I did not care about the price so much as finding an unmodified one.

Regards,

Rob

Sundaymorningmotors.com has Puch stuff, most is used, but in good usable condition.

Thanks, Steven Keller. I will take a look. If it is not a decomp to kill the moped and due to the fact that there is no HILO light switch or kill switch on the handlebars. Like I said this looks like a stripped down model. Notice the cheap plastic gas cap. The Headlight housing is not a metal can like most I've seen its plastic. Maybe aftermarket however I was able to find a picture of the same setup on the picture a couple of posts down.

Maybe the lights do not go to hibeam? Perhaps the kill switch is ontop of the headlamp housing? If you look at my example photo of the other similar moped it has a dingaling bell vs a horn. I'll know soon enough.

Here is a pic of the top of the headlamp switch.

Regards,

Rob

PXL_20210217_064433349.jpg

I’ve never had a moped with a high beam in my life

Hmm, I thought it was a light horn switch with Low, Low on each side and High in the middle.

Regards,

Rob

It's pretty common for people to hardwire the headlight to always be on. That deletes the switch and some wiring. The horn circuit causes issues on puch's, so the horn usually gets bypassed and removed. I have a Maxi that had the kill switch mounted on the headlight. Also, there isn't a high beam for the factory headlight.

These mopeds are old. Lots of people have worked on them and "upgraded" them over the years.

I wouldn't bother with trying to straighten those forks out. They're pretty cheap to get used and around $100 for new forks.

This isn't a stripped down model, some redneck just fucked with it before. You're missing a LO off LO switch on the left (no high beam on these bikes) and a Killswitch on the right. The left lever is the clutch, no decomp

roots to wings /

If you zoom in on the wiring block, it looks like there are only 3 terminals, which may mean the previous owner hard wired it to run lights on all the time and used the clutch to kill the engine. You should have no problem finding forks for that bike, but the first thing i'd do is get a look at any rust inside that tank and make sure the piston is not seized from sitting or other. It also looks like it is missing one of the factory tags on the right hand side, but there are others lurking here who'd know for sure.

Yeah no decomp in the usa.you would see a cable running to the head next to the spark plug if it has one. Your missing alot. Worry about the engine first. It's safe to say that even if the main bearings are ok, the seals need to be replaced. So you'll at least need an engine teardown

Everything is available for these bikes. If I were you I wouldn't worry a lot about original switch gear and buy one of the many available sets from treatland.tv/doscycles.com. kill it just a wire to the coil that grounds it so super easy and keep the lights hardwired to on.

As for speed and such. A 14 or 15mm bing carb would be a nice upgrade, as I imagine that bike has a 12mm bing. If you do, don't forget the bigger intake or it won't help at all.

Cylinders are available up past 70cc, and many are direct bolt on and will really help with performance. Just remember that it's a two stroke, so carb jetting is very important. If you change anything from the carb thru the engine to the exhaust, you need to jet richer or you risk seizure.

If you want to keep the engine as is after fixing it up, consider a mild expansion chamber exhaust. The exhaust is super important for two stroke power as it's a resonant system. You can expect a few mph from an exhaust and upjet.

Find out what speed model you have! They made 20, 25, and 30mph bikes, or more accurately 1, 1.5, and 2hp bikes. If it's a slow bike you'll at least want to get it up to 2hp stock configuration.

As for the seat, clean with soap and water then apply some sort of vinyl conditioner. Your just replacing oils...don't tell anybody but I use mane and tail hair conditioner. Works great! Apply thickly and let it sit for several days. Wipe off the excess.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah no decomp in the usa.you would see a cable running to the head next

> to the spark plug if it has one. Your missing alot. Worry about the

> engine first. It's safe to say that even if the main bearings are ok,

> the seals need to be replaced. So you'll at least need an engine

> teardown

>

> Everything is available for these bikes. If I were you I wouldn't worry

> a lot about original switch gear and buy one of the many available sets

> from treatland.tv/doscycles.com. kill it just a wire to the coil that

> grounds it so super easy and keep the lights hardwired to on.

>

> As for speed and such. A 14 or 15mm bing carb would be a nice upgrade,

> as I imagine that bike has a 12mm bing. If you do, don't forget the

> bigger intake or it won't help at all.

>

> Cylinders are available up past 70cc, and many are direct bolt on and

> will really help with performance. Just remember that it's a two stroke,

> so carb jetting is very important. If you change anything from the carb

> thru the engine to the exhaust, you need to jet richer or you risk

> seizure.

>

> If you want to keep the engine as is after fixing it up, consider a mild

> expansion chamber exhaust. The exhaust is super important for two stroke

> power as it's a resonant system. You can expect a few mph from an

> exhaust and upjet.

>

> Find out what speed model you have! They made 20, 25, and 30mph bikes,

> or more accurately 1, 1.5, and 2hp bikes. If it's a slow bike you'll at

> least want to get it up to 2hp stock configuration.

>

> As for the seat, clean with soap and water then apply some sort of vinyl

> conditioner. Your just replacing oils...don't tell anybody but I use

> mane and tail hair conditioner. Works great! Apply thickly and let it

> sit for several days. Wipe off the excess.

He said he paid what he did because he wanted a stock bike, so I don't think he'll heed your advice

But he didn't get a stock bike...

I don’t think the forks are bent. Somebody just stripped out the cast play-doh thing at the top of the springs.

I know Someone has looked for that part before and I don’t think anyone sells just that part. But you can get a fork rebuild kit which has new lower tubes and the thing attached.

Treats says out of stock. Maybe try other vendors or Buy/sell for a set.

All that seems easy. Looks like a solid maxi that should clean up nice.

BTW, your 13 year old, florida kid story took me back to a vision of being a boy, wearing cut-off blue jeans, barefoot, riding anything with an engine. Summers were fun and dangerous back in the day. Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to still be alive. (edited)

Overpriced Parts /

Post a good picture of the inside of the tank

here's a picture of the inside of the tank as well as a picture of the top of the tank after I cleaned it with a sponge for a couple of seconds. Thanks everyone for your help and replies.

PXL_20210218_021701215.jpg
PXL_20210218_021942186.jpg

I sent you a Personal Message—I’m nearby in Jacksonville, happy to help if I can

Guys like us in FL have it tough. There’s a giant moped eating machine down in Tampa buying up everything. We’re lucky anything slips past the ever-on-the-prowl moped shark

Overpriced Parts /

The inside of the tank rusted that could be a dealbreaker because the tank is the frame could crack after (or before) you clean the rust out, I hope you didn’t pay very much for it Because you may be needing a new frame, you already need forks or fork parts So you may be hunting for another bike.

Jeez, everyone is harping on you for what, to me, looks like a super clean bike covered in dirt and dust.

Wash it, wax it. Shine the chrome.

Check the outside of the tank at the bottom to make sure it's not rusted out.

Fill the tank with evaporust and let it sit for 24 hours.

Find some bolts for the fork plate and bolt the the legs on. If they're stripped, buy some new ones.

Wash the seat with the rest of the bike, wipe it down with simple green.

Hardwire the lights and forget about the switches (and the horn.)

If the tires, tubes and cables are bad, get new ones. If not, clean the tires with simple green, air 'em up, and grease the inner wire on the cables.

Clean the carb, get a new plug, fire it up and ride it.

Baird with the voice of reason.

Your oil mixture sticker is in German, plus the headlight switch, the 5 star mag wheels, and the push-in style gas cap, make me think this is actually a cool import model. Not to mention the speedo in Km. (edited)

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Your oil mixture sticker is in German, plus the headlight switch, the 5

> star mag wheels, and the push-in style gas cap, make me think this is

> actually a cool import model. Not to mention the speedo in Km.

Easiest way to tell for sure is the taillight, they had distinctly different taillights in the European market.

campeona del mundo /

this is for sure a one off import.

So, Thanks for the help. This is an import as some of you have said. The switch on top of the headlight and the headlight are bone stock. I got one thing right myself. The caked on dust has protected it. Its not perfect but damn its in good condition.

On top of the headlight you have three modes. Off, Running with lights and Running with no lights. As I was starting to clean it today I noticed what others have said. There is no English on the Moped stickers and the speedo is in Km. It is much simpler than the USA models I have had over the years actually.

It will need $300-$400 worth of parts to get it back to decent.

Again thanks for all the help. Take a look at the headlamp pics that are attached as well as a pic of the underside of the front fender.

Regards,

Rob (Stingerrray)

PXL_20210218_220108346.jpg
PXL_20210218_223736158.MP.jpg
PXL_20210219_010121930.NIGHT.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account