chopper build

i’ve been wanting to make a chopper for a while but being on an uncommon base (columbia commuter) it didn’t really feel like a doable thing. over this winter i’ve decided to go into it for real and im starting at the forks. i got some tubing that’s the exact size as my fork tubes and cut it to be about 16” extended from the stock forks. i compressed the bottoms to be flat for the wheel mounting point and drilled out for the axle. at this point i am waiting for access to a welder. either at my school shop or from a buddy. i need to chop the spring mounting point off of the old fork legs and butt weld (tig most likely) them to the new fork legs. i figure since it is covered by the fork “sleeves” that butt weld should hold up fine.

554C2D53-1657-404B-8AD7-946365C7FFCA.jpeg

stock handlebars after bending

FFABEF1F-AC2B-49FF-9D93-AFBF34AC419D.jpeg

stock fork legs around the length that i wanted just to get a feel for the style

73B8A330-46B8-4351-940E-8425E6007128.jpeg

new fork legs next to old

Re: chopper build

3758ED1F-14EF-4668-80F0-94B526BD5CDC.jpeg

new fork legs mocked up. still missing the springs though

Re: chopper build

7EBB32D6-24DF-444E-8C26-54E962A543A1.jpeg

forks are now in. trying to figure out what to do for the seat. anyone have any ideas?

Re: chopper build

You are most definitely going to want to add some sort of cross brace on the fork lowers. Also with that rake your front wheel is almost definitely going to skip/hop when you brake. Just thing to keep in mind

Re: chopper build

> Nick MBC Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You are most definitely going to want to add some sort of cross brace on

> the fork lowers. Also with that rake your front wheel is almost

> definitely going to skip/hop when you brake. Just thing to keep in mind

Just dont use a front brake. Most chopper guys dont run them.

Re: chopper build

that is a really good point about the fork brace - completely slipped my mind. i have some aluminum on the way to make one (hopefully). also thanks for the heads up about the braking, i’ll be running no front brake so it’s not a huge worry but i do appreciate the warning

Re: chopper build

> zack reep Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> forks are now in. trying to figure out what to do for the seat. anyone

> have any ideas?

Treats sells chopper seats for maxi bikes.

Re: chopper build

what schedule tubing?

I'm a little nervous but I would also do the same thing - looks good on that frame too IMO

Re: chopper build

Alex Fredericksen /

Chop the head tube and adjust the rake. No one ever gets this on a "chopper Ped".

Re: chopper build

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> what schedule tubing?

>

> I'm a little nervous but I would also do the same thing - looks good on

> that frame too IMO

it’s mild steel .065 inch wall. it’s from a racing supplier so i’m not worried about it at all. i appreciate the concern tho

in other news here is the fork brace i designed, i just have to get it 3D printed in nylon

E98A1CED-A0D6-44E9-9EF4-AB3C779A0115.jpeg

Re: chopper build

I wouldn't trust nylon. You can just get a ebr fork brace and that will work perfect. That fork brace you designed wont stop the twist effect unless you through bolt it to the fork tubes but the nylon is a bad idea. Also is the tubing DOM tubing?

Re: chopper build

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I wouldn't trust nylon. You can just get a ebr fork brace and that will

> work perfect. That fork brace you designed wont stop the twist effect

> unless you through bolt it to the fork tubes but the nylon is a bad

> idea. Also is the tubing DOM tubing?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-tr1000-065-4 this is the tubing i got. with the ebr brace i would have to make mounts though right?

Re: chopper build

the tubing that i gots wall is the same size as the original fork tubes wall

Re: chopper build

> zack reep Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Satan 666 Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I wouldn't trust nylon. You can just get a ebr fork brace and that

> will

>

> > work perfect. That fork brace you designed wont stop the twist effect

>

> > unless you through bolt it to the fork tubes but the nylon is a bad

>

> > idea. Also is the tubing DOM tubing?

>

> https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-tr1000-065-4 this is the tubing i

> got. with the ebr brace i would have to make mounts though right?

Yes just like the stock ones. If you cant weld I'm sure you could bring them to a muffler shop all prepped and they can zap them. Or welding will make mopeds so much more enjoyable so go buy a cheap welder and have fun.

Re: chopper build

Omg the only other Columbia sport I’ve ever seen! Cool!

WAit, a Columbia supreme? Lol wtf Columbia. (edited)

Re: chopper build

How did you get out the original fork legs? Do they screw out?

Re: chopper build

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > zack reep Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Satan 666 Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > I wouldn't trust nylon. You can just get a ebr fork brace and that

>

> > will

>

> >

>

> > > work perfect. That fork brace you designed wont stop the twist

> effect

>

> >

>

> > > unless you through bolt it to the fork tubes but the nylon is a bad

>

> >

>

> > > idea. Also is the tubing DOM tubing?

>

> >

>

> > https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-tr1000-065-4 this is the tubing

> i

>

> > got. with the ebr brace i would have to make mounts though right?

>

> Yes just like the stock ones. If you cant weld I'm sure you could bring

> them to a muffler shop all prepped and they can zap them. Or welding

> will make mopeds so much more enjoyable so go buy a cheap welder and

> have fun.

cool i’ll look into it more. i’m currently in school getting an associates in welding technology so i can just weld stuff up at school

Re: chopper build

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> How did you get out the original fork legs? Do they screw out?

yep! they screw right out

Re: chopper build

apologies for the lack of updates. it was real cold here in michigan and as it was warming up i stabbed my palm w an exacto knife working on modifying a pull start so i’m out of the game for a few days (maybe more if i need surgery :/). i’ve got a fork brace to fit up though and a pull start to finish up as soon as i’m back

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account