6v to 12v help

Luke Vidacovich /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Hey all! Recent moped purchase, engine is a sachs 505 clone. All the lights are broken and it's cheaper/easier to replace with LED's all around. Problem there is I need 12v DC not the 6v AC that's currently on the bike.

It has a (dead) battery but when I measured this morning I was getting from 4-10v AC from the wire leading to the battery - varying with throttle input. So first and foremost I think the old silicon rectifier might be bad.

My plan WAS to use a 6v rectifier/regulator to get a solid 6v DC out of the system, then hook that up to a 6v battery and use a 6v DC to 12v DC convertor to power the lights on the bike. I also thought about using a small 12v battery pack (NiMH or something) to help ease the load on the converter.

But someone mentioned I could just swap the coil and get 12v on the whole system - would I need something like this? What else would I need?

I'm usually good with wiring but this whole thing is confusing me for some reason. Thanks all!

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account