6v to 12v help

Hey all! Recent moped purchase, engine is a sachs 505 clone. All the lights are broken and it's cheaper/easier to replace with LED's all around. Problem there is I need 12v DC not the 6v AC that's currently on the bike.

It has a (dead) battery but when I measured this morning I was getting from 4-10v AC from the wire leading to the battery - varying with throttle input. So first and foremost I think the old silicon rectifier might be bad.

My plan WAS to use a 6v rectifier/regulator to get a solid 6v DC out of the system, then hook that up to a 6v battery and use a 6v DC to 12v DC convertor to power the lights on the bike. I also thought about using a small 12v battery pack (NiMH or something) to help ease the load on the converter.

But someone mentioned I could just swap the coil and get 12v on the whole system - would I need something like this? What else would I need?

I'm usually good with wiring but this whole thing is confusing me for some reason. Thanks all!

Re: 6v to 12v help

I think the problem with all that is power loss through conversion as well. The best bet would be probably be buy a rectifier and rock 6vDC lights or buy a whole CDI setup. Really though batteries last FOREVER so if you keep the lights on

12v battery only and throw a $30 minder on it when you park the bike you're chillin'

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, you're going to loose output by trying to use a voltage doubler.

If the system had a battery, than it must have a way of outputting dc from the factory. You cannot power a battery with AC current.

Luke Vidacovich /

> * wormdirt * Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I think the problem with all that is power loss through conversion as

> well. The best bet would be probably be buy a rectifier and rock 6vDC

> lights or buy a whole CDI setup. Really though batteries last FOREVER so

> if you keep the lights on

>

> 12v battery only and throw a $30 minder on it when you park the bike

> you're chillin'

Already have 2 chargers so this might be the best idea of all. Just throw on a 12v battery where the old 6v used to be and voila!

Is there anything wired into the battery that won't work on 12v - so long as I replace all the lights? My moped doesn't have a published wiring diagram so I'm working kinda blind. (edited)

Luke Vidacovich /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Yeah, you're going to loose output by trying to use a voltage doubler.

>

> If the system had a battery, than it must have a way of outputting dc

> from the factory. You cannot power a battery with AC current.

You're right. But when reading the voltage using to the only wire running to the + terminal on the battery using my autosensing voltmeter I was getting AC current.

Do you think replacing the old rectifier would fix that? Or would it be easiest to just throw on a 12v battery to power everything and charge it when needed?

Luke Vidacovich /

> Luke Vidacovich Wrote:

> > * wormdirt * Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I think the problem with all that is power loss through conversion as

>

> > well. The best bet would be probably be buy a rectifier and rock 6vDC

>

> > lights or buy a whole CDI setup. Really though batteries last FOREVER

> so

>

> > if you keep the lights on

>

> >

>

> > 12v battery only and throw a $30 minder on it when you park the bike

>

> > you're chillin'

>

> Already have 2 chargers so this might be the best idea of all. Just

> throw on a 12v battery where the old 6v used to be and voila!

>

> Is there anything wired into the battery that won't work on 12v - so

> long as I replace all the lights? My moped doesn't have a published

> wiring diagram so I'm working kinda blind.

I already have a 12v horn and a 12v flasher relay so those are good to go. I wonder about the stop switches.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account