Motobecane Magneto Cover Removal

I've checked the other threads on this topic, and I've looked in my manual, but I can't seem to get the damn thing off. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the cover without using power tools of some sort?

I got a <a href="http://www2.truevalue.com/index.cfm?Action=shoppingProductLargeImage&intProductID=20957&CFID=620591&CFTOKEN=2167887"; target="_blank">strap wrench</a>, but it still just slips as I try to pull the opposite direction with my wrench.

simon

Re: Motobecane Magneto Cover Removal

Just a reminder ..It is a left handed thread.. What I did to get the cover off was to remove the plug and put cotton rope into the cylinder (cotton bits burn up) Feed the rope in untill the cylinder is full then turn the bolt..Fix points and tighten the bolt, then remove the rope.....The rope stops the the engine from turning and any little particles burn up when you run it.....It worked for me......

david f martin /

That's a clever solution! Now I have a new trick for my toolbag. Thanks!

david

Interesting -- the rope acts like a <a href="http://joyride.phpwebhosting.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/27/products_id/358"; target="_blank">piston stop</a>, which I was considering getting from the moped warehouse if nobody had a suggestion.

I'm a little nervous about threading rope into the top of my cylinder, but it sounds like it would work. Thanks for the great idea.

simon

Great Idea.........my buddy has a Mbcane now i now how attack the possible no start problem.

thanks

Chris MWH /

The rope works well. I have used it myself in a pinch. The metal piston stop is what the factory recommends as you will get more acurate torque readings with it. One other thing people use the metal piston stop for is as a crude ignition timeing tool. If you cut the portion that extend into the cylinder you can use it as a crude micrometer that will allow you to tell where the piston is in relation to its stroke. 1 turn of the tool = 1.25mm

Chris MWH

Ron Brown /

Simon,

The "rope trick" will most likely work, as would a piston stop.

Personally, I like the impact wrench solution to avoid leaning on the drive train.

If you can persuade someone to help hold the wrench in place, just whack it with a hammer while holding the flywheel so it does not spin too far.

Ron

i have yet to try this ron, but im gonna take your word for it when i get ready to... did you tell him about using an adapter if the head is stripped?

Ron Brown /

Casey,

I don't remember it being Simon who had that problem, but he seems to be latching on to the bolt head ok.

Ron

It turns out that I could'nt get this thing off with any amount of force. I did the rope trick, which worked well, but still, the nut would not turn.

In the end I used a metal chisel and hammered into the nut at the angle I needed it to turn. This created a groove that I could continue to hit with the chisel and hammer - eventually forcing the nut into motion.

This is definitely not a recommended method, but I wanted to post it here for archival purposes in case anyone else has this problem in the future. It damages the outside of the nut, but beyond the way it looks, it doesn't damage it's function in any way.

simon

Re: Rope trick caveat

When inserting the rope into the cylinder, be sure the piston is above the ports!

I've used this method forever, but the other day on a friend's Grande, I managed to clip the end of the rope in the port. Luckily it was the exhaust port. The piece was in the pipe.

Otherwise we would have had to pull the engine and then remove the head and cylinder to try to fish the piece(s) out!

Jim

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account