Qt50 build progress!

Pretty average QT50 build.

Got inspired after i saw a craigslist ad wanting 1800$ for this "I know what i got, its modded, hits 50mph" 😆

Here's what i was running currently (before i took it off the bike)

Cheapo 60cc big bore kit (ment for a trisinger, but totally bolts up to a pw50/qt50 bottom end, for 40$ it was a no brainer)

High comp head off of a puch? Had to drill it out but cools it down better than the stocker.

Mlm sidebleed.

Bypassed oil injector

Hits bout 35-38mph, but the carb and intake are HUUGE restrictions. You can feel when it just isn't getting enough air, almost like a gay limiter.

Now:

Installed a MLM INTAKE, turns the previous owner put on fliberglass reeds?

Also got 40lb valve springs (8$ each WTF)

Really have some cheapo flakey paint, treats must be doing this so they keep the puch market up ;)

Also installed a crush gasket for exhaust.

Gonna be running a knockoff pz22 carb, cause no way in hell im paying 60$ for a used carb (you know who you are)

My next step would be a rev plate, and maybe nitrous?

Gotta love yamaha mopeds (edited)

20210116_105313.jpg
20210116_111701.jpg
20210116_105302.jpg

Re: Qt50 build progress!

Jack Rutherford /

see if the piston completely opens the exhaust port at BDC on that kit. If so, no need for rev plate. raise the exhaust port instead.

Re: Qt50 build progress!

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> see if the piston completely opens the exhaust port at BDC on that kit.

> If so, no need for rev plate. raise the exhaust port instead.

checked it, i raised it bout 2mm with some spare gaskets, it does still have some hangover, maybe 1mm?

id say a small rev plate wouldn't hurt. what ya running on yours? im still running qt50 gears as I can't find any PW50 gears that aren't 10billion dollars.

id say raising the exhaust is gonna be the last thing as id have to get another cylinder (in case I mess it up)

Re: Qt50 build progress!

Jack Rutherford /

ok. On my stock cylinder qt50, I think it has base gasket, 1mm copper gasket and another base gasket. So 2mm~. I'd have to check. Lani has some for sale and has even made custom widths for me.

whatever you add to the base, you need to take off the same amount of material from the top so at TDC, the piston comes to end of cylinder barrel.

Sell your qt gears buy pw50 gears and pocket the difference.

here ya go (edited)

Re: Qt50 build progress!

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ok. On my stock cylinder qt50, I think it has base gasket, 1mm copper

> gasket and another base gasket. So 2mm~. I'd have to check. Lani has

> some for sale and has even made custom widths for me.

>

> whatever you add to the base, you need to take off the same amount of

> material from the top so at TDC, the piston comes to end of cylinder

> barrel.

>

> Sell your qt gears buy pw50 gears and pocket the difference.

>

> here ya go

nice, yea im planning on ordering that 17$ .125 copper gasket on eBay, looks like the same seller?

for shaving ill probably use my belt sander, eh, it'll be fine.

for pw50 gears, ill need to purchase them first, then sell it, hopefully, find a cheapo set?

Re: Qt50 build progress!

Jack Rutherford /

the champ has the same gears as pw50. I added a link above to it. here it is again. $114 bargain

Re: Qt50 build progress!

oh cool!

does it just bolt on to a qt50 wheel? if so im spending money today

well, bought it! worst case i use my buddy press and make them fit (edited)

Re: Qt50 build progress!

Super cool to see this getting hyped up! I got the build sheet from the guy with the $1,800 one, all Yamaha parts, yz60 cyl I think, if I can find the e-mail I will share it with you, I know he had it ported as well. Glad you got it back after theft, I think the stock ignition switch worked, just use any key to turn it to off? I never cared cuz the battery was toast. Keep a good battery in there or you can burn out the charge coil. Keep the updates coming! Never thought I would be glad I sold a bike, but I'am. Maybe consider a crossbar if you get over 40...

Re: Qt50 build progress!

Jack Rutherford /

You will need to do some pressing.

Re: Qt50 build progress!

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Super cool to see this getting hyped up! I got the build sheet from the

> guy with the $1,800 one, all Yamaha parts, yz60 cyl I think, if I can

> find the e-mail I will share it with you, I know he had it ported as

> well. Glad you got it back after theft, I think the stock ignition

> switch worked, just use any key to turn it to off? I never cared cuz the

> battery was toast. Keep a good battery in there or you can burn out the

> charge coil. Keep the updates coming! Never thought I would be glad I

> sold a bike, but I'am. Maybe consider a crossbar if you get over 40...

yup, the ignition doesn't work at all, stays on whether or not there's a key in. eh, I got a kill switch on it now, should prevent most thefts, id guess they saw me just kill the bike with the handlebar killswitch and decided to take it for a not so nice spin.

honestly, it's pretty stable so far, brakes are kinda half-assed but work (new pads)

i think it'll handle 50mph (if i can get it to wind up that far) no problem for a short period of time.

really just having fun with it, ill probably be selling my puch soon as i don't really have as much fun with it as i do with this bike. (edited)

Re: Qt50 build progress!

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You will need to do some pressing.

boo, oh well, i guess ill make my mola back from selling the qt gears.

Re: Qt50 build progress!

Jack Rutherford /

Sell the qt gears in March. I’ve seen people give $350 for them.

Re: Qt50 build progress!

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Sell the qt gears in March. I’ve seen people give $350 for them.

nice, I'm guessing pw50 guys love them. gives them more low end.

Re: Qt50 build progress!

Hmmm, I thought if you turned the switch to off it killed it....but I only rode it like twice, brakes are a weak point on QT's. I would be scared to see 50 on a QT, but I'm old...lol, my scooter will see about 42 full tuck, but it has great brakes. :)

Re: Qt50 build progress!

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hmmm, I thought if you turned the switch to off it killed it....but I

> only rode it like twice, brakes are a weak point on QT's. I would be

> scared to see 50 on a QT, but I'm old...lol, my scooter will see about

> 42 full tuck, but it has great brakes. :)

Honestly, this thing hits the pipe HARD, love the sound it makes with the pipe. If i get 45 ill be a happy camper.

Yea, ignition switch did nothing for me, before i messed with it and after. Only thing that worked was the handle bar killswitch.

I looked at the gearbox i bought, seems like the lc50 has the same size shaft, just with the pw50 gears.

Also be on the look out, ill be selling off some kewl stuff this February/March ;)

(My pair of 1967 honda p50 wing wheels, my MINT puch maxi, my FA50, and spare motor and stuff for the qt50)

gotta get some stuff out of the garage and into other people's hands.

Maybe ill buy a motobecane? (edited)

Re: Qt50 build progress!

If you do buy a Motobecane, make sure to get a runner, they do not deal well with abuse/rotting outside, but there is nothing like a 50v. Will watch buy/sell, maybe like the Puch, never had one... they don't do a lot for me, but should give everything a try. :) What you should really buy is a Hobbit.

Re: Qt50 build progress!

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If you do buy a Motobecane, make sure to get a runner, they do not deal

> well with abuse/rotting outside, but there is nothing like a 50v. Will

> watch buy/sell, maybe like the Puch, never had one... they don't do a

> lot for me, but should give everything a try. :) What you should really

> buy is a Hobbit.

Ive been looking for a hobbit for a long time now, i missed out in a kitted one for 450. But he was in Wisconsin sadly.

I was honestly planning on putting a BBK pipe etc. On the puch, but the thing is Soo clean id feel bad doing so.

Gotta get my applications complete and get the 3 Tabs and titles ready to go. (edited)

Re: Qt50 build progress!

If I score the Helix I have been watching, I MAY sell my Hobbit, I have had it since '98, bone stock....love that bike, but it is better to see it ridden. Will let you know if you are interested.

Re: Qt50 build progress!

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If I score the Helix I have been watching, I MAY sell my Hobbit, I have

> had it since '98, bone stock....love that bike, but it is better to see

> it ridden. Will let you know if you are interested.

Temping, ill have to sell off my excess mopeds first though, got a few too many currently. Possibly see what there is for it.

Id love to get another 2spd type moped though, i had 2 fz50s that were pretty fun to feel it shifting gears.

Re: Qt50 build progress!

Dual variated blows away any other type of drive moped wise, for real. Puchs always seemed slow, as I always had Motobecanes and Honda's, some Vespa's have the dual variator, Honda copied from Vespa many aspects of the Hobbit/Camino. I would not sell my Hobbit to just anyone, only someone who would use it. It is an amazing machine. I think it still has the og 1978 spark plug in it, they don't make things like that anymore.

Re: Qt50 build progress!

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Dual variated blows away any other type of drive moped wise, for real.

> Puchs always seemed slow, as I always had Motobecanes and Honda's, some

> Vespa's have the dual variator, Honda copied from Vespa many aspects of

> the Hobbit/Camino. I would not sell my Hobbit to just anyone, only

> someone who would use it. It is an amazing machine. I think it still has

> the og 1978 spark plug in it, they don't make things like that anymore.

Honestly if i got that hobbit id probably make it my daily, as the qt50 was my daily for a few months (and only stolen once!) Now im just trying to make it go as fast as possible.

I have to agree, variated is the best drive line out there. Ive got a 84 CA50 and that thing will runs circles around my qt50, only mods ive done to that one was a pipe and rejet, hits bout 40-45 and pulls hard! But its a scooter, not a moped :(

20201206_144432.jpg

Re: Qt50 build progress!

Very nice! I have a scooter too, '99 Hyosung sense, a real oddball, but it rips hard, even with a catalytic convertor in the stock exhaust, about the same speed, 40-42, but I'm fat so maybe faster. It needs work, electric choke is fried....a bitch to start cold, the kick start is ground out so only electric, batt sucks. Headlight is a disgrace. But she is fast! Suzuki clone engine, 2 stroke oil injected. Maybe a trade if the scooter is titled and plated?

187.jpg

Re: Qt50 build progress!

punkrock randy /

> mark voznyuk Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Id love to get another 2spd type moped though, i had 2 fz50s that were

> pretty fun to feel it shifting gears.

^part of the reason i love my Champ, i wonder how nice a new clutch would feel sometimes. This thread is making me wanna bump up the performance, I wish MLM would make an intake for LC50 already, though I know they never will. Not enough made for strong demand:-(

Re: Qt50 build progress!

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Very nice! I have a scooter too, '99 Hyosung sense, a real oddball, but

> it rips hard, even with a catalytic convertor in the stock exhaust,

> about the same speed, 40-42, but I'm fat so maybe faster. It needs work,

> electric choke is fried....a bitch to start cold, the kick start is

> ground out so only electric, batt sucks. Headlight is a disgrace. But

> she is fast! Suzuki clone engine, 2 stroke oil injected. Maybe a trade

> if the scooter is titled and plated?

Yup, titled and plated in my name. Oil injection still works as well, lights are all good.

How's the hobbit run? Any issues?

Re: Qt50 build progress!

> punkrock randy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > mark voznyuk Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Id love to get another 2spd type moped though, i had 2 fz50s that were

>

> > pretty fun to feel it shifting gears.

>

> ^part of the reason i love my Champ, i wonder how nice a new clutch

> would feel sometimes. This thread is making me wanna bump up the

> performance, I wish MLM would make an intake for LC50 already, though I

> know they never will. Not enough made for strong demand:-(

yea, I heard you can modify a qt50 one to clear? I've personally never seen a towny or a champ IRL, id love to own a champ if i could find one, personally don't like the look of the towny (not really my taste)

i wonder if a towny 2spd engine will bolt up to a qt50 frame? that would be cool

Re: Qt50 build progress!

Yeah I've been messing around with the pw50 I bought for my kids and I'm pretty impressed, crazy design but so well executed you really gotta like it.

I keep thinking of other weird applications where that would be such a good powerplant

Re: Qt50 build progress!

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah I've been messing around with the pw50 I bought for my kids and I'm

> pretty impressed, crazy design but so well executed you really gotta

> like it.

>

> I keep thinking of other weird applications where that would be such a

> good powerplant

yea, its a reliable design, really can't kill these things. as long as they keep making the pw50 ill be able to keep this thing running!

Re: Qt50 build progress!

punkrock randy /

I don’t think I’d ever wanna part w Champ. ‘Specially now that I’ve got my bier hauling solution sussed out!🤙🏼 Now to get that damned next level pipe mounted up🤔

8947C2FD-8433-48BE-B672-B4B5104F2019.jpeg

Re: Qt50 build progress!

> punkrock randy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I don’t think I’d ever wanna part w Champ. ‘Specially now that I’ve got

> my bier hauling solution sussed out!🤙🏼 Now to get that damned next level

> pipe mounted up🤔

yup, gotta love old Yamahas, whats the top speed on that bad boy?

Re: Qt50 build progress!

punkrock randy /

30-32 usually. Hits 2nd around 16mph. Great as long as minimal hills in sight.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account