Coming soon: visual editor for Moped Wiki

I wanted to give everyone a heads up about my winter website project — a major new update to Moped Wiki. I think we can all agree that the wiki is a useful tool, and it's powerful that anyone can create and edit pages, but unfortunately the barrier to contribution is too high. It's just too confusing and difficult to edit. That's why I'm working on adding a Visual Editor to the wiki. This should make it drastically easier to create and edit pages. There's a lot of integration work to do, but in my initial tests it feels pretty good. You click "edit" and start editing, WYSIWYG style. No special codes or weird "wikitext".

Below is an example of making simple text edits to an existing page, along with adding and resizing a photo.

On mobile, there will be a new collapsable layout that makes it easier to navigate long articles. Although full editing capabilities will only work on desktop, basic visual editing will be easy to do on mobile as well.

Not launch date yet, but I'm spending my nights and weekends on this so hopefully it will truly be a "winter" project and not creep into spring. I'll keep you updated.

Re: Coming soon: visual editor for Moped Wiki

Awesome! You truly are the king!

Johnny Braaapp /

I fuck with this! Hell yeah, just no SQL Injection or Cookie Pirates pl0x. (edited)

FYI: the Moped Wiki is temporarily in read only mode. The upgrade I'm working on is now at a point where I need to lock the database in production. You can access any wiki article just fine, you just can't edit it. The wiki upgrade with an improved editor will launch sometime February 2021.

Benjamin The Wandering Pacer /

YEA!!! I can't wait for this!

There's something else I'm excited to add to the wiki: full PDF support. There are PDFs on the wiki right today, but they're just file downloads. The new wiki update will convert PDFs to images and allow you to browse, and link to individual pages. This means you can embed specific pages from a PDF into the forum or wiki. This is going to make the new wiki a perfect home for moped manuals.

A Motobecane catalog (PDF) on the wiki today:

And here is what it will look like on the new wiki:

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Woohoo so easy a caveman can do it...

you the man!!!

Ceno Viniati /

What would it take for AMF to produce 200 mopeds a day.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

A time machine?

Benjamin The Wandering Pacer /

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Woohoo so easy a caveman can do it...

YEAH!

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Nowwth dashboard. ...

Ungabungbunga in bida bunga. ...

Wish I knew even a thing you were talking about, but glad you are updating site for those that understand.

UPDATE: Lots of little integration challenges but I'm making progress. I'm at the phase of this work where I'm doing a lot of wiki editing, to improve the articles but also as a QA process to see if I can find bugs in the visual editor. Still hitting some major bugs from time to time, but 🤞that I can wrap things up by the end of the month still. Editing is so much easier. I know I'm going to find myself adding things to wiki pages a lot more.

And that's my hope — that many of you will see useful bits of info on the forum, and pop over to the appropriate wiki page to quickly add it. It's great when someone writes up a big article by themselves, but by continually archiving and organizing all of us can improve the wiki one fact at a time until it's the ultimate moped encyclopedia.

Sounds awesome Simon! I'm really looking forward to it!

No idea what most of this means, but a big TY to Simon for all the work put into this site, it is my only social media, and have been here since almost the beginning, the wiki is used by me mainly for info, not adding, but any upgrades are a good thing, thanks Simon.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account