Title for mopeds?

I’m selling an 82 Suzuki Fa50 in California, a potential buyer is asking if I have the title. I don’t think I’ve ever had a title for a moped. Am I wrong? (edited)

Re: Title for mopeds?

Titles and one time registration are required in the state of California. I've never been pulled over to have it checked but technically you need that and a motorcycle license/permit.

Pretty sure most states consider that a scooter. If like FL, got to have a title to be legal. I had a Suzuki FZ50 and that’s what the State called it—a scooter. At least where I am, you have to be able to pedal it like a bicycle to be a legit moped. Clerks at the DMV make this a “no middle ground” kind of thing—if they are ignorant and slack, maybe they can help you get a moped tag (registration only). Otherwise, no bueno on getting that thing legal without a legit title

Samuel Prisk /

In Virginia a Bill of Sale will work in lieu of a title when registering a moped. Here, any vehicle of 49cc is considered a moped. I guess we are lucky here because its not really a problem registering a moped without a title. Best part is when you register a moped with only a Bill of Sale you get a real title when done.

I have a clean Michigan title for my FA50 .

Try asking your local DMV what is what .

Or , just read :

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/new-registration/motorcycles-mopeds-and-scooters/

> Samuel Prisk Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> In Virginia a Bill of Sale will work in lieu of a title when registering

> a moped. Here, any vehicle of 49cc is considered a moped. I guess we are

> lucky here because its not really a problem registering a moped without

> a title. Best part is when you register a moped with only a Bill of Sale

> you get a real title when done.

There's another form that must be notorized. And its not "any", there are some restrictions on seat height, number wheels, lights, etc.

If you need a title, your best choice for a Moped Title is probably to get one via VT's online process.

Otherwise, you FA50 is a motor-driven cycle in CA. Look up insurance requirements, fees, etc and decide for yourself.

Samuel Prisk /

Yeah, I forgot about the notarized part. Still, it's easy here compared to other states. And I've never had them inspect any mopeds/scooters I registered without a title. Done 5 so far. There are title services that charge you to do it as well.

pretty sure in CA that without pedals it is in the same class as Motorcycles and Scooters. however years ago it was possible to register it as a Moped because of the small engine, now is different. I am not sure that a Title came with that bike, but you should certainly fill out a Bill of Sale with a statement of facts noting that the seller could not produce a title. be sure to include the vin# or frame# engine# if you can find them, the DMV will most likely do a search to check if it was ever in the system or reported stolen. It is also possible that it was never in the system, so you may be able to still register it as a Motorcycle, but it most likely will have to be inspected to be sure all equipment functions correctly, such as headlamp, tail light, brake light, horn, rear view mirror, and a couple ways to kill the motor. They also may want to see you start it on an incline or decline. (I had to show all these when I took a NOS Moby to the DMV to ride in the M2 test)

California is a non title state. Just send in form 203 along with $23 to Sacramento. 3-4 weeks later, plates are in the mail. Unless it changed this new year.

TU.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account