How bad are Tomos brakes and forks?

Rosario Miller /

I have a 06 tomos targa lx I believe the brakes that are on it are 3 inch drums I’ve adjust them super tight but they Still suck at stopping. To give you a idea my 100$ Walmart bike with v brakes stops quicker then it. Was wondering if changing the shoes would make a difference? I would like if it’s possible to put a dis brake upfront but I’ve seen no one so it with my style forks. Speaking of forks these things are super sketch if I cradle the wheel between my legs and turn the handle bar there is play. I’ve tighten everything down and it still moves. I’ve looked thru the repair forum but couldn’t find anything. I also completely dissemble the forks and regreased everything. This is the only picture I have that shows the forks I’ll get a better one in the afternoon. Anyways thanks for reading.

36FA31CB-BEF0-4423-82FF-B1047E924919.jpeg

Re: How bad are Tomos brakes and forks?

Those aren't tomos forks. Without a brace most stock moped forks are going to have a fair amount of twist. In good working condition the brakes shouldn't be that bad. (edited)

Yeah changing your brake shoes would make a difference... When your car's brakes stop working well you change the pads, same on a moped.

Those aren't stock Tomos forks, do you have the fender? If so put it on, you need any bracing you can get.

Rosario Miller /

Any idea what they are? I did but the brace back on but not the fender. Made a noticeable difference but there’s still some play. Reason I was asking about the brakes was it was like that when I got it. But who knows how much it was ridden.

Moped drum brakes suck. You cant compare it to a cantilever or style brake because it is stopping in different ways. Also your walmart bike weighs like 20lbs. You moped weighs over 100lbs.

The brakes may have started to glaze over after years of use. Causing a slick surface. You can sand your brake pads to roughen them up. You can also file in some grooves which creates more stopping points along your brake pads which can help. Also clean up the drum area real good with some brake cleaner. They make aftermarket pads you can grab if what you have just wont work.

If you want really good stopping power. Purchase a replacement set of forks that have a disc brake setup.

The easiest and quickest and least expensive fix is :

Start stopping sooner . ;)

I'm almost certain that those are k10 forks. They are sweeeeeet. Alot came up on the nos market a few wears ago.

The brakes however are stock tomos. New pads and compressionless cables can help alot.

Yes, many people have put disk setups on tomos but it isn't straightforward bolt up.

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

Those are not k10 forks.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm almost certain that those are k10 forks. They are sweeeeeet. Alot

> came up on the nos market a few wears ago.

>

> The brakes however are stock tomos. New pads and compressionless cables

> can help alot.

>

> Yes, many people have put disk setups on tomos but it isn't

> straightforward bolt up.

Not k10 forks, look like maxi or free spirit forks.

Overpriced Parts /

Look like magnum XK/magnum II forks which are ok forks if you use a fork brace or a magnum fender and if the bushings are in good shape with everything tightened good

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> Look like magnum XK/magnum II forks which are ok forks if you use a fork

> brace or a magnum fender and if the bushings are in good shape with

> everything tightened good

Ding ding ding, we got a winner! Also those 105mm tomos wheels stop great, just grad some new shoes or sand the ones you have every few weeks

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

Yes, try this:

Remove the brake shoes. If they have 1/8" or more left of material, do not replace them. Sand all of the glaze off them, then spray off all of the grit from sanding with brake cleaner and let dry. While that is drying, also sand with 200 grit or emory the drum where the shoes contact. remove any corrosion or rust. Also spray clean with brake cleaner and let dry. Re-assemble and marvel at how much better the de-glazed brakes work!

get some of those springy hand grips rosario.

I cut sipes in my brake shoes ( sometimes I use a drill if I don’t have a hack saw) it makes them stop better... like about as good as you can get out of the stock set up as Dave said deglaze the pad and inside of the rim

This lil nugget is something Jbot mentioned years ago

3656EC82-34F3-42F2-A57D-BF119BA33E02.jpeg

Ok look.

I’ve made ever moped, every moped I’ve ever used to have great brakes.

Few things to do.

1. Sipe the pads (dremel slots in each shoe perpendicular to the shoe or on an angle) scuff up shoe top after with sandpaper

2. Lube connection points and the paddle that moves the shoes. Make sure it moves easily

3. Scuff the drum with sandpaper then clean well.

4. If the hand levers aren’t returning well, add springs on the cables between the stops

5. If the cable is too thin it will stretch and not grab well. Use at least 1.5-2mm inner cables.

6. Adjust cables and sometimes you must cut a lead end off and add a Knarp to get things closer

7. Engage the brake when tightening the axle to center the whole shebang

This is all I do and my brakes are kick ass. Even on my tiny 16in 5 stars. Sipes are the most amazing thing. I do them to all brakes and clutches (edited)

Rosario Miller /

Thanks for all the replies. I will sand them tomorrow to see if it helps. Does anyone have a picture of a new brake pad so I can see what 1/8 looks like? Once again thanks for the helping hand. Any idea why someone would change the forks?

> Rosario Miller Wrote:

> Does anyone have a picture of a new brake pad so I can see what

> 1/8 looks like?

You don't have a ruler ?

1/8" is close to 3 times the thickness of healthy finger nails .

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

>

> 7. Engage the brake when tightening the axle to center the whole shebang

>

^this makes a huge difference, and works on the same principal that self adjusting drum brakes on cars do. The center holes on brake plates are usually a loose fit, and therefore the pads are never truly concentric with the brake drum if you just slap them on. By engaging the brakes while you tighten down the axle nuts (or the nut that secures the brake plate on some models), you ensure that the pads are set in a position where they have as much contact as possible with the drum. The smallest amount of play between the center hole on the brake plate and the axle is all it takes to severely weaken braking power.

Its worth noting that new brake shoes aren't always the perfect shape to mach the radius of the brake drum, so they may need to wear in for a bit before you really notice a difference. If it takes a while, you might want to check the brake shoes again and lightly sand down the high spots, and reassemble the same way.

Also, wear a respirator when grinding/sanding brake shoes, and don't sipe/grind old brake shoes that may have asbestos

Re: How bad are Tomos brakes and fork

Rosario Miller /

I’m a idiot. I thought he meant 1/8 of the brake pad not a inch. Plan on working on the brakes this evening I’ll let you guys know how it goes. I have a minor issue with my front axle but where the wheel sits slightly crooked. I fixed it by putting a few washers on one side. But I’ll check everything when I do the brake job

I was just about to say that Brandon. Old shoes can have asbestos in. If you are not sure and not in a rush, spray them with water as you sipe, stops dust but you will have to wait for them to dry out. What are newer shoes made of?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account