God damn moped prices skyrocketing

So many moped asking prices are insane. Ebay is just nuts. Craigslist isn't much better. Flippers everywhere it seems. I mean who the hell wants to pay $5,000 for a simple moped? Mopeds are a lot of fun to ride and work on of course, its my favorite hobby. But so many asking prices are ridiculous.

Re: God damn moped prices skyrocketing

2021 is the year of the six figure moped. I'm gonna retire mabye this year I hope.

Seems to me mopeds have stayed under the radar for a long time. The price of Honda trails, monkey bikes, mini 50's, and everything else has been steadily rising (with some big leaps now and then.)

Mopeds are finally hitting that nostalgia status, the "what's old is new again" coolness.

Everyone is so used to selling within the community, that they didn't notice the "outsiders" coming in with real cash to spend.

Every bike I've sold in the last year went to people outside the community, for prices that everyone here laughed at.

Puch Maxi for $1200? You're crazy!

You're right, I only got $1100.

It happens with (almost) every hobby. Once it starts getting really expensive, the purists complain. Cars, bicycles, skateboards, mopeds...

It's all the same.

If people way pay for it, the prices will go up. It's just how it is, sucks.

I get the 1200 to maybe 2k range for something super special. But just saw someone post about an ad that had a broke down looking silver magnum for 5600.

Shit that makes the pair of TSM projects in SF for $6k almost worth it.

People are dumb. But just post up your skills for hire in your community so they can get their overpriced bikes running.

yeah i was into the 'cafe racer' thing before i got into mopeds and everyone griped about CB750's going into the 6 figure range, but honestly the number of people that want to spend that money, and they kind of bikes they want to buy... it doesn't really affect the crummy 150 dollar junkers i buy all the time.

i figure, you spend 6-700 on a vintage moped and you gotta replace tires, tubes, chains, rebuild engine, grips, cables, points, clean/rebuild carb, petcock, fuel lines, and rewire the thing to make it reliable

you spend 150 on a junker moped and you gotta replace tires, tubes, chains, rebuild engine, grips, cables, points, clean/rebuild carb, petcock, fuel lines, and rewire the thing to make it reliable

rebuilding the bikes and getting them dialed in so someone can hop on and ride is what separates the sub $500 bikes from the $$$$ and it takes a lot of skilled work to do it, so i think the hobby is pretty safe, aside from the occasional dummy posting their junk up for crazy money.

Big kits, fancy ignitions, all new clutch and brakes, etc.

Labor for complete disassembly, cleaning, painting,etc.

Tuning and breaking in.

If I was to sell my last two projects, I would have to get close to $2000 each to make it “worth my while”.

If you love the hobby, you normally just eat that cost selling to a friend. If I had some rando poser try to buy in, I would ask for what I put into my moped.

The only thing that REALLY concerns me with prices shooting up is the theft that comes with it. Mopeds have always been easy prey. Add a bunch of motive to steal them and they will vanish like catalytic converters in a walmart parking lot. 😕

Dirty30 Dillon /

Ugh, this again.

As Graham stated, this is the way.

Everyone wants Treats and DOS to provide all the parts for every bike and the large community with clubs in every city, but when that amount of industry and exposure to the public raises prices, then it's a problem.

Mopeds are now a "vintage motorsport." You either need to get with that notion and deal, or find a new, obscure hobby.

Yeah also, I will say, I know a couple people building and selling those $1500 maxis and they are nice, fully rebuilt, hop on and ride.

In 1978 my dad paid $600 for his fairly clean 1967 mustang (11 years old!) a puch maxi brand new was $350, if you count for inflation that's almost $2k, so a fully rebuilt, ready to hop on and ride classic Moped for $1500 is really a pretty good deal, maybe it's even got a properly built and tuned basic kit so it goes 45, is reliable, and pulls all the tail at the farmers market on a Saturday morning.

The other thing that's nice is that people are actually valuing bikes, parts, and doing more to save them. Plus guys like me can actually loose less money trying to provide aftermarket parts.

I've literally got all the mopeds I want and still managed to buy 6 or 7 in the last year for under $200 so it's all good in my hood.

Why everything is so expensive when I'm looking to buy, but when I'm selling it, it's basically worthless.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Very true.....lol

> Saabsonettguy . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Why everything is so expensive when I'm looking to buy, but when I'm

> selling it, it's basically worthless.

Tweaker trash /

Guys it’s just people with extra stimulus money over buying stuff or holding out for the guy with extra money. Look at Bitcoin! Everything will flatten out and settle again and make sense.

No one is selling any dirt bikes near me ether, I could pick up a okay running kx85 for $500 buck all day around me, now people want like $1,500.

It might take a few years (edited)

Yeah we just need to wait until the new owners of the over paid bikes want to sell them. Then they will be cheaper. Just change their fouled plug that caused their bike to stop running and ride into the sunset.

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> Yeah we just need to wait until the new owners of the over paid bikes

> want to sell them. Then they will be cheaper. Just change their fouled

> plug that caused their bike to stop running and ride into the sunset.

For some that might be 40 years down the road . LOL

Overpriced Parts /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Ugh, this again.

>

> As Graham stated, this is the way.

>

> Everyone wants Treats and DOS to provide all the parts for every bike

> and the large community with clubs in every city, but when that amount

> of industry and exposure to the public raises prices, then it's a

> problem.

>

> Mopeds are now a "vintage motorsport." You either need to get with that

> notion and deal, or find a new, obscure hobby.

Maybe for you and your market but not where I’m at,

I think you should Tour the United States to see how small your little world bubble is,

The west and left coast does not rule the United states like you and MSM says it does,

Where I’m at vehicles of any kind are reasonable If you’re willing to take time and look in the country

All kinds of deals on everything from a four wheel trucks, tractors, boats, performance cars motorcycle, Mopeds even planes you name it

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> Maybe for you and your market but not where I’m at,

>

> I think you should Tour the United States to see how small your little

> world bubble is,

>

> The west and left coast does not rule the United states like you and MSM

> says it does,

>

> Where I’m at vehicles of any kind are reasonable If you’re willing to

> take time and look in the country

>

> All kinds of deals on everything from a four wheel trucks, tractors,

> boats, performance cars motorcycle, Mopeds even planes you name it

I'm DYING at "my small bubble."

I have been all over the US, for work and pleasure, and mopeds are steadily rising all over, as validated by this post. It doesn't alter the fact that these small bikes are a luxury, and a nostalgia-buy for 99% of buyers. As such, the price for clean examples will only go up, especially as mopeds gain more and more media attention, whether it's social or otherwise.

Besides Ken, I have seen you post on plenty of these "mopeds are getting expensive posts" where you don't disagree with the comment, so if you're being stalwart just to oppose my "coastist" views, you can just chill. You're not more worldly than anyone simply because you live in Ohio and are old.

Resident of Columbus OH here, a city known in some circles as a moped Mecca. Columbus was home of Handy Bikes. We have a ton of mopeds and were known for it, so since around the year 2000 this has been a target of the moped culture for procuring garage find bikes at a low price. I remember Bandits traveling up for this very reason. Fast forward to 2010 and it took $700 fo me to buy an all stock magnum from original owner. You can't even find those these days without immense luck or connections, as hoarders and flippers have plagued the scene. Today you better not have a damn life and spend all your time on the internet if you expect that to work. If you ask me, it's the formation of these clubs that kinda monopolizes a local moped economy. Prices go up. Camaraderie and community help (without a catch) goes down.

Regarding what they're actually worth?? If we were good to one another and valued each other there wouldn't be so much fucking bitching. Anything of mine I've ever priced has been met with hate and push back because nobody values my work, nobody sees everything that goes into a well built bike. Thats why I have no interest in hoarding but find myself with 6 or 7 mopeds. I don't need them, I just enjoy building them, and this cheap ass community doesn't value shit. (I know I know, shots fired eh?)

I'd price mine like this. Superbuild show winner magnum $3500, blaster full build magnum XK $2750, puch swapped revival front end Batavus $2500 etc etc. And at those prices I still wouldn't jump to sell.

If you want to pay $600 for something that rides, expect it to go 25mph and be sketchy as fuck. You know, a moped. If you want to stunt like me or anyone else building anything of quality that doesn't break or leave you vulnerable, pay to play or give that sweat equity because the only other way is by fucking SOMEONE over. Don't be that person.

Im in Orange County, So. California, and every moped I have sold this year except for the Ducati I sold to Baird, the people paying good money dont want to hear about the maintenance and upkeep that comes with it. I give them a quick rundown on how to remove the carb, sparkplug, check out MA Wiki, Freds, ask people in the forums, but they dont seem to care. Mopeds are assholes and they will betray you at least once when you least expect it, quick ride to the store and you come out, "It was riding fine, rode it to school today, everything was fine, and all of a sudden, my moped wont start now, help" Yet they want a vintage moped and they will pay.

I sold a Ciao to some chick from Sweden 6 months ago who lives in Santa Monica, i asked her recently how was the ciao, she told me it wont start so she hasnt been riding it for 5 months, i have her check a couple things, the dingbat didnt have the fuel valve on.

roots to wings /

I haven't seen any runners available near Massachusetts for under $500 since April. Even a non-runner for $300 would be a really good deal if it was complete. Heck I was considering buying a seized engine last night for $100. I am sure that in some parts of the country there are guru-moped types who can find a moped for $100 and put all their expertise and spare parts and mods into it and do all the work on it themselves who are in the game for the pure love of mopeds and I am so grateful to all of them as they are invaluable in helping the rest of us useless noobs fix the shit they overpaid for, while they get endlessly frustrated from the stupid stuff we do and failure to listen to sound advice, or even understand seemingly simple things like ignition and wiring. Then there are those of us who love mopeds or are reconnecting to something from long ago and mostly want to ride, but are willing to wrench and learn, but will probably never hone a cylinder, mill a head, weld a pipe, or port an engine as they don't have the expertise, tools, time, or money. I got back into the game after 33 years as I was about to let go of the rest of what was left of my childhood moped for short money and decided to take a run at fixing it. So glad I did, but there is some stuff I'll never be able to do for one reason or another and as a result I might have to pay a little more for a fleet bike. Ain't nothing wrong with that. I can understand how a Maxi could be worth $1000 and why it pisses many off. Whatever. But I have to say there is no better feeling than fixing your shit and running it down the road in the sun and on dry pavement and riding with family. The harmonic sound of multiple mopeds tooling down a country rode is one of the coolest things I could hope for in these times and most of us here on this forum could prolly agree on that.

> Nile Muti Wrote:

> Im in Orange County, So. California, and every moped I have sold this

> year except for the Ducati I sold to Baird, the people paying good money

> dont want to hear about the maintenance and upkeep that comes with it. I

> give them a quick rundown on how to remove the carb, sparkplug, check

> out MA Wiki, Freds, ask people in the forums, but they dont seem to

> care. Mopeds are assholes and they will betray you at least once when

> you least expect it, quick ride to the store and you come out, "It was

> riding fine, rode it to school today, everything was fine, and all of a

> sudden, my moped wont start now, help" Yet they want a vintage moped

> and they will pay.

>

> I sold a Ciao to some chick from Sweden 6 months ago who lives in Santa

> Monica, i asked her recently how was the ciao, she told me it wont start

> so she hasnt been riding it for 5 months, i have her check a couple

> things, the dingbat didnt have the fuel valve on.

It is always the fuel valve or an empty tank in general. I'm having a hard time wanting to sell any bikes anyway since I like them all for different reasons. But I know the wife is going to start making a fuss as I start going over 6 bikes.

I live in rural maine and have sheds to hide bikes and all other junk I collect. Garage has four bikes and sheds have many others haha. I only keep the ones I realy like to look at in the shop and the others can go in the sheds until I pull them out for a good dusting and can gaze at them, lol. I try and sell but it is hard. I am getting better though. With prices o. The rise I can only make 300% I guess

Some of the MA long time veterans would know, but isn’t there some sort of pattern happening over the last 10 years or so? I’m not even 2 years in and the “cheap” bikes seem to be getting worse in condition and the complete ones not running, but with potential, now start around $250. Haven’t found a runner for less than $400. But then again, my region has always been tough because mopeds here have always gotten ridden nearly all year, as opposed to being put up during winter.

Here in France, you were almost tripping over mopeds around 3-4 years ago, now they are getting hard to find. The special editions are going for big money. Every seller thinks they've got something rare. This happened with metal and enamel advertising signs too.

Someone in business please use the correct terminology. There is no money in mopeds it is a hobby ok?

Now how many people have spent more money and time on there ped buying stuff for it ....(Now why isnt anyone complaining about the price of parts? This the real scam in this addiction, the moped is the vehicle and the drugs/parts are pricey) , dreaming about parts, locating parts, fixing it for weeks etc, etc and actually sell it at a loss...everyone i bet.

So ok what if you dont have any income and are willing to "work" for yourself making say .15 c an hour, hooray for you mr. businessman! If you really calculate it out thats how much time n money you are making.

Agreed. I’m self employed. Mopeds should be for fun. Thought of that way, they still come w plenty of headaches so fuck making it a business... those that do it ethically and well AND serve this fickle community with grace are saints imo (treats, dos, cranks, etc etc)

Dirty30 Dillon /

Treats, DOS, Cranks, all the brick and mortar shops across the states are actually testaments to the fact that there is business to be had in mopeds.

If you're an enthusiast and AnGrY that people are making money of your hobby, you've put yourself in that situation.

Mopeds are a hobby, and as such they are non-essential. This is like people complaining about the rising cost of film and processing. No one is FORCING anyone to shoot film now, it's a luxury, so complaining about the price is ridiculous.

roots to wings /

what are we going to do when e-bikes turn our peds into Red Barchetta's?

15 cents an hour ?

You're being rather generous , Pat . LOL

And , in case it's not apparent , everything is cyclical . (edited)

It always makes me laugh when people complain about moped/parts prices. Look at any decent bicycle right now, $5000-$15000 for a bicycle with no engine. Then look at parts for bikes, $100 for a tire and moped tires are $25-$40 and that’s too much for some moped enthusiast. For someone to thro a tissy over a built 1k maxi is a joke! Y’all like “back in my day hot dogs were a nickel and we could go to the show and get a pop for a dime!” We should all be thankful that we got to live in the day were we could get $100 mopeds and not bitch about the current market. That being said I love cheap mopeds but do not mind paying more if it’s a moped I really want, hell it’s still cheaper than a shitty new bicycle anywho.

^^^amazing how people in the biz r butt hurt.

Imho, mopeds r a niche market with inflated aftermarket product prices.

Anyone, really look at your order and ask yourself is this really worth the dough? Is it really going to get me that high? (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account