Trike build

So I have been posting random shit about gearing and what not but we are getting mega rain here in the north and all the snow has gone away so I decided to pull the pryer rear end from the tomos frame tonight. Damn this thing is heavy. Plan is to use a motron frame I have and have a polini kitted kick start v1 I also have. I know I have to do a little trimming and swimming to get the chain to line up but should be pretty easy. I know o need to put a way larger rear sproket on this this thing as it has a 30 tooth for the tomos. I figure I need a 42 to 45. I have never dug into one of these differential type rear ends and am wondering what others have done. Is this sprocket replaceable or fixed? I have a bunch of Italian four bolt sprockets so gonna try and make one work. Bolt pattern on one of these is??? I have no idea? I dont realy want to tear into it until I have the parts or know what I'm getting into so it's just not torn apart and parts get lost or what ever. Any info would be great.

Satan

20201225_172945.jpg
20201225_172954.jpg

Re: Trike build

Here is the trike tag for people that are interested. I have the fenders but no fiberglass box that sucks but I am gonna build something nice for it.

20201225_174634.jpg

I'm also wondering if I run a 9 tooth front sproket with the 30 if i will be ok? I have run 10/34 gearing on a normal v1 polini bike and have had good luck?

I believe the bolt pattern is the same on both sides of the differential, 4 holes, but not evenly spaced. Sprockets are available, but make sure you get one for the right chain.

The diff and axle is the same as a lot of rear engine riding mowers from the 70-80s, I think it's a peerless but Im not sure. Normally they run a #35 chain so that's gonna be the more common size. If it were me I'd probably just grab a Moped sprocket and drill the axle bolt pattern

Yeah that's the plan I think. I got to find my sprockets. I know I got a good stack of Italian four hole around.

Malcolm Browne /

my pryer has a 36 tooth, its a model that was designed for a batavus regency. i'm running it on a stock pepi delux with a 9 tooth sprocket and 16x2.5 tires. goes about 30 and for me that about as fast as id ever want to go on it. i think having a polini would def help the torque. I did run into chain clearance problems running the 9 tooth on the trike frame. so you might need a chain tensioner to lift it up a bit. excited to see your progress!

IMG_0096.jpg

Nice. You are a maine guy also. Not far from me to. We should go for a ride this spring

Malcolm Browne /

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nice. You are a maine guy also. Not far from me to. We should go for a

> ride this spring

hell ya!

The axle is a modified version of the Peerless 100, bolt pattern for the sprocket is the 4 through bolts, the other 2 bolts are to keep it together when you have removed the sprocket to service or to relube the diff. SUper easy to work on and lots of premade sprockets out there for #35 chain. To work #41 (and derivatives of that series) you can search out various ''weld on" sprockets with a whole bunch of tooth counts from manufacturing suppliers.

Peerless100-120drawing.jpg

These guys will custom cnc a sprocket to fit if you know what size you want

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=2107

The have other shyte that is interesting as well

Interesting, yeah mine definitely don't have 1" axle shafts, I don't think they have 6 bolts either but I would have to check. I've been thinking I need to pull the one out before it ends up buried in snow.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /
PryerGadabout.jpg

Here is one from my fleet of many long gone and forgotten. This is a Pryer Gadabout. It definitely has a Peerless 1" axle diff, and the wheels are 1" with keyway

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /
Pryerblue.jpg

I see from your vin tag, yours used to look like mine when it left the factory

Yeah sorry I'm confusing things. I have a couple rear engine riders in the weeds that have peerless axles I've been meaning to pull out.

Just pulled the donor motron outnof the shed. Looks like I am gonna have to hack the do a little hacking on the frame to get the sprockets to line up but no biggie. Would like to run rear shocks but we will see. I'm lazy so may just be rigid. Got to yarn a polini off one of my bikes and put it on the ks motor. Gonna just run it stock for the time being to make sure the ks motor is ok.

20201228_150757.jpg

Also gonna have to hack up a pipe so it fits under the trike frame.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

With such a long chain run you are better off rigid anyway.

I'm very interested in how this works out. I have pretty much the same setup; Pryer rear end from a Batavus going on to a Motron. I'll need to make the swing arm connection wider and get a chain tensioner as well. It does look like stock shocks will line up. Not sure how a stock V1 pipe will connect. Good to know you can swap the rear sprocket, though.

What are you referring to regarding a #35 or #41 chain? Do they not take a 415 chain?

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> I'm very interested in how this works out. I have pretty much the same

> setup; Pryer rear end from a Batavus going on to a Motron. I'll need to

> make the swing arm connection wider and get a chain tensioner as well.

> It does look like stock shocks will line up. Not sure how a stock V1

> pipe will connect. Good to know you can swap the rear sprocket, though.

>

> What are you referring to regarding a #35 or #41 chain? Do they not

> take #415

The swingarm on the motron is wider than the mount on the trike. I am just gonna cut the tube on the motron frame and use washers or spacers to line up the chain. Should be pretty easy. Pipe mounting will be pretty simple also. Just gonna have to cut the header so the pipe will fit under the trike frame. All the pipes I have are more up swept so they will not work. This is as far I got last night.

20201228_182553.jpg

So I measured the axle and it only 3/4. I imagine the sprockets are the same as the 1" axle. Gonna call that company and just have them make me one.

> Saabsonettguy . Wrote:

> They don't have one that will work?

> http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=catalog&parent=105&pg=1

Looks like you have to have 415 made unless you are seeing something I dont? (edited)

Says custom made? I called and left a message.

Screenshot_20201230-134433_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm not saying you should but if it was me, I'd just run a 41 rear sprocket and 41 chain. The only difference is that the 41 chain is 1/16 wider than 415.

I get ya

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

Yes 41 chain works just fine. I run it on my Pryer

Ordered a sproket and chain I can get cheap, thanks.

Got my sprocket today. They had a 42 so I went with that. Was on sale so it cost me like 20 less. Was still about 40 with shipping. Thanks for the links! Funny i just got home and opened it up and grabbed a beer and headed out to the shop. Thing fits perfect on top of my tall boy, haha

20210106_181633.jpg

So I got a chance tonight to cut the frame and toss the v1ks in. Got to remove the kick stand and make a place for your feet? Kinda leaning towards a full platform style coming off the trike frame.

1610261505499115470503683849472.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account