New Moped Day!

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

I went to our local motorcycle junkyard to look for some kids dirt bike forks to get for a build I’m considering and this moped was in the show room and it was priced right.

4FF7B2C8-E997-4540-B9C1-C4296DAC723B.jpeg

So I ended up coming home with this really clean Motobecane 7!

F9458D2B-4775-43DD-8D45-2282F17F7EFE.jpeg

I’ve never owned a motobecane but my research says this was the cheapest of the line in the day. I just really like the looks even though the engineering seems suspect to me. It started right up when I put some gas in it! Are they’re any experts on this bike here? Is there any common failure points I should take a look at. Even though I’ve rode and wrenched on mopeds for over 10 years now these bikes are totally new to me so I’d appreciate some community knowledge! I have a couple months before it’s warm enough to ride here.

D53E1A8B-38D6-486A-94B8-57331A583FCA.jpeg

Re: New Moped Day!

Nice find! (edited)

What a beautiful bike, I have one just like it, right down to the Hopkins Schwinn sticker on the seat post area! They are a low end model, but nothing wrong with engineering, especially if well taken care of as yours seems to have been, variation on the Av7 engine, exhaust is unique to the bike. Single speed Dimoby clutch. Grease the shaft and that's about it. Novi nut on the flywheel is reverse thread if you feel the need to get in there. I would not disengage the drive, done with the switch on the driven pulley, as it can be quite difficult to re-engage. Rims are weak compared to the 50 series, so be very careful of potholes, and over loading it. The vin tag will have an A, B or C on it, this shows speed, B=25, the others indicate 20 and 30, can't remember which way it goes though, mine is a B and I got about 27 out of it on a flat, they don't have a ton of hill climbing power, but fun little run-around bikes. If you lose your lights there is a ground under the rear fender that the bolt vibes loose on and falls off, this will leave you with brake light only. Easy fix. Did you get this at Sport Wheels? I have not been out there in years, might need to take a run for something to do! There is a section in the wiki about these, and some ways to up performance, but I can't see wanting to go more than around 30 on it. here is a pic of mine, enjoy! (edited)

021.jpg

Stephen! Nice one! Yes I got this one from sport wheels! There was a nice MB5 there right now! Too much for 50cc for me though!!

Thanks for the advice I totally have only a working brake light! Gonna check that ASAP!

My vin says B too! Are your floorboards white or navy blue?

Mine are Navy, let me know if the bolt fixes the lights, I never got around to taking the wheel off, I never rode it at night so never cared, but I got up in there and looked, my guess is the brake light is grounded through the switches? I would also avoid the kill switch, they are bad design on Motobecane's part, stop the engine with the decomp. Stock mix is 32:1. Glad to help out. I have to get my butt out to sw, an MB-5 you say.... ;) The carb and intake are also unique to this bike. I'm jelly of your mirror, the plastic bushings on mine disintegrated, yours looks like it came from a 50v. (edited)

Wish we still had a motorcycle salvage barn here. I used to love going there.

Check out the sport wheels web site, it's kind of weak but the place is amazing.

Go get it! Looks like it’s missing a head light and kickstart or did they have pedals because it’s missing something on the other side too!

497276A0-0331-4FB2-B6D8-0EC21F51BDBC.jpeg

They were kick-start, I used to own one, LOVED that bike so much, there were some that had pedals, not sold in the USA, if that is one of them it is very collectable, but I would not want pedals on a shifty.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> They were kick-start, I used to own one, LOVED that bike so much, there

> were some that had pedals, not sold in the USA, if that is one of them

> it is very collectable, but I would not want pedals on a shifty.

Just sold the mb5 I picked up this summer. Got way to many bikes and not enough time. Cool little bike but I can only have so many little bikes.

You best be keeping the Gyro... :)

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You best be keeping the Gyro... :)

Yep. Not going anywhere

Cool, those are so....unique, I prefer the one before the model you got, you got the one that looks like a spree right? Have heard they are kind of awkward to ride, and slow, so not ideal for today's road conditions, (phone in face speeders) but the wtf is that factor makes owing one worthwhile to me. :) There is a guy on here importing Japan spec ones, more powerful and different styles, ever seen the one with a roof? SOOOO cool.

Hope your original (Gurtner) carburetor is in good shape. If it craps out, just know that the common solution of installing a Dellorto SHA is a pretty good upgrade—get one with the cable choke and read up on that a bit. The carb has to sit at an angle, which bugs me, but it works. How are your “silent blocks” motor mounts looking? All three of mine were bad. That’s a big problem for this kind of Moby—engine will shake like hell if those mounts are bad. Easy bike to work in, overall. Here’s mine. Guess all these Type 7’s were this funky blue color....? (edited)

2FB7892B-CC47-409D-8B4A-8CEE21EF0349.jpeg

In Europe these were known as the Ranger, and some came in Red, but only seen the blue here.

You have access to moped junk yard?

You are truly blessed. The countless hours that

saves just made me happy. Good for you.

Nice ride.

I agree.

Stephen Keller it sounds like you are local to us in the Twin Cities?

Yes, Hopkins MN.

Sweet! hope to meet you at a casseroller ride some day.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account